Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is 3D printing the future?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Is 3D printing the future?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 09:32:04 PM »
I can visualise the GW printer..  the Emperor model will be so Skullz encrusted it will be barely functional...
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2022, 02:06:30 PM »
A GW 3D printer might or might not come about, but I can definitely think of some sort of proprietary 3D printing software that you might be required to run in order to print their models to enable a charge per print.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2022, 02:48:58 PM »
I can fully see GW of the future, going the "coffeepod loyalty method" at some point if they identify a way of incentivising and locking in the customer base for a generation or two, once a printing method comes along that safely eliminates any hazardous materials/stages.

short print run licences or resin " pods" for your GW only compatible pods printer.

I totally forgot about the material. I think you're right- a GW 3D printer would use a coffee pod style setup for the material, with a security chip like HP likes to do with their ink cartridges.

Short walk from "fail-cast" to "fail-print".
lol
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Proprietary limited printer will only print gw files, using gw resin (which per ounce will be more valuable than gold), and with online designs for which you pay per print. Subscription models will allow you to print x times per month of x design. Fire up the printer, the file gets loaded from the gw server, once for one print, it's never on the printer itself.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »
Proprietary limited printer will only print gw files, using gw resin (which per ounce will be more valuable than gold), and with online designs for which you pay per print. Subscription models will allow you to print x times per month of x design. Fire up the printer, the file gets loaded from the gw server, once for one print, it's never on the printer itself.

You neglected to mention that they'll attempt to patent electricity as the power source used by the machine.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.