Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689711
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 736
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: State of the tabletop wargaming world at the moment?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Pancreasboy

• Assistant
State of the tabletop wargaming world at the moment?
« on: April 26, 2022, 11:34:15 AM »

Hey there all. I’m Ross Franks, long-time gamer, painter, modeler, 3D graphic designer known as Pancreasboy. I've been out of the gaming world for a while and I want to see what's being played these days, their positive and negative aspects and if my 3D design skills can contribute in any way.

To do that I’ve created this questionnaire that should only take 5-10 minutes and I'll release the results in the future.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdf1pi9GXy1Ja7vp5m8WkXkx4JHbVLDAFppfGZXOPMAT3MntQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Looking forward to your comments.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: State of the tabletop wargaming world at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 12:50:55 PM »
Welcome back into the fold!  :D

Form filled out and sent. I would be interested to see the end results too btw...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »
Form filled in, but some answers can only be lies the way it demands a choice from a list of irrelevant options.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »
Form filled in, but some answers can only be lies the way it demands a choice from a list of irrelevant options.

Indeed

Poorly thought out options made into obligatory fields. I gave up answering when I got bounced back to fill out responses to (to me) meaningless categories.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 10:43:35 PM »
Seemed okay to me. Each question gives an “Other” option if you don’t like the options given.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 04:09:09 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 04:05:11 AM »
We clearly understand different meanings when we hear the word always.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 07:10:11 PM »
 I started this. But too many personal questions at the start - mainly choose non-answers here.

But then just too many questions and some quite odd answer options, and too many mandatory questions.

Gave up part of the way through.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 11:10:27 AM »
The questions were very geared up around 3D printing and attending conventions.  If you did neither then some follow on questions were impossible to answer.

Offline Pancreasboy

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »
Thanks guys and sorry if the questions seemed bias (as I'm trying to mix my hobby with my 3D skills, so that's why some of the questions may have turned out the way they did).

Feel free to tell me if there should have been some missed questions that should have been added.

And thanks for those who have given feedback so far, if you haven't used the Questionnaire yet feel free to give it a go when you can.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 02:50:27 PM »
In retrospect, the convention scenes in the US and the UK are likely to be very different…

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
In retrospect, the convention scenes in the US and the UK are likely to be very different…

And there haven't been a lot of them in the past couple years.
On top of the fact both nearby game shops went under, due to the lockdown.

I'm getting the sense - around here at least - gaming has shifted to online events, or small house groups like mine.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 03:16:54 PM »
Well I responded, but there were some strange choices in there - figure scales no 10mm, then you had 28mm, 30mm, 32mm! Too much about 3d printing really as many of us have little interest and you should not be asking for too much Personal Identifying Information like year of birth (use age bands if you really want to ask).

Offline Pancreasboy

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 12:02:32 PM »
Hey there all, as promised here’s the results to the questionnaire I provided recently, on my Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/groups/twistedpancreasgames (or if you sent me your email address you should have received it already, check your junk mail).

Thanks to over 560 responses (and more people are still contributing) I’m looking to start with something that was fairly in demand and yet serves all genres of gaming… modular Battle Mats which I’ll start a new post about it here ( https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136683.0 ) or on my above facebook group link.

Thanks for all your help again and hopefully I can provide you all with some exciting and useful items for your wargaming!

Game on!

Offline Pancreasboy

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 01:01:37 AM »
Hey there guys, for easier access I’ve released a direct link to the questionnaire I provided recently, here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wKVMxZByydSS-exA-O1qGERX5Rsuzq8X/view while I’m considering the Battle Mats option I’m also looking to start with something that was fairly in demand, ie humour, modularity and quick games, that will be great to casually invite new players into the hobby and also give veteran gamers a bit of a beer and pretzel game.

It will be called “Bad Goods”. Think aliens who turned our everyday “goods” into killing machines against humanity, only for them to rebel and turn on the aliens as well. Now the Bad Goods roam the planet seeking their enemies and fighting amongst their own factions whilst upgrading themselves.

Basically before and in-game you will be able to change front and back sections (Numbers 1-3 in the linked image below) with different chassis then you can loadout the “Bad Goods” with addons and weapons (Numbers 4-7 in the linked image below) all with a snap together system. And then let the carnage begin with scenarios, speed ramps, teleporters and more!

Anyhow I thought I’d see what you all thought and you can see it’s all in the early stages with very simple 3d models and some test 3d prints (which will eventually be resin print files with post apocalyptic details, such as chains, skulls, damage, etc).

Keep in mind I will also be creating some popular scenery files for other games as well at the same time.

So thanks again for all your help again and hopefully I can provide you all with some exciting and useful items for your wargaming!

Game on!

Feel free to follow future updates here https://www.facebook.com/groups/twistedpancreasgames