Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Auto Sahariana forces in North Africa  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Auto Sahariana forces in North Africa
« on: May 17, 2022, 09:29:24 AM »
I'm building forces for North Africa using Chain of Command and one of the areas that no one has ventured into (so far) is that of the LRDG and their opponents, Auto Sahariana companies. I am working in 28mm and will look at 3D printing vehicles while I have existing figures in that scale. I'm looking for ideas on forces used and have DAK Attack from Offensive Miniatures on order and it has been suggested that I use the old FoW books for list inspiration. While there are many books written about the LRDG, the SAS and their offshoots, I find a dearth of books on the Axis forces that opposed these units, particularly Italians any suggestions? I like the thought of Saharians AS42 and perhaps even the earlier AS37s.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Auto Sahariana forces in North Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
Perry do the Sahariana (from Blitzkrieg) cars,Rubicon do nice Chevys et cetera, 3D printing just doesn’t cut it(yet).
The Italian forces were not that successful chasing up the LRDG,so perhaps that’s the explanation for lack of English sources? Derek Robinson wrote a very good fictional account of the Desert Airforce (A Good Clean Fight),SAS,and the Africa Korps trying to catch them,very inspirational ,and a jolly good read (as are all his books). Don’t forget Brigade Ramke and Popski were also swanning about,plenty of room for all sorts of scenarios.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:50:30 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 10:40:27 AM »
Rubicon have just announced a Sahariana. Photos of it on their Faecesbook page.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11:12:47 AM »
Blackwolf, thank you for the author recommend. I would agree to disagree on 3D printing. Just this week, I printed an Italian AB41 which has come up beautifully, through one of my local libraries and I intend to print some AS42 next week. Yes, there are some issues but for the price when faced with horrific import costs these days (Brexit & Covid caused), they are a good cheaper option.

Perry do the Sahariana (from Blitzkrieg) cars,Rubicon do nice Chevys et cetera, 3D printing just doesn’t cut it(yet).
The Italian forces were not that successful chasing up the LRDG,so perhaps that’s the explanation for lack of English sources? Derek Robinson wrote a very good fictional account of the Desert Airforce (A Good Clean Fight),SAS,and the Africa Korps trying to catch them,very inspirational ,and a jolly good read (as are all his books). Don’t forget Brigade Ramke and Popski were also swanning about,plenty of room for all sorts of scenarios.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »
Look forward to seeing what you come up with. One of my favourite campaigns.