Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696167
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just what the Elke needs  (Read 9793 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Just what the Elke needs
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »
Saw this on TMP.

http://www.adalbertus.com.pl/go/_info/?id=1234

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Wolf_(auxiliary_cruiser)

Scout plane for a Jerry auxiliary cruiser? Wait a minute... I like planes. I've got a toy Jerry auxiliary cruiser. I must have one! Okay, so perhaps the Elke is a little small to fit one of those on her deck, but maybe they carry it around packed up in crates?

Or something... Oh I don't care, I'm getting one anyway. Out Oct 15th. 25 Euros. Not a bargain exactly, but I've seen (and paid) far worse in the world of obscure 1/48th scale Great War kites.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Just what the Elke needs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:48:49 PM »
It´s lovely, but it´s not exactly a ship-borne plane, isn´t it? Just before I left, an aircraft magazine ran an article on early torpedo craft used by the German Marineflieger in WW1 - this was apparently used by them, but based on land.

EDIT: Never mind the above, I just read the article you linked.

Nonetheless, this would make a totally lovely addition to the "Elke". First thing I bought when I had settled in here was a DVD of "African Queen" and now I´m again itching to do some boats again... I might suggest, though, looking for a Hansa Brandenburg floatplane, because it would be more compact and probably as lovely. Provided there´s one in 1/48th scale. This one´s going to be rather big, though, so I guess 25 Euros might not be that unfair and grotesquely overpriced.

In that case, go ahead, buy one, build a lovely piece of it and treat us to another installment of the 5F.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:51:12 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
You have a point that a little Hansa-Brandenburg W-29 might suit the eye better. I like this one more though, and it is historically authentic for the purpose. Anyway I haven't had any luck hunting down a H-B in 1/48th so far (other than the CC flying boat).

We'll see. As you suggest, I'll probably get it anyway just for the fun of building it, even if it never pairs up with the Elke.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
I would have thought the solution was rather obvious, build a bigger boat. All the Akula kids are doing it.  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
Dylan, you are only allowed to buy one if you also buy a steam catapult for the Elke.   >:D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
You have a point that a little Hansa-Brandenburg W-29 might suit the eye better. I like this one more though, and it is historically authentic for the purpose. Anyway I haven't had any luck hunting down a H-B in 1/48th so far (other than the CC flying boat).

I´ll unashamedly admit that I´m biased in that I consider the Hansa Brandenburg aircraft the most appealing central powers aircraft of the war... ;) Of course, actually *finding* a model might be a problem, as you pointed out.

Dylan, you are only allowed to buy one if you also buy a steam catapult for the Elke.    >:D

Given that they didn´t yet use catapults for those floatplanes (or at least I´m unaware of catapults until the 1920s), I´d say we let him off with building a towed pontoon or barge to house the maintenance workshop, spares and stuff.

Again, I´m kicking myself here for not bringing "The Man from Tanganyika" over to the UK. In this Micheluzzi comic, the Königsberg also had a small floatplane at her disposal. Nice yarn, though not as catchy as "Bab-el-Mandeb".
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:45:50 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
Dylan, you are only allowed to buy one if you also buy a steam catapult for the Elke.   >:D

A floatplane doesn't require a steam catapult to take off, you silly goose. Something to lower it into the sea is all that one needs. I would imagine a small winch/crane effort could easily be rigged from the masts of merchantman.

I gather Admiral Benbow is the man to see about cranes around here.  :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:53:43 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »
Nice plane! Guys you looking at the wrong country. Something for our forgotten hero from AH!

When I get a chance I'll look at something for Austria.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »
Helen, you will be pleased to hear I currently have four (FOUR!) K.u.K. aircraft awaiting completion in the Plynkes-Flugzeugfabrik. God knows when I'll get around to them, though.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
Hmm, no wonder I can't seem to find any AH aircraft, you have all of them!  lol

It will be lovely to see when you do have a chance to get back into your project at some point after the competition know doubt?

Ciao,

Helen

former user

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
I can only quote this:
"In the inter-war years, it was common for cruisers and battleships to be equipped with catapult-launched reconnaissance seaplanes. A few navies, especially those which lacked true aircraft carriers, also acquired catapult-equipped seaplane carriers for fleet reconnaissance purposes."

from here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaplane_carrier
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:32:46 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »
I can only quote this:
"In the inter-war years, it was common for cruisers and battleships to be equipped with catapult-launched reconnaissance seaplanes. A few navies, especially those which lacked true aircraft carriers, also acquired catapult-equipped seaplane carriers for fleet reconnaissance purposes."

from here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaplane_carrier

You may noticed former user that this is a WW1 board and topics covering WW1 are posted here!

Helen

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »
You may noticed former user that this is a WW1 board and topics covering WW1 are posted here!

Helen

Yes, as I was so *rudely* snubbedHammers Irony TM by Plynkes when I suggested such a contraption for the Elke I read up a bit on the topic. Steam catapults for aircraft were indeed invented quite late in the 19th century but were not implemented in any scale until the the 20ies and 30ies. I stand corrected. I bow my head.

But steam catapults are so cool and in our skewed perspective on reality the Elke could have a Preussian tinkerer equivalent of Professeur Tournesol aboard. See?! Not so easily suppressed, am I?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:34:43 AM by Hammers »

former user

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »
Sorry Madam

I stand corrected - I only wanted to contibute to this aspect:
"Given that they didn´t yet use catapults for those floatplanes (or at least I´m unaware of catapults until the 1920s), I´d say we let him off with building a towed pontoon or barge to house the maintenance workshop, spares and stuff."

whether steam catapults were used in WWI or later
if my quotation is useless or uninteresting at all, I shall delete the post

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
Steam catapults for aircraft invented in the late 19th Century, Hammers? That's a rather interesting idea seeing as the first aeroplane didn't fly until 1903. What did they use them for while they were sitting around waiting for the aeroplane to be invented? Clay pigeon shooting?  lol

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Hammers, but I think a steam catapult is a little too snazzy for Elke. She's a simple country girl. I've nothing against steam catapults, I'm sure they're very nice. But as I said, she doesn't actually need one, and it just complicates matters. Besides, there's no room for the damn plane, let alone a catapult.

former user, your post and link was very interesting. Please do not delete it. Seaplane carriers are indeed very relevant to the Great War.