Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:20:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3D printed figures - insane amounts of flash??  (Read 609 times)

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
3D printed figures - insane amounts of flash??
« on: May 30, 2022, 11:09:39 AM »
I recently took the plunge into the world of 3D printed figures and put in an order through Etsy.

I eventually received my figures yesterday.

If I can ask a total newbie question - is it normal for 3D printed figs to come with a huge amount of flash?

Each of the figures is cocooned inside a lattice of the print material. It literally looks like scaffolding. It is going to take ages to remove it without damaging the finer detail on the figs themselves.

Is that normal??

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
Re: 3D printed figures - insane amounts of flash??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 11:21:34 AM »
I think you mean the supports: it would normally be easier if they are removed just after the printing process and before the curing, but I don't know how many people willdo this if they are selling the printed item. I think this should be clarified with the seller beforehand, some charge a little amount for that additional work
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »
That's just bad service in my opinion...  :?

I personally always do this after curing too though, to prevent deforming the uncured products when removing them. Supports usually end in a thinner point, so breaking them off the actual figure should not be too difficult, cured or not.

You only need to take care when removing them from small, fidly bits, as those might end up weaker than their supports.

I actually find the removing of the supports to be quite enjoyable; the breaking off of the supports makes a nice brisk little sound and I find that breaking them off usually leaves little to no material behind. And the material that does remain, is easily cut or scraped away with a sharp blade.

But the point remains that it's just bad form to leave them on when printing and shipping to a customer. However; it could be that the supports are left on as a sort of transport protection, which would be sort of understandable, come to think about it...

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 02:15:42 PM »
You only need to take care when removing them from small, fidly bits, as those might end up weaker than their supports.

I actually find the removing of the supports to be quite enjoyable; the breaking off of the supports makes a nice brisk little sound and I find that breaking them off usually leaves little to no material behind. And the material that does remain, is easily cut or scraped away with a sharp blade.

But the point remains that it's just bad form to leave them on when printing and shipping to a customer. However; it could be that the supports are left on as a sort of transport protection, which would be sort of understandable, come to think about it...

Snapping off the support material does have its own satisfaction, like popping bubblewrap or something! But it is almost always leaving small nodules of material on the figure that I will need to remove with a craft knife. Bit of a pain, but not much worse than cleaning flash off a metal figure I suppose.

Indeed the supports were probably left on for extra shipping protection.

My lack of familiarity with 3D printing commercial norms was why I didn't want to post pics and imply criticism of the manufacturer, especially if they were actually trying to be helpful!

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 02:53:43 PM »
as others have said, It's best done when the print is fresh, prior to curing.

I will admit I made the same mistake when I took some 3d printed stuff to salute - I didn't know you were supposed to remove them before curing. My reasoning was that it was much easier to transport and bag 15mm infantry by the strip if they were all nicely supported on a tidy scaffold.

Now I would remove the supports myself before selling anything printed, But that's also because it makes curing  and cleaning easier. I know a few people don't do this, especially those who ship alot of 3d printed stuff and are basically farming prints 24/7.