Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690524
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cattle and other livestock???  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Cattle and other livestock???
« on: June 20, 2022, 12:03:17 PM »
Do you good folks put bases on your cattle/livestock?

I recently purchased a set of ERTL 1/64 cattle off Amazon, 20 full grown and 5 calves.  To me they fit right in with the 28mm figures I have (I would post photos but I can't get it to work or I need more posts before I can).

I'm trying to decide if I want to put each one on individual bases, put multiples on a larger base, or leave them without bases.

If they're simply going to be in a corral then a single, large base seems ideal, even on a cattle drive a long, narrow base might work.  But then if you want to depict strays using individual or no bases seems the best choice.  I guess it would also depend on any rules applying to cattle: Do they wander off or do they stay in a group?

Back to the ERTL cattle.  The set I got are all the same color (black) so I'm going to paint at least a few of them brown and white with spots of brown.  There were a few different sets on Amazon and I may get a couple more.  Might need some longhorns!!!
The crow flies at midnight

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Cattle and other livestock???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »
I’ve currently got the same dilemma…think I’m going to go with round bases with 3 or 4 cattle per base.

:)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 12:25:53 PM »
Multi-base with a couple of singles would seem to be the best option.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:39:51 PM »
Yup round bases with different numbers on them

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 08:00:01 PM »
3rd vote for bases. Either all single or some multi and a couple of singles like frank and Oshiro suggested. Consider gaming possibilities: a raid? You’ll need a couple of singles that can be stolen. A cattle drive? You’ll need a way to have small groups break out. Gunfights? You’ll need to remove those killed by stray bullets.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 09:27:46 PM »
Sorry for the quality of the photo but this gives you an idea.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 09:44:16 PM »
Base for sure - even four legged cattle models can tip over during a game (unintentional cow tipping!).

I base mine in groups of three on 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch bases (15 mm figures). 

And you will definitely want some longhorns - I painted up a herd of 96 plus 4 dead.  Have several other smaller herds of use: Hereford and black baldies - and some African cattle and oxen that can expand my longhorn herd up to 150 animals.  Even have some brahmin cattle.

Yes, lots of cattle - but I have a very large game in mind at some point in the less distant future, cattle drives and rustling to be included.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 12:49:32 AM »
I prefer to put mine on larger bases to look like a crowded stampede.   I also have @ few smaller vignette pieces, partly for fun, but also to show direction changes etc…

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 08:25:10 AM »
Love those Digits! They are superb.

As to basing them, I'd go vary the bases with different numbers on each and a couple of stragglers on individual bases.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 01:17:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Bases it is, a mixture of singles and multiples.  Yep, need to get some longhorns!

About posting photos...do I need to achieve a certain post count or what?  I attempted to post a photo but 1st it was too big so I reduced the size, but then it appeared to take but never saw it when I previewed the post.  Does preview show the photos or should I simply post and see if it works?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 01:41:27 PM »
Dubar,

When posting a photo, are you using the icon above, bottom row and furthest to the left 'insert image' (hover over icon to get the name/purpose of icon)?  You also need to have an image address?  A lot of people use photo hosting sites.  I have a google blog and post photos there first before posting here.  If you are just trying to copy and paste a photo, that won't work.

Hope that helps.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 06:35:08 PM »
Dubar,

When posting a photo, are you using the icon above, bottom row and furthest to the left 'insert image' (hover over icon to get the name/purpose of icon)?  You also need to have an image address?  A lot of people use photo hosting sites.  I have a google blog and post photos there first before posting here.  If you are just trying to copy and paste a photo, that won't work.

Hope that helps.

I tried that but I don't have a hosting site.  Most other forums I go to I can select (not copy and paste) an image off my hard drive and insert it very easily.

I even tried the triangle in a green box (sez Attachments and other options) at the bottom but kept getting image was too large or no image was showing.

Not a biggie (it'll keep you guys from having to see my awful paint jobs!!!).

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 07:05:12 PM »
There may be a minimum number of posts, maybe say ten,  before you can post an image ( certainly true of other forums), you’d need to ask a moderator….

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 07:21:52 PM »
Many years ago I put on a demo game at Eastbourne, To the Redoubt show that was based on Johnny Reb raiding a railhead supplying the North. Just to keep things interesting there was also a herd of a couple of dozen Longhorns for the taking. All were singly based and prone to wandering off on their own. Bit of a pain to move that many models singly but it provided much amusement to those attending the show. To the point some were coming back to the game just to see what the cattle were doing. If I was doing it again I think bases of twos, threes and singles would be the way forward IMHO.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »
All were singly based and prone to wandering off on their own.

One set of rules I read mentioned on certain rolls of the dice some cattle would wander off.  Forgot which rule set that was but the Ruthless rules do not account for wandering cattle  lol  guess I'll have to make up my own rules!