Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to prep riders for painting  (Read 625 times)

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
How to prep riders for painting
« on: July 15, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »
Hello folks,

Do any of the experienced painters here have any tips on how you approach painting 28mm riders separate from their horses?

I've seen some people drill holes in them, insert wire and then push the wire into a cork or something which they then hold whilst painting the rider. That's a bit time consuming for me so I was hoping there might be some painters out there who know some good tricks on how to hold their riders comfortably whilst painting them!

Thanks in advance

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: How to prep riders for painting
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:55:10 AM »
For parts such as Space Marine backpacks, or indeed riders, that do not have a clear surface that will end up in contact with the base, I use a dab of blutac/postertack on top of my set of hobby aligator-clips-on-a-stick. Those came with a base with a grid of holes in it, so the rods can be insterd into those for easy handling/drying/storing.

I reckon you can do the same with riders; a bit of blutac under their bottom and on top of a rod, and you'll have plenty of access all around, and do not have to drill holes and pin them.

Although thorough me certainly does this with metal and resin models regardless. Plastics are the only exeption, because polystyrene cement will simply melt the parts together...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 06:23:12 PM »
Thanks, will give something like this a try.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 01:24:35 PM »
I've seen some people drill holes in them, insert wire and then push the wire into a cork or something which they then hold whilst painting the rider.

That's what I do, but also because after the riders are painted I cut most of the wire, letting only a tiny bit and I drill a small hole in the saddle of the horses so they can stay mounted without being glued. This allows them to dismount in skirmish/RPG games if they want to go inside a house or whatever.

If I was not wanting this I would do as suggested below. I use postertack to paint all infantry because I would not be able to handle them otherwise as I don't put them on thick bases but on washers.

For parts such as Space Marine backpacks, or indeed riders, that do not have a clear surface that will end up in contact with the base, I use a dab of blutac/postertack (...) a bit of blutac under their bottom and on top of a rod, and you'll have plenty of access all around