Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wow, New Figs are BIG  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Wow, New Figs are BIG
« on: July 24, 2022, 11:01:58 PM »
I purchased some new Heroclix minis on-line, and was really surprised by their size.

Overall height is now 42mms (38mm - 39mm to eye from sole of foot) or so for some of them, compared to the 34mm (32mms to eye) of the others.

Is there any way to know in advance which Heroclix figures come from which size range(s), eras in advance?

Also, are there any miniatures manufacturers making 40mm - 42mm tall figs for either the modern era, or for Sci-Fi?

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Wow, New Figs are BIG
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 11:50:42 PM »
This is bad news thank you for the heads up...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 10:10:13 AM »
I was looking at the Marvel box game in the window of my FLGS on Saturday and was taken aback by the size of those figures. Even allowing for the poses, there does seem to have been a big jump recently.

You could check out Infinity, as they had their own size jump a while ago. I think they're well into the mid to high 30s now, but even that could be too small.

GW Primaris perhaps? I'm building some Kill Team Orks, and they're 35mm to the shoulder (which is also the top of the head)

Im sure I've seen someone on here talking about 40mm SF, but it's not a trend I'm planning to follow. I have enough 28/32mm stuff to keep me going.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »
There was some discussion on which clix are the bigger ones in a thread I started a little while back.....I am looking for bigger ones to go with 1/48th Weird War stuff.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136591.0

Offline Cusm

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:47:36 PM »
I posted in that thread, but if you look at coolstuffinc they have all the sets listed newest first. The large scale started with the DC Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary. For Marvel sets it was House of X. Here is a list to date

Marvel X-Men X of Swords
Marvel Studios Disney Plus
Avengers War of the Realms
The Eternals Movie
Avengers Fantastic Four Empyre
X-Men Rise and Fall
Fantastic Four Future Foundation
House of X
DC Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 03:11:19 PM »
I'm okay with some of the larger figs, since they are quite nice, but wish they made some of the larger poses in the smaller scales to match my others.

Alas, too now, I only have a limited number of the larger figs, so need to buy more.

Clearly the marketers and manufacturers have an "evil plan" to rival those of even the best Bond villains.......

Offline Cusm

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 02:13:19 PM »
The new scale is about the same as Marvel Crisis Protocol.

I hate when they change scale as a mini collector and someone that enjoys mini-agnostic games, it makes it hard and frustrating.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 02:29:39 PM »
If an auction listing is ever unclear, look for the figure standing on a gray rock. That's a tell-tale sign its the new larger scale.

The only new figures I will be acquiring will be scale neutral characters like Rhino, Sasquatch, She-Hulk, etc.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 11:00:28 PM »
I'm okay with some of the larger figs, since they are quite nice, but wish they made some of the larger poses in the smaller scales to match my others.

Alas, too now, I only have a limited number of the larger figs, so need to buy more.

Clearly the marketers and manufacturers have an "evil plan" to rival those of even the best Bond villains.......

Most of the figs for UFO were smaller, some were big ones (getting that email to you tonight ;)   they both looked good with Studio UFO leads, and some of the figures from 1/48 model kits are bigger anyway
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 01:37:12 PM »
The new scale is about the same as Marvel Crisis Protocol.

I hate when they change scale as a mini collector and someone that enjoys mini-agnostic games, it makes it hard and frustrating.

That's my gripe with them as well. Especially since all the non-big manufacturers who don't aim for some sort of proprietary market stick to 28mm. And I guess that's what I'll do as well. I like the look of many of the Marvel figures, but they just don't fit anything I got, not to mention terrain.

But it also shows pretty well which audience they go for: the new players, who don't necessarily are as well versed and thus are easier to pretend that there was "one stop shops" and so on.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 04:13:46 PM »
I don't know if it helps, but the Kitbash Games' Supers Unlimited range I produce is scaled to sit alongside Reaper Chronoscope supers, Pulp City and other traditionally 28-30mm offerings.

We have over 50 minis in the range and continue to add more.

Kitbash Games store link

Please be aware that our Pulp War 35 range is NOT 28 mm (it is 1/35 scale).

Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/