Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ACW help please.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Re: ACW help please.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 08:03:13 PM »
My figures in the majority are Fenlon Miniatures (now sold under the adventure time label) for my confederate. Sash and Sabre, Old Glory 2nd Ed, Perry and redoubt for the union.

I like the redoubt figures but  I mix and match a bit so I can have variation in units.

I use Jonny reb and Fire and Fury scenarios. My armies are based for JR3 but work for FF regimental and black powder.

Look at the western battles lots of great scenarios there

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:05:07 PM by bluewillow »

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 08:13:35 AM »
I have 2 armies all with Dixon figures. I think they get interely the true spirit of the period and there is a huge variety of choices.

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 06:28:14 PM »
Mine are a mix of Redoubt and Renegade, which marry well - and would marry well with Crusader if any of their figures had a blanket roll. 1st Corps look as though they would fit in too, but I don't have any despite frequent temptation; Steve Barber also look very good and in the same style of sculpting. My current (resumed) 28mm ACW project was interrupted by 25 years of Napoleonics, which allows me to assert that the Redoubt I bought recently from Mr. Grubb are every bit as convincing as the Redoubt I purchased way back in the day. The issue with Redoubt seems to be the horses (judging by comments on this and on other forums): some folk find them cartoonish and underfed. I don't, though grew up on Hinchliffe emaciated ponies and Minifig fat-bottommed nags. I think horses in 25/28mm have always divided opinion. Painted up and based, Redoubt horses are far better than some of those offered in popular Napoleonic ranges where there ought to be a noticeable difference between the mounts of hussars and cuirassiers. Redoubt's separate head suppy is also an enormous boon. Redoubt reins are also solid metal, which some collectors don't like. It doesn't show in my Virginia cavalry regiment as the horses are dark chesnut in colour; but on a pale-sheen horse may pose a 'wargamers's dilemma'.

Dixon are also a complete range you might consider, as others (above) have said. For many years they were the 'go-to' ACW range for wargames magazine covers and when I first saw them I was mighty impressed. They didn't mix well with the figures I already had, however: the 'little shorter' you can live with but the sculpting style was more Minifig than Hinchliffe and Redoubt/Renegade tended to follow the latter.

Best wishes with your new project. I hope you keep LAF updated as I look forward to following your progress.

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2022, 06:32:06 PM »
PS. On focus, I just picked an interesting battle - Chancellorsville, which had always fascinated. I have elements from Sickles' 3rd Corps and McLaw's division (the two brigades present) from Longstreet's Corps. The regiments engaged at Hazel Grove, in other words.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 06:32:43 PM »

Dixon are also a complete range you might consider, as others (above) have said. For many years they were the 'go-to' ACW range for wargames magazine covers and when I first saw them I was mighty impressed. They didn't mix well with the figures I already had, however: the 'little shorter' you can live with but the sculpting style was more Minifig than Hinchliffe and Redoubt/Renegade tended to follow the latter.

Although I have already endorsed Redoubt on this thread, George 1863 is quite right the Dixon range is very complete and have bags of character. The only drawback is that if you go Dixon you have to be prepared to be all Dixon; they don't go with anything else.
I actually have TWO ACW projects running- I have Dixon for my Rebels and Patriots Union Army (almost finished) and Redoubt/Renegade/ Steve Barber for both sides of my  Bonnie Blue Flag reinforced Brigades (not yet started painting).
Dixon paint up so easily.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt