Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689716
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations of good paints for base edges  (Read 701 times)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Recommendations of good paints for base edges
« on: August 20, 2022, 08:03:49 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations of a good paint (specific brands and paint names) for base edges for a project and in return I can share some of my own.

... and, I talk too much:  o_o

About me: I perhaps take base edge color too seriuosly, but I think it's one of the most important things about a a mini and a bad base edge will spoil my ability to appreciate an otherwise fine paintjob even as consciously I struggle against it.  :P

One of my favorite base edge colors is an OOP GW "Foundation" paint called Charadon Granite, which is a wonderful dark gray-brown. I have been able to maintain my pot of this and I pretty much reserve it for base edges for my D&D collection.

For my Mordheim figures I use P3 Battlefield Brown, which is a dark brown but slightly less saturated than the other P3 dark brown, Umbral Umbar. I was quite taken by the gestalt of the presentation of Mordheim in the rulebooks and White Dwarf with so much brown and the brown edges to match. If I find something darker I might switch to that (suggestions welcome).

For general use in a number of collections including my Talisman and historical figures I mixed a 50/50 pot of P3 Battlefield Brown and Guncorps brown. This is OK, but I would rather have something I can buy that is consistent. Generally P3 is my favorite paint range. I also might want a slightly more green cast, not sure. But suggestions on medium brown welcome.

For my nascent Middle Earth project I want a very dark gray-brown and that prompted the post here. But I'm flexible enough to want to consider other military colors including olive drab and "yellow-green" (which looks like neither to me).  Charadon Granite would do, but this collection is so big I would use the pot up before finishing, and I want to save it. There is a craft paint by Americana called Charcoal but I want to stick to a premium paint. I don't have evidence the craft paint doesn't adhere as well but I don't want to chance it. I also want a nice smooth paint that will stay smooth and be ready "out of the pot." Also, I'd be happier with something just a bit different in one direction or another as a change of pace.

In exploring paints, I have been drawn generally to ranges geared to military subjects and the train crowd as they tend to be more neutral and wide-ranging, and sensitive to nuance and special needs, and drawn specifically to AK interactive mainly, but also Revell Aqua Color and enamel Email Color.

But I am also intrigued by the idea of using an enamel paint and doing the base edge first instead of last, and possibly taping the base edge through painting and varnishing so to preserve the original sheen of enamel, which presumably would be tough enough on its own without a protective coat. Would love to hear thoughts and experience on this.

So, I have spent a lot of time looking up paint color names in google images to find examples of things painted with the color. This has not lead to a clear choice but a few contenders have emerged.

AK 11026 Tenebrous Grey (leading contender)
AK 11023 Lead Grey (seems too grey)
AK 11125 Grey Brown (seems too brown and not dark enough)
Revell Email Color 32186 Olive Brown Matte (the only enamel on the list so far)

To sum up, I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions (again, specific brands and paint names)!  :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:21:41 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Recommendations of good paints for base edges
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 08:10:13 PM »
 I tend to use the base colour for the ground work on the base, so brown or sand generally. I also tend to use MDF bases or coins so there is much less base edge visible. I prefer my base edge to blend with the table and the base top, not to stand out.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 08:31:06 PM »
Have a look at Vallejo Model Color (Panzer Series) 70.822 "Black Brown" RLM61. It resembles very much your third photo.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:58:50 PM »
[ :)quote author=Michi link=topic=137923.msg1754512#msg1754512 date=1661023866]
Have a look at Vallejo Model Color (Panzer Series) 70.822 "Black Brown" RLM61. It resembles very much your third photo.
[/quote]

One of my favourite paints,for all sorts of reasons including painting base edges. Good call Michael  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 04:23:56 PM »
Thanks Michi and Blackwolf, I intend to pick up Vallejo 70.822 in my next hobby order. Vallejo is not my favorite brand because I've had more than a few paints go bad after just a few years (where other brands have lasted 10+ or even 30 years), or even be bad from the start. Or I buy the same color again and it's a completely different color and consistency from the old paint. Unreliable. But many are fine, so I'm willing to give select paints a try. I've been liking their Mecha paints.

I tend to use the base colour for the ground work on the base, so brown or sand generally. I also tend to use MDF bases or coins so there is much less base edge visible. I prefer my base edge to blend with the table and the base top, not to stand out.

Our approaches have a lot in common, except I use craft paints for the groundwork itself and a premium paint for the edges. No matter the height of the base my distaste for bad edges is the same. My preference is also for a low-profile base except for collections where I've gone back to slottas or 3mm bases for various reasons.

I'd love more suggestions and to keep the conversation going, so thanks in advance if you can make one!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 04:47:36 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 04:39:52 PM »
Here are a few pics of this Middle Earth type collection I'm working on. I'm dialing in the ground color. The dwarfs were very grey and the trolls more brown. I might level out somewhere in the middle. I tried my regular brown edge and decided I didn't like it, and that's what prompted the search and this thread. I'd like a color that would look good on either set of figures, or against a ground color somewhere in the middle. These are great examples of the kind of bad edges that spoil the effect for me. Whether they are going to be black or the ground color or whatever, they need to be tidied up and finished.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:19:12 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 09:50:23 PM »
They look fab :-*

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 06:18:47 PM »
Thanks!  :) When I have the project a bit more together I plan to start a thread.