Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686666
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kwangtung Army Security Detachment, South Manchuria Railway Zone, 192X  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
Re: Kwangtung Army Security Detachment, South Manchuria Railway Zone, 192X
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 10:12:25 AM »
Utterly Splendid!!!
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
Thats an excellent force.  8)

More temptation to do some Japanese troops for Manchuria. Maybe one day...  ::)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
No converting aside from the cavalry carrying flag, just collecting from a wide source.

The bulk of the infantry and cavalry is indeed copplestone castings as is the mortar. The SMG toting NCOs are from pulpfigures, the Type 3 MMG is from empress miniatures, and both officers are from Bolt Action, the whippet from 1st corps and the truck from eBay. A matchbox "of yesteryear".

I've been looking for 20s and early 30s appropriate Kwangtung for a long time. I'm working on a big ole Back of Manchuria project and part of it is to cover and game the invasion of Manchuria and subsequent pasifation of Manchukuo/operations in inner Mongolia. Japanese infantry that looked the part had always been a problem though, untill one night I was having a beer when the idea hit me. I had a mess of fur hat warlord troops I'd not done anything with, and I'd seen a bunch of fur hat wearing Kwangtung Army troops in photos so I decided to paint up a test mini. Needless to say I found it fit the requirements quite nicely

Dead simple after all.

These are the first major baddie in my project. I have some IJNLF to do, but after I finish some warlord troops.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with those!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 09:42:54 AM »
The Kwantung Army's a good choice modelling wise, as they used some interesting equipment. Captured Soviet gear from Nomonhan, locally produced copies of Japanese equipment, and yes, generally hand me downs. I've been wanting to make a Kwantung Austin Armoured car, though haven't found the right model to work from (their ones were originally captured White Russian vehicles I believe, which then had their armoured bodies stripped and placed on Japanese truck chassis).

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 12:38:57 PM »
That's a lovely force with bags of character.  Very nice work.

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 03:43:10 PM »
The Kwantung Army's a good choice modelling wise, as they used some interesting equipment. Captured Soviet gear from Nomonhan, locally produced copies of Japanese equipment, and yes, generally hand me downs. I've been wanting to make a Kwantung Austin Armoured car, though haven't found the right model to work from (their ones were originally captured White Russian vehicles I believe, which then had their armoured bodies stripped and placed on Japanese truck chassis).

I didn't know that the Kwangtung Army had an Austin Armored Car...

...I have an Austin Armored Car, it's a 3D print my buddy made me. I've been wondering what to do with it. Looks like my Manchurian Storm Troopers are going to get some armored reinforcements. I'm already working on another cavalry squad...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 12:56:34 PM »
The things you find on the internet. :)

https://austinarmcar.livejournal.com/1467.html

IIRC the Austin Armoured Cars which the Kwantung Army receives were all modified by the Japanese, so wouldn't be in their original configuration. They took the original armoured bodies (both of the British and Russian types I believe - though I don't know where they got the Russian vehicles from) and attached them to Japanese chassis. One also had its original turrets replaced by those from a Type 94 tank (the article incorrectly says they're from a Type 97).

So get your plasticard out. ;)

(Though China also operated Austins - again British and Russian types, so you could also do one up as a captured vehicle)

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »
The things you find on the internet. :)

https://austinarmcar.livejournal.com/1467.html

IIRC the Austin Armoured Cars which the Kwantung Army receives were all modified by the Japanese, so wouldn't be in their original configuration. They took the original armoured bodies (both of the British and Russian types I believe - though I don't know where they got the Russian vehicles from) and attached them to Japanese chassis. One also had its original turrets replaced by those from a Type 94 tank (the article incorrectly says they're from a Type 97).

So get your plasticard out. ;)

(Though China also operated Austins - again British and Russian types, so you could also do one up as a captured vehicle)

That's incredible! I love to see this kinda stuff.

Unfortunately my 3d printer Austin is ... 1/48 and the rest of my armor is 1/56.. but fortunately I decided to buy a scale appropriate Austin from empress miniatures (and a Garford.. and a T1E1.. what sort of things do I have in the works..) only because the pound is so close to the US dollar at the moment.

When it arrives I don't think I'll modify it, I think I'll keep it bog standard but those modifications Japan hoised upon them in the 30s to keep them relevant is pretty great. I figure if I keep mine standard I can use it for skirmishes from the 1918 intervention in the Russian Civil War, all the way through the pacification of Manchukuo in the early 30s.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2022, 06:49:08 PM »
Brilliant idea ,usng the Chinese for Japanese.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2022, 07:56:38 AM »
Superb!

Good to see 'Tiger' Tanaka on the table
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 08:27:59 AM »
Great army and nice write-up!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman