Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:35:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Daftu in 15 mm?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
The Daftu in 15 mm?
« on: September 02, 2022, 06:20:03 AM »
So, Digits hasn't done anything with creating a tribe of Daftu for his Daftest Africa despite my suggestion.  (oh, the nerve!   lol)

As a result, I am thinking to incorporate them into my own African adventures, especially since I found some super cool urchin shells that I am going to use for the tops of some 15 mm huts and a Daftu tribe would fit really nicely into those huts.

The big question is which 15 mm tribal figures would best suit a tribe of the Daftu?   See Digits thread for Daftest Africa for some inspiration.  I will be reviewing both the Bluemoon tribes and Irregular miniatures but I'm hoping to find something a little different so will be searching further afield and just hoping someone knows of something new that I am not familiar with yet - in 15 mm.  And thanks!

Now, Digits, in case you are in need of a little oxygen on this matter, just think of it as the 'sincerest form of flattery'.   ;) :D

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: The Daftu in 15 mm?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »
Daftu?  Not sure what you mean.  Are they anything like Baluchi?

Dan

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 06:00:00 PM »
Digit has his "Daftest" Africa, Africa has its Bantu peoples, I - with my delightfully twisted mind - amalgamated Daftu out of that. 

Think in terms of almost fierce warriors with a bit of an odd dressing style and a more than extra helping of sense of humor and you will be moving down the right path.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:57:26 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 06:34:58 PM »
Been hunting about and think Black Hat Miniatures (now through Fighting 15s) Martian Askari - with some modified hairdos - might fit the bill.  Probably get the ones with guns plus the command set and the characters pack.  Some modification to the servant in the characters pack might get me where I am trying to go for some added Lark Side hilarity; to that end probably order three of the character packs - means I get three of the princess figures and I can put her to good use, again with some minor modifications.

Edit: after a bit of thought and a modest amount of time passing, I have pulled the trigger and ordered the Askari and a few other bits and all will be transmogrified into my version of the Daftu, for Lark Side fun and a bit of a homage to Digits and his extraordinary creativity. 

Of course, Digits may yet create his own version of the Daftu - if he is so inclined.  If he does, I expect we shall all be impressed and find ourselves with a smile on our faces!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:56:13 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 03:55:16 AM »
Maybe the Daftu wear otherwise normal outfits, but with one thing done way out of proportion:

Dan
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:03:32 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 12:53:36 PM »
CC - fun photos but I don't think I'm going to go that far over the top.  But it does give me an idea to try and create headgear that matches to those urchin hut tops - though I am highly doubtful my skills for doing so extend that far.

More likely, the 'servant' is likely to get an outsized skull sitting on his serving platter, heck maybe even something along the lines of the Indiana Jones crystal skull if can find something the right size.  Think in terms of a minor bit of "Alas, pour Yorick, I knew him well."

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 12:33:34 PM »
Dan,

Yes, skulls like that but nowhere near that big!  A 6" tall skull would crush the mini trying to hold it.  :o

If wife and I make it to the next Gem and Bead show due in town in October, I will see if I can find something - and at a more affordable price.  If you've never been to such an event, check if you have one within driving distance of your location and then start hunting, all sorts of cool things can (sometimes - not always) be found at close to wholesale prices.  We are regulars with my wife's hobby of making semi-precious gems bead jewelry so always get a coupon for entry, free on Fridays usually and discounts on Saturday and Sunday.  With your extra-super-hyper-overdrive-imagination, I think you'd have a blast - or your head would start to spin until going so fast it flew right off of your neck and got stuck up on the ceiling!  That would be a mess.   :(

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 08:16:40 PM »
If I could get my hands on this “clear” thermoplastic material, and if my arthritic hands cooperate, I might be able to make a few “crystal” skulls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hyn211xyg

Dan
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 08:20:12 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 03:51:17 AM »
Dan,

If that is an offer, thank you, but I think I can find small skulls for a pretty cheap price.  If not at a bead store, then - with a little luck - in a discount store (too many around these days, things like Good Will).  And with Halloween around the corner, the odds are good.

However, if you find the substance and make some for yourself, let us have a look at them.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 04:38:38 AM »
Will do!

Dan