Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Preferred Fantasy Army Composition?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Preferred Fantasy Army Composition?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2022, 03:07:00 PM »
A mix of A & B. Setting is obviously key - and I think if the story justifies it then anything goes.

That said, I don't see any way in which undead creatures aren't abhorrent to any right-minded person within a fantasy world. Even if the necromancer is using his minions to dish out candy and flowers to the locals, he's still desecrating corpses!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
To echo other comments, it depends what story were telling with the game. So, for a Warhammer game or other franchise, I'm playing in someone else's sandbox. There's a pre-existing world and my army composition is likely to reflect that (although I do think allied contingents add a bit of spice). But I'm more than happy with option C in my own games as long as it's justified by the scenario/campaign background.

In defence of Oathmark: you can see from the monsters in the game that JMcC has leaned heavily into Northern European myth and folklore for his setting. In those same tales elves and dwarves are a pretty nasty bunch. Even the heroes are at best morally ambiguous, and sometimes downright psychotic (see Wayland's revenge on King Nidud for example). For gaming in that sort of setting a tyrannical elf lord bringing goblin slaves in his army to attack some double-crossing dwarves, who in turn are happy to dabble in a bit of necromancy in self defence, makes perfect sense and also a refreshing change from the usual goodies and baddies stuff.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2022, 08:21:41 PM »
Even if the necromancer is using his minions to dish out candy and flowers to the locals, he's still desecrating corpses!

Well, here's what I was thinking of - Vampire with his human (and undead) minions, same for Tomb Kings (these guys may also be the 'legitimate' rulers of their provinces/kingdoms after all!) and even with just plain old eebly Necromancers, they might well have cultist followers or similarly inclined eebly types. I'm a fan of 'Neutral until proven otherwise' as an alignment.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2022, 09:08:46 PM »
Ghouls, on the other hand...

EDIT: Good point, though. I was having a narrow vision of undead. Some may be willing undead beings who have risen from their slumber!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:10:54 PM by Gibby »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2022, 09:45:50 PM »
Essentially mine is the Flamengo ‘81/82 line up (Zico, Adilio, Andrade, Junior etc, etc) up but with Socrates and Maradona on the bench.

It’s pure fantasy because Diego wouldn’t have made it on to the Flamengo bench. Finest football squad ever and the core of the best Brazilian national side not to win a World Cup. The treble inside a fortnight and they whipped Liverpool 3-0 in the Intercontinental Cup.

There is but one God, we rejoice in his name and that name is Zico.

:)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo