Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hungarian Revolutionary War of 1848- a 28mm project  (Read 11521 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Hungarian Revolutionary War of 1848- a 28mm project
« on: September 05, 2022, 11:33:34 PM »
So I decided to start this thread for my project of the Hungarian Revolutionary War of 1848.

Wtf is that-you might ask, so better start with a little historical summary: in the 1010s the first king of Hungary, István I., created an administration based on counties (this system is still in use novadays), and in 1222 the [X+1]th king of Hungary, András II. granted the right for the Hungarian nobilities to form a parliament. The county-based noble parliament was then the backbone of Hungarian government for 650 years (only replaced by the modern democracy), whoever ruled the country, could not govern without the Parliament (sometimes called Diet, its contemporary Latin name).

The Habsburgs, seizing the Hungarian crown in the early 1500s, soon realized this, they never could really merge Hungary into their Empire, always needed to compromise with the Parliament (ok, sometimes threat them) whose goal was national self-government ofc. Their plan with Hungary was to keep it a reliable and quiet background producing wheat and soldiers for their wars in the West, which worked during the 18th century and the Napoleonic Wars, but in the 19th the Parliament grew more ambitious, fighting for various reforms. In early 1848 the most ambitious reform package so far was sent to the Emperor, who was reluctant first. Then the Revolutionary Spring of 1848 swept through Europe, including a (bloodless) one in Buda on March the 15th, this broke the stalemate and the Emperor finally accepted these so called April Laws.

Everyone was happy, but not for long since Wien only accepted the April Laws to stall the Hungarians until the Habsburgs crush their revolutions and stabilize their status in Italy. To keep the Parliament occupied, they decided to feed the Hungarians their own medicine, and agitated the minorities in Hungary against them.

Romanians (into Transylvania) and Serbians (into the South) started to migrate to Hungary in greater numbers during 18th century, while Croatians were always there, Hungary capturing Croatia in the late 11th century. On the top of that Serbians and Croatians served the Habsburgs as border guards on the southern border, so they had weapons and considerable military experience. The newly (according the April Laws) formed Hungarian militia, the National Guard was already knee-deep in a war before the real enemy even revealed himself.

Not that they had to wait too long for that. As the situation in Italy became better, the Habsburgs turned towards Hungary. The Hungarian government got an ultimatum: cancel the April Laws, or being forced to cancel the April Laws by the Habsburg Army. Looking at the title of this topic, you can guess the answer, so the Emperor sent Lieutenant-General Jellasich to crush the "rebellion". This, of course, pushed everyone in Hungary into the revolutionary camp, so they started to organize a standing army, the so called Honvédség (hard to translate, Homeland Defense Force or something like that). The 35-40k strong Austrian army met the 27k strong Hungarian army in the battle of Pákozd on Sept 29th, and Jellasich suffered a defeat, with heavy losses, retreating towards Wien.

The pursuing Hungarian army was only stopped near Wien, at Schwechat. During the late autumn and the winter the war went back and forth, an Austrian counter-attack captured Western Hungary, while Hungarians completely liberated Transylvania. Both armies grew, the Austrians soon had 165k fighting men in the country, facing the 150k strong Hungarian army. In the spring of 1849 the Hungarian Army got a new commander, just like Lincoln found Grant, the Hungarian president Kossuth found Artúr Görgei, a young and ambitious commander-in-chief. The Glorious Spring Campaign liberated most of Hungary, and the Habsburgs were officially dethroned. That is when the disaster struck: Player 3 entered the game.

The new Emperor, Franz Joseph (who took the crown after the resignation of Ferdinand V. in Dec 2nd), saw his armies unable to defeat the Hungarians and on May 1st he turned to the Russian Tzar Nicholas I for help. The Russians saw the Hungarian situation with increasing worries, fearing the flame of the rebellion spreading to Poland. They agreed to help, and during the summer of 1849 a 200k men strong Russian army attacked Hungary from the rear. Unable to withstand the wrath of two empires, the armies of Görgei were pushed back, and, after failing to prevent the Austrian and the Russian Army to join forces, the Hungarians capitulated at Világos on Aug 13rd (the last fortress, Komárom, held until October, General Klapka only capitulated after a pardon was granted for him and his men)

The furious Austrians took heavy sanctions on Hungary, and the Hungarian nobles went into a passive resistance. Franz Joseph fought his wars without the Hungarian support. It did not went very well, after the catastrophical defeats in his Italian and Prussian wars he finally realized that peace is the way. In 1867 he agreed with the Hungarians, lifting all the sanctions (up to the re-forming of the Honvédség), pardoning every rebel, and, in return, being accepted as the rightful king. The Habsburg Empire was no more, the dualist state of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy was officially formed, granting a golden age for both nations.

This is the brief summary of it, the not so brief could fill libraries- and it actually does, but only in Hungarian language, this war is being a really popular topic here, every town having its own story, national holidays to remember it, everything from streets to cigarette brands named after the popular heroes, etc. Time to also have some wargaming of it.

This war was the last of the Napoleonic era, being fought just a few months before the Minié bullet changed the warfare. Also this was the first major conflict where both sides used trains and steam ships for transporting troops and supplies. (Even featured a train hijack). The scale is from the very little skirmishes to the big battles of 80-100k soldiers fighting, so it has all from lore-wise.

I chose the system of Black Powder for the project, but it can be played with any matching system, be it big army or skirmish. The base unit back then was the battalion, featuring 600 men on paper. I will represent these with 10 men battalions- this way I can paint and field a lots of units with their distinctive uniform variations. I base them individually on the 20*20mm WHF-standard bases, which I put into movement trays. The trays are laser-cut, one of my friend does them.

Lets start with the Hungarians. The problem with them is that they almost have zero figures available in this size, so you have to be creative.

The infantry. There were line regiments, the National Guard and the Honvédség, first I concentrated on the latter one, being the most iconic. I started with the weapons, I made them from plastic and green stuff. The standard weapon of both the Hungarian and the Austrian army was the Augustin rifle, a percussion musket. After the hostilities started, Hungarians also started to produce it, being able to properly equip the army.

The soldiers I sculpted from green stuff, then they went into resin casting.

The drums and the flags were conversions. I used WHF bitz :)

The flags I painted by hand. Next time I will use paper ones :P

The first batch of soldiers were made with the rifle pointing forward. Later I sculpted a soldier with a shouldered rifle to form the back lines.

The standard uniform was blue trousers, brown jacket with red emroidery and a black shako. In addition, there was a blue field cap. Two battalions (9th Kassa and 11th Kolozsvár) got their field caps in red colour, and they were allowed to wear them on the battlefield as honours for their bravery. Five battalions wear standard  uniform, the one in the front is wearing this red cap.

According to Black Powder rules, the army also has separate commander and sub-commanders, I chose to field the units in regiments of 3 battalions, just like they were in reality. For my 60 men I needed two Colonels. These are also my sculpts, casted and converted. The Hungarian official cadre was quite of a high quality, featuring mostly officers experienced in the Habsburg army. Their clothing was varied, they rarely wore the standard uniform. These two guys do, more or less. For the sake of convenience, I use infantry commanders for infantry units despite officers usually commanded from horseback.

The commander. He is a real person, General Damjanich. A Serbian man, who became Hungarian and became one of the best generals of the 1848 army. Winner of many battles, he died as part of the Arad 13, the 13 generals executed for treason in Arad on 1849 Oct 6th. I used a WHF horse and made the general out of green stuff. His sword is from the WHF Empire Militia, he had a distinctive, broad-bladed sabre.

The artillery. For these I used Napoleonic Austrian cannons from Front Rank, and sculpted the crew myself. They also can be detached from the base. Hungarian artillery was of high quality, the April Laws placed every army unit in Hungary under Hungarian command, the most prized of these were the 5th artillery regiment stationed here. The foreign crew eventually defected to the Imperials, but not before they trained the Hungarian artillery crews, and ofc they left their cannons too. The backbone of Hungarian artillery was the 6 pounder, also produced locally: Hungarian produced guns were painted light gray, while the ones originating from the 5th regiment were raw wood colour. Painting the side of the cannon for national tricolor was Hungarian custom. Hungarian batteries were organized with 8 guns instead of the austrian standard 6, the Austrians later adopted the 8.

6 pounders:

6 pounder horse cannon:

3 pounder:

12 pounder:

This is the Hungarian Army so far. The most urgent upgrade will be the cavalry, hussars to be more exact. Hussars in the Habsburg army were recruited from Hungary and they basically were the Hungarian cavalry itself in every war since the late 1500s.
Then I will concentrate on the National Militia. They were recruited based on the counties, and in the first weeks their uniform was all but standard. Some were overly decorated, some wore civilian clothes. Civilian clothing back then was colourful and varied, it will be an interesting sculpting and panting project. This guy is basically wearing civilian clothes and a straigthened scythe, but he can be built with any head and I sculpted a musket for him too.

This other is smoking a pipe while loading his gun, over the (eventually more-or less) standardized National Guard uniform he is wearing a civilian greatcoat (called "szűr")

Then the sky is the limit: the line regiments, the foreign legions, the jaegers, the missile artillery, the free corps, etc, etc

The Austrians. The backbone of the Austrian army were the line regiments, here I simply used the Warlord late Napoleonic Austrians- they can be used without any problem, the distinctive short shako from Franz Josephs early wars was introduced a few years after the 1848 war. And hey, I also have a Napoleonic army this way. The only problem is that I painted them before I decided for the 10 man battalions, so now the 19th regiment has 5 battalions. Whatever.

Now here is great potential for development. They will need some cannons first (the same types as for the hungarians), and then some cavalry: the heavy Kürassiers were the elite of the Habsburg army and lets say they earned their reputation in 1848-49 too. I will also add some Grenzers too.

And the Player3. It was actually very rare that the Russian and the Austrian army fought on the same field, but I will play like this for a while. Russians are basically the Crimean Russians, Napoleonic uniforms do not cut here any more. I simply bought the Crimean bundle from Warlord, 3 boxes of infantry and two 24 pounder cannons. Now I am painting them.

Some officers already done:

They also needed a leader. I sculpted this general, a little easter egg basically being a typical Soviet marshal in the mid-19th century uniform.

Russians, well, first need to be finished. Then I will have to look for some Cossack figures...

A rarely mentioned battle: the Battle of Garden of Morr. My favourite terrain piece ever, sorry.

To be continued...

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Hungarian Revolutionary War of 1848- a 28mm project
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 12:48:00 AM »
Lovely to read of your project. It is on my list of things to do too.

Your figures are excellent, looking very similar to those in The Honved Army. Id love to see more, especially cavalry when you make them.

Have you seen Steve Barber Miniatures Hungarian range in 28mm and the other Hungarian Revolutionary threads on this forum?

Looking forward to your next post!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:22:53 AM by Emir of Askaristan »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 02:38:11 AM »
Now that is some awesome work with green stuff!  o_o

:-*

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 08:12:23 AM »
Beautiful work, Freddy! And thanks also for the nice historical summary. Some of us Brits are very interested in your '48. I was fighting at Pakozd again last night.

There is a bit more info available on it in English now
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/hungary-1848-the-winter-campaign.php
or about to be
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/hungary-1849-the-summer-campaign.php
and I just got the advance copies of the Hungary 1848 scenario book we are publishing for the "Bloody Big Battles!" rules (BBB). The scenario book will be published this month. I also have a Hungarian-language quick reference sheet for BBB in the group files (not that you'd need that, evidently).
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 08:51:55 AM »
Fantastic work Freddy on the Hungarians.  I love your Russians as well. Geoff Coe who started this esoteric period many years ago has died, however, a few of us got on board before Geoff's passing to commission a number of Hungarian Revolution miniatures sculpted by Steve Barber Models to fill out the range. Steve has the majority on his website now, but not all. There were additional miniatures to be sculpted by Steve, but he lost interest. I'm quite proud of my contribution to the range.

I've added the webpage to Steve Barber Models below.

Cheers,
Helen (aka Grey Heron)

https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/store/-c36555063

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
Lovely work.

I when down the conversion of Perry miniatures for my 1848 armies. I am working on the artillery at the moment.

HunLion
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 12:34:56 PM by Hunlion »

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »
Thank you for the kind words and the links! I am just like almost anyone in this hobby, a guy with too many projects and too little free time, so this project wont be a quick one, but I try to organize my projects the way to ensure steady progress for all of them.

Have you seen Steve Barber Miniatures Hungarian range in 28mm
Yes, I know the models of Steve Barber, my two problems are 1.) I discovered them long after this project was started. His most complete range is the Honvéd infantry, the same what I did first. 2.) His sculpting style is different from mine. This is not a problem on army level, but most of his range being not complete, I would have to mix the figures on unit level too. Anyways, I plan to order some of his figures, especially the National Guard models.

and the other Hungarian Revolutionary threads on this forum?
Before deciding to start a thread, I was lurking here a little bit, but there are so many projects I did not find them, only discovered them after this thread was started and the forum engine threw up the similar threads down there.

Geoff Coe who started this esoteric period many years ago has died, however, a few of us got on board before Geoff's passing to commission a number of Hungarian Revolution miniatures sculpted by Steve Barber Models to fill out the range. Steve has the majority on his website now, but not all. There were additional miniatures to be sculpted by Steve, but he lost interest. I'm quite proud of my contribution to the range.
Sorry to hear about losing him, it is always nice to talk with like minded individuals from other countries!

I am working on the artillery at the moment
Wow, an impressive artillery section, with that amount of cannons the Honvédség would be able to win not just the Pákozd, but also the Verdun Battle too :)

Now that is some awesome work with green stuff!
Thank you! For the older models I used green stuff and milliput, recently I switched to FIMO for the whole man- type of figures. It is an oven-hardening sculpting material, suits better my lifestyle of having one TV show episode long time slots for modelling. With gs and milliput I was too stressed because of the hardening time, the FIMO I can put down when the time is over and can pick up 1-2 days later to continue.

Id love to see more, especially cavalry when you make them.
For the cavalry I got some Napoleonic Austrian hussars, they will be ok for the first batch, later I will sculpt my own. I started a sub-project for horses, the will serve my medieval Hungarian and even my W40k army too. First I sculpt a naked horse, then it will be casted, then I will add the gear suitable for the given period. Here is one with hussar gear. The initial sculpt:

Cast:

One assembled naked :)

And the masters with hussar gear:

For the book, yes, I really like the works of Győző Somogyi. He has a series of books of Hungarian military history from the nomad times to the Warsaw Pact now released in English too (some 15 books in total), I use these books for my medieval Hungarian projects too. His collection of 1848 drawings appeared in more editions of similar books during the years, my favourite being Zoltán Barczy-Győző Somogyi: A szabadságharc hadserege. It is an 1986 book, so the newer drawings are not in, but it comes with a rich textual material.
If you look closely, the two National Guard sculpts come directly from Somogyi- illustrations :)

and I just got the advance copies of the Hungary 1848 scenario book we are publishing for the "Bloody Big Battles!" rules (BBB). The scenario book will be published this month. I also have a Hungarian-language quick reference sheet for BBB in the group files (not that you'd need that, evidently).
Oh yes, Napoleonic era has many rulesets, and I try to keep my collections flexible enough to fit all of them, Black Powder was simply the starting point. If BBB has a dedicated 1848 supplement, then count me in :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:35:12 PM by Freddy »

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 06:48:37 PM »
Excellent response !

Keep those figures coming  :D

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 07:24:13 AM »
Incredibly impressive project - will be fascinating to see it develop.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
Thanks Freddy! Here is some of my work, albeit quite small at the moment.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=124614.0

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 09:34:29 PM »
Excellent response !
Keep those figures coming
Incredibly impressive project - will be fascinating to see it develop.
Thank you! We will see the speed of the development, what you see here is the product of several years, and soon I will post some of my other projects too so that I will have an excuse for the slow progress in each of them :)
Thanks Freddy! Here is some of my work, albeit quite small at the moment.
Thanks for the link, I did not even have it in the Similar projects section. Your figures look very good, you managed to capture the vibrant, bright nature of these uniforms better than me, my painting style is a bit on the darker side. (I also have a 40k Imperial Guard army, might come from there.)

I also dug up some more WIP pics. Here you can see one of the first soldiers, he was not even a full cast, I only had the body, the head and the gun back then, the rest was sculpted.

The first batch of models had separate arms. I am aiming for modular figures so that I can convert them. Some of these even found their way to my 40k project. I also use resin as the material, I understand the fans of lead, metal is classic and traditional, but as a modeller I am a guy with more of a target-oriented mindset.

A later batch, as you can see nothing is perfect, I had to adjust the neck pieces manually.

An illustration of what I wrote above from converting. the master of the shouldered gun honvéd is a pretty easy conversion from the advancing one.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 09:42:31 PM »
Thanks Freddy. Love your style of sculpting and modelling. You have captured the feel of the Honved soldier very well.

Cheers!
Helen

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 11:50:34 PM »
Those figures are full of character
I really like them.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 09:27:21 PM »
Love your style of sculpting and modelling. You have captured the feel of the Honved soldier very well.
Those figures are full of character
I really like them.
Thank you!

Meanwhile I continued painting, the two Russian 24 pounders are done.

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 12:11:10 AM »
Such good animation.