Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690514
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tactica Hamburg 2022, who is going?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Tactica Hamburg 2022, who is going?
« on: September 15, 2022, 11:39:01 AM »
Are any LAF members going to Tactica in a couple of weeks?

I'm coming over for the first time ever. I'm travelling over with Dan (editor of wargames Illustrated) and mr & mr Perry. So I'll probably be lingering around the Wargames Illustrated stand when not wandering around. Be great to say hello to everyone.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Tactica Hamburg 2022, who is going?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 12:19:27 PM »
I would love to meet you folks but sadly Mrs. GG and I will be out of the country on holiday. We will be back in time for Spiel in Essen the following weekend though. Are you attending that as well?
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 12:39:46 PM »
Are any LAF members going to Tactica in a couple of weeks?

I'm coming over for the first time ever. I'm travelling over with Dan (editor of wargames Illustrated) and mr & mr Perry. So I'll probably be lingering around the Wargames Illustrated stand when not wandering around. Be great to say hello to everyone.

Went a few years ago and had a fantastic time, they are a great bunch of people. Make sure you visit  Miniatur Wunderland. its a must see!

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 01:41:37 PM »
Normally I would attend but I have to work on the weekend. It is a great show. Enjoy it!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 04:35:44 PM »
I would love to meet you folks but sadly Mrs. GG and I will be out of the country on holiday. We will be back in time for Spiel in Essen the following weekend though. Are you attending that as well?

No. It's an odd show for miniature wargames. I've not been for a long time, but back then figures were shoved in a back hall which was shared by LARPers and comic books. & they outnumbered us. Prefer more dedicated wargames shows.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 05:45:27 AM »
Went a few years ago and had a fantastic time, they are a great bunch of people. Make sure you visit  Miniatur Wunderland. its a must see!

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Miniatur Wunderland is indeed a must see location, I also highly recommend it.

Nick, I have been to Spiel a couple of times but admittedly never to Tactica. While tabletop wargaming is not the sole focus of they no longer push tabletop wargaming and miniatures into a back hall with larp and comic books. That said, last year Spiel was much smaller than than previous years thanks to Brexit and Covid. I do not anticipate it being much bigger this year but it is still pretty big.

I hope folks enjoy Tactica, I wish I could go this year!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 08:41:08 AM »
With the apparent demise of Crisis, Tactica might be a good alternative for us continentals starved for conventions.

However; it's not 'in my system' just yet and quite a longer drive than Antwerp, requiring at least one hotel night and I have not planned for that. But I'll be sure to keep it in mind for next year!

Have fun though  :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »
@Daeothar you can also sleep at my place in Groningen if that's convenient 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 11:34:13 AM »
Many thanks M, that's really generous and hospitable!  8)

However; the issue here is more that I will be off on a family vacation the weekend prior already (in the north of Overijssel no less  ;) ), and getting even more days off work will also be a challenge on such short notice.

But I am seriously considering going next year...  :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 12:03:34 PM »
Offer then also stands!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »
Just can't resist, re: Miniatur Wonderland.

On behalf of my late father, he is the man who came up with the idea for taking model airplanes out of their static mode (not talking RC stuff here but indoor modeling) and into flying mode.  He developed a system that essentially took model railroad track and inverted it onto the ceiling so that you could take off and land planes and fly them around the room (over-simplified but gives the idea).  He all but had a contract with a company in Germany to bring the whole concept to market - but backed down because of the share they were going to give to him (biggest mistake of his life by orders of magnitude!).  Just a few years later the whole Star Wars phenomenon hit and I think that diverted manufacturing attention but had it been in place I'd bet that would have exploded the concept.  At least until computer gaming really disrupted with flight simulators.   

No idea if that is the concept they used but I am certain beyond all doubt he originated the idea - way back into the early to mid-sixties.

As to Tactica, a bit far from California!  But have fun.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 06:31:08 AM »
Just can't resist, re: Miniatur Wonderland.

On behalf of my late father, he is the man who came up with the idea for taking model airplanes out of their static mode (not talking RC stuff here but indoor modeling) and into flying mode.  He developed a system that essentially took model railroad track and inverted it onto the ceiling so that you could take off and land planes and fly them around the room (over-simplified but gives the idea).  He all but had a contract with a company in Germany to bring the whole concept to market - but backed down because of the share they were going to give to him (biggest mistake of his life by orders of magnitude!).  Just a few years later the whole Star Wars phenomenon hit and I think that diverted manufacturing attention but had it been in place I'd bet that would have exploded the concept.  At least until computer gaming really disrupted with flight simulators.   

No idea if that is the concept they used but I am certain beyond all doubt he originated the idea - way back into the early to mid-sixties.

As to Tactica, a bit far from California!  But have fun.
There is an interesting tour at the Miniaturwunderland to see it. It is a „Behind the scene“-tour. They show you a lot of the technics they use, e.g. the airport. It is a simple idea, but it works well. So maybe a tour through the north of germany und south Denmark is a good possibility for you. The Perries made a trip to Denmark to see the fields of Prussian-Denish war (1864?), there is a Tank museum not far from Hamburg, the collection of 1200 Ships (huge!) called Maritimes Museum, Haitabu (Vikings museum), and much more. You can all do this around Tactica.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
He developed a system that essentially took model railroad track and inverted it onto the ceiling so that you could take off and land planes and fly them around the room (over-simplified but gives the idea). 

A little off-topic here, but the system is a moving sled under the runway - very much like the (failed) atmospheric railways of yesteryear - that moves the planes (actually there are spacecraft for the occasional laughter as well). Two rods in that sled are pushing the planes up from the ground. Therefore it's a little different from your father's invention, but to the very same effect.