Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686549
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A&A Miniatures- Crusader Miniatures *Macedonia* Size Comparison  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
A&A Miniatures- Crusader Miniatures *Macedonia* Size Comparison
« on: October 03, 2022, 08:47:49 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has any photo's of a size comparison between the A&A Miniatures and Crusader Miniatures (sold by North Star) Macedonian ranges please?

I realise that both ranges were sculpted by Mark Simms but they are years apart. Just wondering they would fit together nicely?

Any help appreciated :)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A&A Miniatures- Crusader Miniatures *Macedonia* Size Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 11:13:50 PM »
I have been buying bits of both ranges recently, what are you especially interested in?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 04:20:08 AM »
Hi, currently away on holiday so can't check. From memory the A&A figures are quite big, the Crusader a bit smaller. Would probably mix well in the same army but not possibly together in a unit. I have bought A&A and Crusader Samnites and they are OK together.

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 07:47:09 AM »
http://pippoweb.blogspot.com/2021/03/magister-militum.html

In this project there some A&A mostly "sagittarii" on foot, but some in other groups. I think they all mix well, at least the infantry.

I got also some cavalry but I changed all the horses and used the calvarymen here: http://pippoweb.blogspot.com/2021/08/al-andalus-cavalry-23.html also the camels are A&A.

I realize now that I did not take a picture of Saldin's command group  :D
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 08:45:01 AM »
I have been buying bits of both ranges recently, what are you especially interested in?

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has any photo's of a size comparison between the A&A Miniatures and Crusader Miniatures (sold by North Star) Macedonian ranges please?

The Macedonian ranges from both A&A and Crusader Miniatures and their relative size please ;)  :)

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 09:44:21 PM »
They are best compared to the Foundry WOG range.  Both the A&A and the Crusader are more or less the same height as the WOG.  The A&A are bulkier (and in general not as nice sculpts), the crusader are slighter (and are closer in quality) than the WOG.   They can all be used in the same army, but for the foot not in the same units (other than mixing in a few command figures etc).  For the cavalry as long as you use one manufacturers horse, it wouldn't feel out of place mixing the cavalry figures together in the same unit, although you will need to watch arm positions as their posing is not always consistent.  Personally, if I was buying them all now, I would use Foundry or Aventine.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 04:16:59 AM »
By the way don't forget Gripping Beast's "Polemarch Range" sculpted by Steve Saleh. Expensive but contain some unique items like scythes chariots. My Successor army is 90% Aventine with GB scythes chariots and some Foundry skirmishers. I guess A&A are a good buy if you can get one of his deals covering infantry. I did this for a mate earlier this year.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 07:14:31 AM »
They are best compared to the Foundry WOG range.  Both the A&A and the Crusader are more or less the same height as the WOG.  The A&A are bulkier (and in general not as nice sculpts), the crusader are slighter (and are closer in quality) than the WOG.   They can all be used in the same army, but for the foot not in the same units (other than mixing in a few command figures etc).  For the cavalry as long as you use one manufacturers horse, it wouldn't feel out of place mixing the cavalry figures together in the same unit, although you will need to watch arm positions as their posing is not always consistent.  Personally, if I was buying them all now, I would use Foundry or Aventine.

I thought most of the Aventine Phalangites to be of  a slightly later period than that of Alexander's Macedonian army?

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
If you are aiming for the Alexandrian era (and not successor era) then the Foundry figures are what you are looking for.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 05:26:57 PM »
If you are aiming for the Alexandrian era (and not successor era) then the Foundry figures are what you are looking for.

Thanks. I'm very familiar with the Foundry range.

What I was hoping for is an image or two of a comparison for size between the Alexandrian era A&A Miniatures and Crusader Miniatures :)

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 08:49:35 PM »
I think they area perfect match, in fact I’m almost sure that some of the a&a range are by the same sculptor.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 08:54:11 PM »
I realise that both ranges were sculpted by Mark Simms but they are years apart. Just wondering they would fit together nicely?

I think they area perfect match, in fact I’m almost sure that some of the a&a range are by the same sculptor.

Which is why I'm asking. :)

Mark Sims sculpted the A&A stuff at least a decade back and his style has become less chunky and more slender of late.

I'm interested in a comparison between his (old) A&A Macedonian sculpts and his (relatively new) Crusader Miniatures Macedonian sculpts.

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 04:57:11 AM »
Images found on web:

Warlord Games metal horses are similar in size to the horses above.

The Crusader horse above is a standard one that appears in many sets including their various ancients. The Crusader horse is similar in size to Victrix plastic horses but much thinner.

So the A&A and Crusader horses are not compatible, I leave it to you to decide which size and style you prefer. The riders might be interchangeable but the Crusader riders will be somewhat larger and have a horse blanket moulded between their legs.

A&A and Crusader infantry match well. Crusader figs can be slightly bigger and the sculpts will be slightly better as they're later work from the same sculptor but definitely get infantry from both companies just don't expect the cavalry to match as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 04:58:53 AM by cadbren »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 06:53:22 AM »
Images found on web:

Warlord Games metal horses are similar in size to the horses above.

The Crusader horse above is a standard one that appears in many sets including their various ancients. The Crusader horse is similar in size to Victrix plastic horses but much thinner.

So the A&A and Crusader horses are not compatible, I leave it to you to decide which size and style you prefer. The riders might be interchangeable but the Crusader riders will be somewhat larger and have a horse blanket moulded between their legs.

A&A and Crusader infantry match well. Crusader figs can be slightly bigger and the sculpts will be slightly better as they're later work from the same sculptor but definitely get infantry from both companies just don't expect the cavalry to match as well.

Many thanks for putting in the effort cadbren but it's the Phalangites, Hypaspists's, Peltasts's etc that I'm looking to get a size comparison for.

I'll order a few packs of each and take a look myself. And, of course, I'll post up the images when I receive the miniatures.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 10:08:29 AM »
I realise that you asked for Macedonians, but there is a comprehensive review (almost along identical lines to your query) for Carthaginians from those same lines (and same sculptor) here.

It's worth noting that the same sculpting dollies appear to be those used by Mark Sims for the Macedonians too, so the review linked above may in fact be even more pertinent than first glance suggests... I hope, anyway! :)