Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Best" 15mm Seven Years War Figures?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
"Best" 15mm Seven Years War Figures?
« on: October 10, 2022, 03:29:16 PM »
I'm currently travelling through the former Habsburg territories and have been inspired to build some form of Austro-Hungarian army. Already having a 15mm Prussian SYW force logic would suggest either an Austro-Hungarin or Reich force. My Prussians are the old Freikorps range which seems currently out of production. I see that both Lancashire Games and Timecast/Old Glory produce ranges but the photos on the website aren't brilliant ..or maybe just don't come out well on my phone.

What ranges would the collective hive-mind recomm? Also, any to avoid!

Thanks

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: "Best" 15mm Seven Years War Figures?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 04:02:23 PM »
That sounds like a nice trip.

If you want something to match your Freikorps Prussians the options are limited.  That said QRF should have their Austrian counterparts available very shortly.  Essex, in my experience fit well enough with Freikorps.

I'd say Blue Moon, Old Glory and Lancashire are too big to match with Freikorps.  They do work well enough with each other. As does Eureka.

I'm currently looking at a SYW French Army.  After some samples and much cogitation I'm mainly going for Blue Moon.  I'll add Lancashire's French infantry command because they re excellent figures and their Fischer's Chasseurs.  Also I intend buying OG guns and crews, Hussars and light cavalry.

I hope that helps.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 04:51:07 PM »
Still on the trip. Just entered Northern Italy so may be seduced by an Italian Renaissance army! Thanks for the advice about Blue Moon, Timecast and Lancashire Games. Just the sort of information I was after.

I had quite forgotten about Essex. I have some of their Freikorps with my Prussians. I recall them as being quite pricey but their army packs look reasonable.

That said I will drop QRF a note and see when the SYW may be re-released. I'm also waiting for them to re-release their modern 15mm South Africans.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 06:11:34 PM »
I've got a little comparison on my blog between different manufacturers' Prussian infantry: Old Glory 15s, Eureka, Lancashire Mk 1 and Lancashire Mk 2.  There's also lots of other SYW stuff if you want to browse. Here's the link to the comparison:  http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2021/04/16/rogues-do-you-want-to-stay-in-the-toolbox-forever-part-4-some-prussian-reinforcements/

It's worth noting that Timecast are retiring imminently, so OG 15s might soon be unavailable in the UK for a while until they find a new distributor.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 07:37:26 PM »
Still on the trip. Just entered Northern Italy so may be seduced by an Italian Renaissance army! Thanks for the advice about Blue Moon, Timecast and Lancashire Games. Just the sort of information I was after.

I had quite forgotten about Essex. I have some of their Freikorps with my Prussians. I recall them as being quite pricey but their army packs look reasonable.

That said I will drop QRF a note and see when the SYW may be re-released. I'm also waiting for them to re-release their modern 15mm South Africans.

No problem.  If you do go for an Italian Army Lancashire sells Venexia!  Enjoy your travels.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 07:39:54 PM »
I've got a little comparison on my blog between different manufacturers' Prussian infantry: Old Glory 15s, Eureka, Lancashire Mk 1 and Lancashire Mk 2.  There's also lots of other SYW stuff if you want to browse. Here's the link to the comparison:  http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2021/04/16/rogues-do-you-want-to-stay-in-the-toolbox-forever-part-4-some-prussian-reinforcements/

It's worth noting that Timecast are retiring imminently, so OG 15s might soon be unavailable in the UK for a while until they find a new distributor.

A timely reminder, on the strength of it I've just put my order in.  Also, non of the stuff we want is going to get any cheaper.  There is a bit of me thinking buy now save money.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 08:15:27 PM »
Chaps, many thanks again. I suspect my Freikorps Prussians ( and mustn't forget the French...) more resemble Lancashire Mk1 in bulk and stature. I will drop QRF a query about their re-release plans.

As for my 15th century Italians they are 28mm.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 11:25:44 PM »
Chaps, many thanks again. I suspect my Freikorps Prussians ( and mustn't forget the French...) more resemble Lancashire Mk1 in bulk and stature. I will drop QRF a query about their re-release plans.

As for my 15th century Italians they are 28mm.
Yes, Lancashire Mk 1 were definitely a very close match to Freikorps, though to be honest I have everything from Freikorps to Lancashire Mk 1 & Mk 2 (& Mk 3 in the Austrian case), Old Glory 15s, Essex, Blue Moon and Eureka all on the table together and nobody bats an eyelid.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 02:41:28 AM »
Yes, Lancashire Mk 1 were definitely a very close match to Freikorps, though to be honest I have everything from Freikorps to Lancashire Mk 1 & Mk 2 (& Mk 3 in the Austrian case), Old Glory 15s, Essex, Blue Moon and Eureka all on the table together and nobody bats an eyelid.

Sounds like my Napoleonic collection.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 04:13:02 AM »
Jemima, I must admit when I saw your photo of Lancashire Mk1 Prussian fusiliers I thought they were mis-labelled Freikorps. Personally I wouldn't mix them but would happily mix the other manufacturers. I have also thought of Essex so I will wait and see when back in Blighty,. The only issue with Rssex are the cast-on flags. The flags help make up for my deteriorating painting/e t eight and I now much prefer the super paper ones you can buy.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »
Sounds like my Napoleonic collection.
And mine!  lol  Though my old Heritage figures are now long-gone.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »
Jemima, I must admit when I saw your photo of Lancashire Mk1 Prussian fusiliers I thought they were mis-labelled Freikorps. Personally I wouldn't mix them but would happily mix the other manufacturers. I have also thought of Essex so I will wait and see when back in Blighty,. The only issue with Rssex are the cast-on flags. The flags help make up for my deteriorating painting/e t eight and I now much prefer the super paper ones you can buy.
Yes, Essex definitely wouldn't be my first choice for that reason alone and I've only got one regiment (of Russian Dragoons), which arrived as part of a second-hand lot.  Someone gave me a pack of Essex Pavlovski Grenadiers and with their pointy hats and stumpy legs, they reminded me very strongly of garden gnomes...  lol

The Lancashire Mk 1 range was originally produced by someone else, so there might be some common lineage with Freikorps? 

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 09:25:09 AM »
Eureka for me. A wide range & nice figures (sculpted by Mike Broadbent IIRC). Old Glory mix well with them. I've only got a few Essex & they're a bit smaller, as are Freikorps - particularly their horses, which are tiny IMHO. I don't have any Lancashire or Bluemoon figures.

IIRC QRF sold off some of their ranges & a lot more are temporarily unavailable following the recent move of their workshop. I'm not sure which category their SYW range fits into.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 11:03:37 AM »
QRF has their Freikorp 15 syw-range in production since...yesterday. Now that is customer-friendly...

Cheers Fedja

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
Fedja, thanks. Just checked them out. Shame that unlike the Prussian range all the line infantry are in the same pose.