Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: It’s Frostgrave, Jim - but not as we know it…….final scenario  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: It’s Frostgrave, Jim - but not as we know it…….
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 04:16:41 PM »
Thanks for the session report. One of the reasons I don't play Frostgrave is that its scenarios keep calling for specific terrain -- and only once. While I can "fix" this, I'd rather not, especially since Frostgrave doesn't have other things I'm looking for (eg. campaign events, creatures that overlap my miniature collection), and other miniature skirmish games I can look into.

I agree - I thought I’d give it another try with the proviso that I’d use my existing scenery (hence the Time Portal). But having unique opponents in every scenario of a type that are never going to be used again - Fire Flingers, Burning Skeletons, Alchemical Monstrosity et al - forget it. Obviously, I used substitutes but they weren’t convincing visually. I also realised that a solo game centred on nabbing "treasure" was pretty unsatisfying.

Harrumph. Oh sure, the knight whacks all the strangely burning skeletons on his way to finishing off the adventure but can't put this to bed due to some last minute rule?  Obviously a prejudice against not combustible participants! Hopefully he can overcome this unexpected issue.
I think the Knight’s best hope of a satisfying adventuring life is if I switch him to a different system - one where Knights have names, back-stories and gain their own rewards and experience. With luck, this golden future will be his.

Meanwhile, I finished scenario 3 but truth be told, didn’t enjoy it. I’ve got a couple of photos from it to post later but not much else.

Doug

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 02:41:14 AM »
Meanwhile, I finished scenario 3 but truth be told, didn’t enjoy it. I’ve got a couple of photos from it to post later but not much else.
Doug

Bummer. You could probably fix the burning in post production picture manipulation but if you are not having fun with the scenarios it probably isn't worth it.  :(
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2022, 06:41:45 AM »
Have you thought about using the Captain's system of XP and advances ?
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 01:39:02 PM »
Bummer. You could probably fix the burning in post production picture manipulation but if you are not having fun with the scenarios it probably isn't worth it.  :(

Probably but I think not :)

Have you thought about using the Captain's system of XP and advances ?
Hi Giles - good to hear from you. No, I haven’t used the Captains supplement. I’m a bit anti expansions and supplements to existing rules - they can easily get bloated and unwieldy. However, maybe this is the time to make an exception and give Captains a try.

Doug

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 01:12:29 PM »
Scenario 3 and Silmar and his followers re confronted by strange, unfathomable runes

Here is the fathomed version

Plumes of smoke rise from mysterious fires as the Archer and Man-of-Arms leave Silmar and head left.

They cross a wall to get to the nearest Treasure and the fire appears to move towards them…! Oh crikey - that’s a turn-up for the book.

Meanwhile, Silmar and a faithful Thug are being harassed by a statue-thing which insists on throwing fire at them. It doesn’t do much damage but it’s annoying and it’s always there…!

Anyway, they nab some Treasure and move on to look for more. They find their way blocked by a strange - blockage? Behind it is more Treasure and a large fire off to one side. And the irritating fire throwing whatsit is dogging their steps.

They prepare to climb the barricade

But the fire moves to confront them

Or so it appears

They get across as the wretched fire chucker appears behind them - phew, that was close and no mistake…!

After that, it was just a question of getting off the board before it blew up which they did but with only 3 Treasures .

So ended my attempt to play some Frostgrave with existing scenery. I thought it looked fine but the gameplay wasn’t absorbing. I may try Captains but I’m not enthused :(

On which dispiriting, downbeat and frankly defeatist note, I’ll say for Dark Alchemy it’s:

THE END

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: It’s Frostgrave, Jim - but not as we know it…….final scenario
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 12:58:39 AM »
That's very different to my ending  o_o o_o but so much easier. Interestingly my fires never moved, either I'm lucky or more likely I missread the scenario again.

Nice looking scenery yet again,  like the chimney. Very Stoke on Trent.

It sounds as if Frostgrave might not get much more play time in your locality. Have you explored Rangers of Shadows deep?

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 12:33:49 PM »
Like Vaggers, I was going to suggest trying Rangers of Shadow Deep.

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2022, 07:48:18 PM »
That's very different to my ending  o_o o_o but so much easier. Interestingly my fires never moved, either I'm lucky or more likely I missread the scenario again.

Nice looking scenery yet again,  like the chimney. Very Stoke on Trent.

It sounds as if Frostgrave might not get much more play time in your locality. Have you explored Rangers of Shadows deep?

I have played mainly miserable games of Frostgrave solo yet absolutely love it PvP; I have just finished my miniatures for Rangers of Shadow Deep and am hoping for good things.

I am long overdue revisiting Sellswords and Spellslingers for Fantasy too; played it to death through lockdown but am getting an itch to send another warband out and about.