Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log  (Read 48563 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2022, 02:12:09 AM »
That's a frightening amount of painting that you've set for yourself. It would take most people  lifetime to achieve it.
Good luck and I hope you get to the end.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2022, 03:21:40 PM »
Here we have Col du Plat commanding the 1st KGL Brigade. As with the 2nd, I went with Warlord models for the stiff Germans. These paint up very easily with I and II KGL Line on the march below.

I would also love some feedback on Rapier Miniatures 28mm Nassau line if anybody owns them. Between the 1st and 2nd Nassau regiments, there are 6 Nassau battalions but Perry Miniatures only has enough variety for two. I am thus on the lockout for options for the other battalions and stumbled upon Rapier Miniatures. Their photos make the figures look quite small and hunched, but I can't find any comparison images online. All advice would be appreciated.
Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2022, 03:46:46 PM »
I can't provide comment on Rapier but suggest that you look into Front Rank (has large variety of Nassau figure types) and Elite Miniatures.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2022, 04:44:47 PM »
So far, so good.  All these minis look great!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2022, 06:02:51 PM »
I would say Rapier are comparable to Eagle miniatures, tiny bit smaller than Warlord et al but nice enough.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »
Vodkafan, thanks for the quick reply. I will try to get a battalion or two from Rapier then. Would you by chance know how Rapier miniatures are packaged? The online store shows random pictures of 2, 3 or 4 unpainted, or a cropped show of painted models, but lists every entry at 5 pounds. Is there some kind of standard package size independent of the pictures?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2022, 11:27:38 PM »
Vodkafan, thanks for the quick reply. I will try to get a battalion or two from Rapier then. Would you by chance know how Rapier miniatures are packaged? The online store shows random pictures of 2, 3 or 4 unpainted, or a cropped show of painted models, but lists every entry at 5 pounds. Is there some kind of standard package size independent of the pictures?

I have only ever bought from them at shows (Hammerhead) so sorry I don't know about their online practices.
(I just went quickly to check it out). Oh yes that is odd. Are there 2, or 3, or 4 in some packs all for the same price?
I would GUESS that every pack is four miniatures but I would contact them and get them to explain for sure. They are pleasant to talk to at shows, that's all I know!

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2022, 07:26:41 PM »
Vodkafan - thanks. I emailed the owner who confirmed that infantry comes with 4 figures per pack. So I ordered a few battalions of Nassau and - since you kindly mentioned them - also a few battalions from Eagle Miniatures. I am slowly discovering the world of smaller historical figure suppliers :). With these purchases, the full order of battle of the Army of the Netherlands is now in sight. I am still skipping the entire 3rd Netherlands Division for now, but the Brunswick Division and both Nassau Brigades are now present, except the II/28th Orange-Nassau and the III/1st Nassau. For the latter, I have some inbound command figures from Eagle and am tempted to use Wargames Atlantic Prussian Reservists for the troops. The third battalion was a Landwehr formation so it looks quite different than the Nassau line battalions  but similar enough to the Prussians. The packs are probably wrong, but that should be a quick conversion job. Plus, I have a crazy surplus of those plastic reservists, bought before I realized that only a few formations at Waterloo where of this type.

While my enthusiasm added 200+ new figures over the last few days, there has been at least a bit of progress on the painting front. Below at the III KGL Line (and the bulk of IV KGL Line is batched to completion as well with just the command models in need of finishing).

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »
In a fit of "completion compulsion", I bought the Front Rank Nassauers as well so that contingent is now well and done. Painting is another matter...

But at least the doughty KGL is progress with the IV KGL Line - and thus the 1st KGL Brigade - completed. On to the Light Brigade!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2022, 05:16:04 PM »
More great figures.  They all look good so far!

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2023, 04:11:06 PM »
amazing progress, love big projects like this
I use contrast paints myself for AWI, your method of not being too careful until
the last process is a good idea and also using apocethary white all over first
could solve my 'white bits' problem ( white flecks left that i missed)
thanks

Brian

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2023, 09:53:35 AM »
Skip - I find that the inital Apothecary White coat really helps to separate the detail on the model and guide future painting. To avoid white spots at the end, the sloppy nature of painting the core colours means that everything overlaps a bit which covers any unwanted white. And most colours, if overlapping, just become brown or black which creates a bit of natural blacklining at interfaces. Obviously this doesn't work if one side of the interface is a very light colour, but those get cleaned up with white. The only part where I have to pay attention is the beige cloth sack. To make that easier, I paint both the sack and the canteen sloppily - in both cases excess paint goes onto the strap - and then the separating strap with any dark brown which will cover any overpainted beige/blue just fine.

Speaking of beige, here we have MG Adams of the 3rd British Brigade with its light troops. First of those is the large first battalion of the 51st Foot with their buff leathers :).

These are Perry plastics but with arms - or just wings - from Perry, Victrix and Warlord ot get enough variety. Painted as usual but with a coat of Skeleton Horde over the white straps at the very end. The heads are metal from Brigade Games (formerly Victrix sculps).

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2023, 09:08:02 PM »
Great paintings!

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2023, 12:09:57 AM »
I just read through this terrific project thread, with its incredible figures, pace of work, and organizational rigour. What a real treat, with special thanks for all the painting detail, manufacturers' comments, and insights into how you organize units and so forth. Greatly appreciated!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2023, 07:45:08 AM »
Truly an impressive project I particularly like the natural looking basing which makes these miniatures so vividly and realistically come to life. Very keen to see more.