Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:32:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Xenos Rampant first game (Sci-fi Enough)  (Read 1843 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Xenos Rampant first game (Sci-fi Enough)
« on: December 04, 2022, 06:39:19 AM »
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”

My friends and I got Xenos Rampant and we were eager to try them out.  We thoroughly enjoy the other rampant series of rules. 

Unfortunately, I do not have any Sci-fi ground miniatures.  I explored the basement and developed an idea.  I brought out the Flames of war minis and quickly converted a list.  After all, to a Dark Age warrior of 500 AD the year 1944 is very much a Sci-fi setting. ;)

We made a scenario of an American Platoon (Light Infantry + Increased squad size) supported by one M4 tank (fighting vehicle) and one 30 Cal machine gun team (Support Infantry) attacking a German held crossroad.  The Germans were a depleted platoon of veterans (heavy infantry + heavy weapon) with a Pak 40 anti-tank gun (support inf + anti-tank) gun and a Panzerschreck team (support inf + anti-tank + close quarters doctrine) in support.   Both platoon leaders got the close quarters doctrine to represent being armed with sub machine guns.   The American Lt had the most dangerous weapon...a radio (Fire support option).  I got each list to 26 points.   

As you can see the options in the list are very flexible.  Allowing you make forces tailored to your taste or miniature collections.  Well done. 

The Germans packed with machine guns. 

The Americans, fresh off the beach. 

The Americans attacked the German left and cleared a row of bocage with aggressive attack actions.  The combined focus of two squads eliminated a German squad and it seemed one more would soon follow.  A walk in the park until....

At that moment, the Germans found the ammo for the MG44.  The buzzsaw went off with devasting results against the GIs.  8 of 10 men went down and the Lt was frozen.  He tried to call in mortar support but fumbled the radio.  Again, the MG44 exploded with vengeance and another American squad was gone.  The attack that had started so well was now in shatters.  The command squad fell back to cover and called for the tank to deal with the stubborn defenders.  A 75mm round finally ended that pocket of resistance.   

The Sherman tank was being hunted by the Panzerschreck team.  The tank could not see them moving just around the building.  Suddenly the 30 cal team poured fire into them.  They fell back to cover and tried to retreat but not before the last American squad pounced out of a building to finish them off. 

The 30 Cal team had done great work suppressing and forcing the retreat of the Pak 40. They both engaged in a back-and-forth firefight, but the Americans won the exchange.
 The Sharman had wisely decided to find a gap in the bocage to hide from the Pak 40.

With the last until able to deal effectively with the Sherman gone; the German Lt called a retreat.  A bloody victory for the American who now claimed the crossroad.   

The game was quick and fluid and my opponent and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The free activations allowed for more actions if you play around the strength of the unit.  The Americans moved and the Germans shot. 

We both really liked the change in the morale rules where only casualties taken for the event modify the rally roll.  This allowed units to come back that would likely never would in Lion Rampant. 

I hope you enjoyed this brief write up. 

Thanks     

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Xenos Rampant first game (Sci-fi Enough)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 06:49:58 AM »
Thanks for posting - it seems that XR will revive both my SciFi AND my WW2 projects.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 01:30:30 AM »
Yes, thanks for posting. Great looking table 👍🏼

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 02:32:17 AM »
Thanks for this. I've gotten pretty settled in Grimdark Future, but your write-up is making XRamp more appealing.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 03:27:05 PM »
I got my copy at the weekend. Had a quick browse, but I'm struggling to see how you would incorporate 'Force Powers' for a Star Wars themed game.

BTW, nice looking game.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
I got my copy at the weekend. Had a quick browse, but I'm struggling to see how you would incorporate 'Force Powers' for a Star Wars themed game.

BTW, nice looking game.

You might get more responses if you post your question in the general XR thread

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=138448

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 04:18:59 PM »
You might get more responses if you post your question in the general XR thread

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=138448

Thank you. WIll do.