Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First Impressions Review: Flags of War’s ‘Border Wars’ Kickstarter Rewards  (Read 1606 times)

Offline philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
My parcel of ‘Border Wars’ Kickstarter stuff arrived at the weekend, but life was frantic, so I stashed it on the beanbag around the back of the sofa. This afternoon I had time to slit the tape and take a peek at the contents.

WOW!! 

The figures are bloomin’ gorgeous - well (digitally) sculpted and superbly cast by Griffin. The horse castings are about the best I’ve seen in more than forty-five years in the hobby - helped, I guess, by some of the legs being separate (and a more-or-less seamless fit). I really am blown away by the figures: posing and anatomy is as good as it gets for 28mm (and the figures are different heights too!), and the clothing and equipment are spot on.

My copy of the rulebook has a fault - whoever trimmed it after printing and binding didn’t put it straight in the guillotine, so it’s not square - width at the top is correct for A4 @ 210mm; the bottom is wide, at 213, and the ‘bleed’ doesn’t cover it - so every page has a sliver of white. Iain is sending me a replacement. Content-wise, it’s very ‘pretty’, and pretty comprehensive - an introduction to the period, rules, scenarios, references, web-links to re-enactors, and so on. I haven’t read the rules - too busy right now to have the headspace for Reiver Rules.

The cards, tokens, Kickstarter ‘freebie’ stretch goals, etc., are all superb; it was well-packed and everything arrived in pristine condition. All told, allowing for the cock-up with the book, I think it’s a superb ‘package’, and a great ‘way in’ to the period.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Sounds great. Thank you for the review Phil.
I was tempted, but having some 150 border reivers already, I held back  :)
But they do look exceptionally good.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I am looking forward to getting mine, here in the States.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Armstrong47

• Librarian
My reward arrived yesterday,and it is magnificent.
A very high quality product,as one would expect.
I have backed 3 of Iain's previous Kickstarters and have placed numerous orders with him over the last few years and have never been disappointed with the service or the quality of the products I have received.
Really looking forward to the new releases in the New Year.
Brilliant stuff
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Great figures, Flags of War never disappoint.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.