Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space Weirdos Project  (Read 3734 times)

Offline JPeace

• Assistant
    • The Middle-Aged Wargamer
Space Weirdos Project
« on: December 06, 2022, 06:51:50 PM »
My last post here was in March 2021 when I hoped to start a DitDC force or two. Well, since then I've ditched all social media bar my website (professional and hobby); signed a 6 book publishing contract and had the first two books released (3rd out in January) and graduated with a First in BA (Hons) Creative Writing. I've also guest lectured at the same Uni, and done several author events.

But I've done little to no hobby. I've dabbled with a few minis from the shelf, but nothing serious. Well, in 2023 I'm coming back with two projects - Space Weirdos and Sword Weirdos by Garske Games.

A pure indie project, Space Weirdos is a fanzine tabletop skirmish heartbreaker of a game which takes bits of many different systems, smushes them together and creates a miniatures agnostic base system on which players can tag whatever they like. Think of it like Warhammer 40'000 Rogue Trader lite - the sandbox element is there but left to the players own imagination and creativity as to how far they take it.

Another factor is the buy in: £5 for the rules. £10 for two warbands (stargrave sprues from The Sprue Shop) and around £3 to print out the tokens and templates onto MDF. £20 for a starter set? This tight Yorkshire-man says hell yeah!

Here's all the pics of what I've gathered together so far (check them all out on my blog: https://the50pluswargamer.blogspot.com)

More on the blog. Hope you'll take a look and I'll post more in this thread as I put together Captain Kendrick's crew and the squad of New British Empire soldiers they'll be going up against.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space Weirdos Project
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 08:40:25 PM »
And here I thought the title referred to those of us doing sci-fi gaming!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 02:04:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing where this goes. 
I played my first game of Space Weirdos a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. 

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 05:34:53 PM »
I finally got to try Space Weirdos and it's a good, simple ruleset that still offers tactical choices.

I am interested in seeing where your experiment leads.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 11:14:32 PM »
I'll be watching with interest, and look forward to seeing both your progress, and also your thoughts on the rules.

As an aside, your mention of small crews and a RT-style skirmish reminded me of an other game in that style you might like to check out - Planet 28. I don't think you'd need anything else beyond what you already have apart from the rules, and it could be a good opportunity to do a comparison with Space Weirdos perhaps? Its author Nicolas Evans (AKA Mammoth Miniatures) posts here on LAF too.  :)

Also, I do love the Stargrave sprues - they are so versatile! I hope that in the future they do a robots and cyborgs sprue as well, but I've absolutely loved all four released kits so far. They mix rather well with Wargames Atlantic stuff, and a few of the Mantic sprues are quite compatible too.

Offline JPeace

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 06:14:49 AM »
A little more progress in between writing sessions. This time I've been making counters, using GIMP to colour them, and then cut out and put on 25mm mdf bases. More details, including a running total of how much spent on this indie project, over on the blog

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:11:15 AM »
Very nice.  :) Do you varnish or otherwise finish them afterwards?

Offline JPeace

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 07:15:36 AM »
I'll be sealing them with watered down pva glue, and then painting the edges black.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 08:24:02 AM »
I was slightly underwhelmed when reading the rules, but never tried them out. Will follow with interest.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 04:51:36 AM »
I'll be sealing them with watered down pva glue, and then painting the edges black.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend a spray varnish instead.   Usually watered down pva is ok, but sometimes it warps paper.

Offline JPeace

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 01:58:04 PM »
First off - happy new year everyone. I wish you and your families all the best in these really trying times. Grabbing a little hobby time is what is keeping me sane right now as we are having to deal with the imminent departure over the rainbow bridge of a family member, our beloved cat Tom who is 19 and has had his health deteriorate in the last few weeks. I'm distracting myself as best I can by posting on my hobby blog and here and putting a few minis together, so please indulge me.

Well, I took the advice and used spray varnish to seal.

I'm also looking at using some 3D printed models of Star Trek characters for new warbands

Nearly forgot - got the new dice to use with Space Weirdos and Sword Weirdos when it is released later this month.

More details over on the blog.
All the best

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 10:20:40 PM »
Awesome and since I have considered similar I am very keen to see more.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 11:43:22 PM »
Those Lost Heresy Klingons are fantastic.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 11:28:36 AM »
Interesting thread! I picked up Space Weirdos yesterday on the back of it - it looks a really good ruleset on a first read. I'm not sure if it's just my unfamiliarity with other offerings in the field, but it appears quite innovative to me.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
Interesting thread! I picked up Space Weirdos yesterday on the back of it - it looks a really good ruleset on a first read. I'm not sure if it's just my unfamiliarity with other offerings in the field, but it appears quite innovative to me.

You might also be interested in SWORD WEIRDOS which is due out sometime this month, I understand.

EDIT:

I see this has already been previously mentioned in this thread. Nevermind!
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk