Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who makes 19th Century Sailors and Marines in 15/18mm?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Who makes 19th Century Sailors and Marines in 15/18mm?
« on: January 31, 2023, 12:04:39 PM »
I have managed to secure a bunch of out of production Falcon 15mm Malays and Dayaks.  They haven't arrived yet so I don't know how big they are.  Fifteen mill' is an elastic scale in my experience.  The idea is to do a small Men Who Would be Kings project.  A sort of Flashman's Lady thing.

Obviously I need to buy the opposition too.  If the Falcon fellows are small I can use Minifigs.  If they a big 15s I'm stuck.  Any info' on bigger 15mm Sailors and Marines would be a big help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Who makes 19th Century Sailors and Marines in 15/18mm?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 01:17:46 PM »
Long time since I was a 15mm colonial gamer, but Irregular used to do sailors.

They looked like they were meant for the Boxer rebellion, being covered in bandoleers, though, which would make them unsuitable for the time period of Flashman's Lady. You'd have to decide if that bothered you enough to put you off..

I seem to remember Essex doing some too, in their Zulu War range. Guns would be wrong, but again, it might not bother you, especially in 15mm.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 01:30:43 PM »
Stonewall have the Capitan 15mm Napoleonic naval figures, if they are any use?

https://www.stonewallfigures.co.uk/product-category/capitan-15mm-naval-crews/
For example
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:35:06 PM »
Thinking about it, Napoleonic sailors would be more suitable (even though their fashion would be somewhat out of date), as Flashman's Lady is set in the mid 1840s, before there were any uniform regulations for ordinary sailors, only ones for officers (that is if we're talking about the British Royal Navy, I seem to remember the French get involved in the finale of Flashman's Lady too).

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:09:16 PM by Plynkes »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 03:59:59 PM »
There are loads of options out there but not sure how useful they might be.  Bluemoon Manufacturing (via Old Glory 25s) has sailors in the Boxer range, but also check out the ACW range.  ACW range across many manufacturers will have sailors, Stone Mountain for instance.  Of course, if you are going for the 1840's that might be a bit more difficult to find.  And Plynke's statement about Napoleonic sailors is a good pointer.  Men Who Would Be Kings, for me, suggests the later period.  Might have an extensive look through the QRF Freikorps ranges.  Perhaps figures meant for the Mexican American War (not a period I have an interest in) might turn up some sailors of the right time frame.  Not sure if they are still around, but Thoroughbred used to make some 1814 sailors that would be fairly adaptable.

For more Malay and Dayak type figures, might want to check into Grumpy Miniatures (I know Eureka in Australia has) if you need more. 

As mentioned, there can be considerable difference in size within 15 mm (same as in 25/28/32 whatever it is this week 'scale').  Irregular, Blue Moon both tend larger.  Peter Pig tends to be smallest.  Most other ranges are midway.  I find using the middle ranges with either of the large or small okay but not the small with the large.  But I still mix them at times - just not, normally, in the same units.

Of course, since it is 15 mm, sometimes just using the right paint job is good enough to use otherwise inappropriate figures if the goal is the game and not a carefully button counted figure.  There is also the case to be made that sailors were pretty much sailors until the advent of the steam engine - at least for the 19th century - though obviously not the case of uniformed sailors, just working sailors.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 04:05:51 PM »
If there are any Maori Wars or Indian Mutiny ranges that have Naval Brigade figures in the 15mm sphere, they would be a bit more suitable than your Zulu/Sudan/Boxer types. I'd have to leave the recommendations to 15s Away though, as my knowledge of what is available in this scale is pretty thin, and his is rather extensive.

Edit: Stretching my mind back many, many years, I seem to recall Dixon did an Indian Mutiny range that had a couple of sailor codes in it.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 04:13:41 PM by Plynkes »

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 09:32:07 PM »
Thanks everyone.  All useful suggestions.  The key thing is going to be the size of the Falcon figures.  I'll report back once I have them. 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 10:00:12 PM »
Wow. The hivemond always astonished me. Bever knew there would be so many options.  :o

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:46:42 AM »
Dixon does, indeed, make a 15 mm Indian Mutiny range that is still listed on their website and there is a naval officer figure that would work well.  There is also a pack of sailors.  Officer comes in 5 pack, infantry in 10 pack, all the same pose in each pack.  These figures would be in the middle range size wise.  Nice figures. 

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 08:59:08 AM »
Now the fun starts.  The Falcon figures have arrived.  They come in two sizes big 15mm and standard 15mm.  Same range, two different sizes. It happens. 

I could equalise them out with different thickness bases, maybe.

FifteensAway makes an interesting suggestion.  The Dixon Mutiny Sailors match the big Falcons.  Not only that but they also match ERM's British Marines.  The latter are for the 1840s.  But, would the sailors look right?  They are uniformed.  I don't know when other ranks naval uniforms came in.

The little Falcon's are a good match for Minifigs and Grumpy!  Going that route would mean abandoning the big Falcon's.  Could they be re purposed as Indian tribesmen for the Mutiny? Maybe.

I'll take some pic's for general interest and post them here.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 07:03:12 PM »
Yes, scale comparison shots are always appreciated!

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:28:25 AM »
I was going to suggest ERM, but it would seem you have some of them.
There used to be a Maori wars range in New Zealand, from an outfit called Battleine.
Sadly they aren't answering any emails anymore.
They would have been good as they had Naval gun crews and militia for the 1840's to the 18'60's.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 03:43:21 PM »
Yeah, I have the ERM.  I got them for the First Carlist War but they can now revert to type as Marines.

A Naval gun and crew would be great.  I'm scouring the internet.  As ever the trick is to get stuff of approximately the same size.

Offline Deratt

• Student
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 12:21:59 AM »
Not sure if they're still available, but I got a large pack of misc. sailors/marines in 15/18mm from Old glory a few years ago. A mix of flat caps, straw hats, berets. The ones that were in sun helmets (both covered and uncovered) were in tunics, and so probably marines. Also a good selection of officers. Cheers, Jeff

Offline Deratt

• Student
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 07:05:16 AM »
 I forgot to mention these from  https://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/511-Send-Gunboat-2.html#SAGN-1     
This page has links to 15mm naval guns and ship fittings, south seas native guns and junks, dhows, etc. Also some Dayaks, Chinese, Malays and more.(These figs are not top quality, but they are cheap!) The Europeans in this range are more mid-1800's. Also, a "Perdicarus Alive or Risouli Dead!" range from "The Wind and the Lion" film. (Again not great, but you can see painted examples. Cheers, Jeff