Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689538
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15 mm Central America/Banana Republic Civilians  (Read 1760 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
15 mm Central America/Banana Republic Civilians
« on: February 09, 2023, 02:40:37 AM »
Any thoughts of figures to use for unarmed civilians suitable for the 1930's era - need to fit in with Central America, can be the locals or foreigners but definitely looking for the locals (generic across the various countries for my use).?  Think in terms of a bit of a banana wars type of scenario. 

Armed figures I can find more or less easily enough.  Right now, the best civilians I've found are from Khurasan's Modern Zombies range (not the zombies of course!).  There dress may be modern but with minor modifications and paint jobs, I'm hoping they can pass, at least for some ex-patriots hanging around.  Alas, many of them are armed.  Really hoping for unarmed.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.  And in 15 mm (or 18 mm okay).

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15 mm Central America/Banana Republic Civilians
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 06:34:15 AM »
Be pleased to hear still about other sources but I continued searching and found figures I think I can make work - from Rebel Miniatures zombie range.  Also a pack of armed figures from Khurasan's zombie range, the Stay Off the Moors figures and the unarmed scientists, standing and fleeing. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
Look at Peter Pig, not just the looters in their AK47 range, but also:-
WW2 (Civilians)
Western (Unarmed Townsfolk)
Spanish Civil war (Non combatants)
Mex. Rev. (Film crew & civilians in sombreros)
etc.
Definitely worth a delve.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 09:45:35 PM »
has.been, thanks for the input - I actually have some of Peter Pigs sombrero wearing figures - I think only some of the women carrying stuff are unarmed.  Not sure how appropriate for 1930's Central America but it is at least worth exploring.  And since my scenario is fictional no reason I can't include them in.

I did order figures from both Khurasan and Rebel Minis.  Will advise how well they will work once I get them.  (Also ordered some more armed troops from - mostly from Eureka - to flesh out the better armed forces.)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 04:27:05 AM »
15mm not being my thing I can't really suggest specific ranges but rural types, campesinos and the like aside, city and town dwellers, the middleclass and upwardst to the urban elite are going to look pretty much like their contemporaries in Europe or the old Estados Unidos with perhaps a slight smattering more of straw or panama hats, although depending on time frame and season  they were pretty prevalent in pre and post Great War Europe and the US of A.

So any WW1/interwar/ Gangster civilians should suffice as long as they aren't wearing overcoats or anything unseasonable for the tropics. Maybe paint a few more suits in white or cream to suggest tropical linen.

For rural types, you might want to think outside of the box and look at what's available in Napoleonic naval figures. Bareheaded chaps in shirtsleeves, trousers and no shoes would be just the ticket.

The Mexican type sombrero is really pretty much a wholly and solely Mexican trope. Other forms of wide brimmed hat tend to be worn further south. Just avoid the Colombian version. You'll go nuts painting concentric circles and may hypnotise yourself into the bargain.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 04:29:30 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 09:05:06 AM »
The Blue Moon ranges from Old Glory include some civilians. The Night Chicago Died ones might be particularly useful.
The Gangsters and Molls, G-Men and Hillbillys with Still may contain too many armed figures for your purposes but would be worth checking out. Similarly the Boxer Rebellion European civilians and the Old West Civilians and Saloon set.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:15:31 AM by ithoriel »
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 03:34:34 AM »
Carlos,

Thanks - especially the bit about sombreros - pretty much as I thought. 

ithoriel, I did look at the Blue Moon gangster civilians but not sure their attire fit my need.

Think in terms of a bit of a backwater port in Central America on the Caribbean coast around the 1930-35 time frame.  The civilians will be both 'background' and an impediment when they flee in terror - which is why I am giving some of those Rebel Mini zombie range figures a try.  Biggest challenge for many figures are the hairdos for the men (lots of long hair) and pants for the women - both should be changeable with some minor modifications.

The scenario will include what I call proto-Nazis, backwater troops misplaced in time, British and German, and time appropriate US Navy, Marine, and Army forces.  And then there will be time appropriate local forces divided amongst a couple of would-be dictators.  And perhaps a few submarines mixed in with the tramp steamers - well, at least one but maybe a few less detailed 'table dressing' ships as well.

Hmm, I wonder if there are suitable "ragged" troops in 15 mm for that time frame, maybe late WWI or early WWII figures?  ACW much too early I'm afraid - even with my wilingness to accept broad parameters.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 02:17:30 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if there are suitable "ragged" troops in 15 mm for that time frame, maybe late WWI or early WWII figures?  ACW much too early I'm afraid - even with my wilingness to accept broad parameters.

Don't know about the scale availability but Chaco war troops would fit the bill wrt ragged looking.

Another thought may be Spanish civil war anarchists and militia. Maybe something similar from the Russian civil war too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 02:37:50 PM by madman »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 02:48:27 PM »
Just took a look at a couple suppliers I have used and Irregular's WWII Chinese warlord figures and Peter pig's SCW may work but the figures look mostly in uniforms and probably too "well equipped" for your needs. The Peter pig Mexican revolution figures may also prove useful, as might the Irregular Chaco wars range.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 10:56:05 PM »
I've actually acquired - and ordered some more - of the Khurasan Chaco wars figures.  The thought on Spanish Civil War is a good one - right in the time frame.  I will go hunting to see what might work.  Thanks for that (and, oh, duh, why didn't I think of that!).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 05:12:01 PM by FifteensAway »