Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689765
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Accidental Rohan army... WIP  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Accidental Rohan army... WIP
« on: February 20, 2023, 10:47:30 PM »
A month or so ago, I was posting about whether there were good matches for GW's Rohan warriors, cavalry and foot. I was hoping to find other manufacturers, cheaper than GW, to add to the few I had from ebay.

Well, now I've got a bunch more GW figs from ebay. Currently I have about 60-70 foot and 11 cavalry in plastic, and some metal leaders (mounted Eomer, foot Theoden, Gamling and Eowyn). Some of the plastics are damaged, with missing hands, or weapons, or arms, some weapons are broken but partly-extant (a couple of swords and bows) and some have been somewhat bodged (one of the swords of a horseman has been replaced by a bit of carved sprue, a cavalryman has had a bit of sprue vaguely carved as a spear glued directly to his elbow, as his lower arm is completely missing, a couple of foot figures have had weapons replaced by odd wedge-shaped axes). Along with with what I already have though, I can just-about field 20 sword/axemen, 20 spearmen, and 20 archers, as well as 10 mixed cavalry.

Some of them have been partly-painted, some were undercoated, and most are unpainted. So, I've started to get them ready, just in case at some point in the next ooh, 800 years or so I actually get round to getting them on a table, either as a Rohan army, or as units for Oathmark, which was my original plan (yes, I know I'll have to do something about the cavalry bases, but honestly they're the least of my concern at the moment).

So here's the first WIP (very WIP) of the first minis for my new 'accidental Rohan army'.

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Accidental Rohan army... WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 04:05:55 PM »
Lol buying primed and broken models was how I started my Rohirrm. I eventually had to cull a large number as they were beyond reclamation. I originally started collecting MESBG figures for games of War of The Ring but it looks like Warlords of Erewhon will probably be how they hit the table.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:19:17 PM »
I'm hoping I won't have to junk too many. But I can see that I'm going to have a bit of work to do to repair some of them. Maybe I just need to get better at greenstuffing.

And doing pictures, it's been a long time and I've forgotten how it works on here...

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 01:08:09 AM »
Depends on where the damage is on the models, of course, but is it practical to use some of the pieces from the most beaten up ones to fix some of their brethren? I find with hard plastic models replacing arms and broken weapons is usually feasible as long as donor bits are available.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 04:31:42 PM »
I'm not sure how many duplicates I might have that are damaged in different places, that's the only problem. Things like bows, they tend to snap in more-or-less the same place, it's always the upper portion that's come off; and with swords or sword arms, even if they don't break in the same place, the same part of the model is damaged.

I'll do an audit to see what I might be able to replace, but that's a lower-priority (except maybe for the cavalry models) than painting up what I have to an OK standard. I'd like to be able to get them into the field soon, and 3 20-man units seems do-able. Anything after that is a bonus - though I do have a vague plan for the horseman who's had a sprue-spear glued to his hacked-off elbow, he's going to become a banner-bearer, which might hide some sins.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 05:52:41 PM »
Great project, might be an option if you have spare bits from plastic historical or fantasy boxed sets. I convert my LOTR Orcs with bits from Perry Miniatures, Wargames Atlantic and others as those sprues are always filled with spare weapons, arms, heads etc
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/