Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oh schaurig ist‘s übers Moor zu gehen. Florian‘s Silver Bayonet  (Read 8909 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Good evening honorable gentlemen. After a long break from painting caused by the happy birth of my daughter, the last few months saw me getting back into the hobby. Philippa is now four years old and I have gotten back a bit of freedom.

So what does a true LAFer with this time? Start at least one never ending project in every subforum here! After 15mm Fantasy, SF, VSF, 28mm 30 Years War and Star Wars, I thought I’d do a bit of early 19th century skirmishing.

The very nice and lavishly produced Silver Bayonet will be my start. I’m not sure though that I like the rules, so I have Song of Drums and Shakos as well as Fear & Faith ready (since I’ll be mostly playing against myself this should be no problem, I intend to use the SoBH rules and the Silver Bayonet scenarios).

Anyway, as you now know: it’s going to be Napoleonics with a bit of fantasy/horror added.

Disclaimer: What you are going to see would probably get me kicked out of most Napoleonic forums worth their name. I do intend to stick close to uniforms, but I will make up a bit of alternative history in Northern Germany. That might conflict with the precise dating of some uniforms and units, but I want to have fun. And I do not intend to collect enough for historical battles, so I guess that won’t be a problem.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Oh schaurig ist‘s übers Moor zu gehen. Florian‘s Silver Bayonet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 11:03:06 PM »
I intend to play in an alternative past near my current home: Hanover and its surroundings. It is 1805, William Cathcart, 1st Earl Cathcart has been given command of an army to liberate the home of the British kings. He lands in Frisia and moves to northern Germany in an attempt to bring the French to battle. However the French army is already retreating. The vast bogs and forests of the North German Plain are home to sinister and macabre creatures and Napoleon has bitten more than he can chew!

Part of the British force are the 95th Rifles (they were really there!), who are sent forth to scout. They will be assissted by Light Troops, the King's German Legion and German allies. I’ll flesh out the background during my solo adventures.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 11:05:59 PM »
Here are my first models. A bit too many for The Silver Bayonet, but the Perry 95th Rifles are so good, I could not stop.
Sadly my casts had enormous amount of flash. Probably the moulds aren’t used so often now that everyone buys plastics.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 11:06:30 PM »
That sounds like a plan! Indeed it's schaurig übers Moor zu gehen. I did it and survived...almost.  :D
For me TSB was a relieve, because it finally gave me an excuse to paint the last few of my napoleonic miniatures whose already painted comrades also had never been used before, but now found a good use at last. I look forward to read your weird ideas on alternative Schleswig-Holstein Lower Saxony. I once had things to do in Boostedt. Perhaps it's Boo-Stedt in your world... lol Alright, I was too quick. Hangover is the capital, I suppose...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:08:26 PM by Michi »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 11:07:35 PM »
And here is the first monster: a Ratman sculpted by Copplestone. It’s an older model that now has found a new home. I’ll use him as a hobgoblin!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 11:12:49 PM »
That sounds like a plan! Indeed it's schaurig übers Moor zu gehen. I did it and survived...almost.  :D
For me TSB was a relieve, because it finally gave me an excuse to paint the last few of my napoleonic miniatures whose already painted comrades also had never been used before, but now found a good use at last. I look forward to read your weird ideas on alternative Schleswig-Holstein. I once had things to do in Boostedt. Perhaps it's Boo-Stedt in your world...  lol

Hi Michi and cheers! We’ll definitely go to Slesvig (I think it’s still Danish at that time) and Holstein and also the Netherlands. After all Winter is coming and national unrest is growing in the occupied territories!

Here’s another monster. A „demon“. I am not always happy with the Silver Bayonet lore and think demons are not really fitting, but then, let call them moorgeister and everyone is happy. These cruel creatures roam the bogs when the fog comes out. Their sharp claws are deadly and their speed is superhuman. It is said they live in the few caves known in the Bückeberge, Seven Mountains (yes, the one with Snowwhite is actually here) and the Deister.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 05:05:04 PM »
This is going to be my Changeling.
The model is from a Conan KS iirc. Very quick paintjob, so I can start playing soon: greyscale drybrush over black basecoat, then only inks snd a few details with normal colors. I even skipped the highlights.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 05:07:38 PM »
And another Changeling or maybe a „hobgoblin“ from the same KS. I have no idea who this little ugly is meant to represent. I liked him for The Silver Bayonet because in contrast to most fantasy models, he is sculpted not so comically distorted.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 07:19:32 PM »
Great stuff mate, loving it! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 08:37:56 PM »
Great stuff mate, loving it! 👍

Thanks, Rick. It’s a relaxing change. The minis are so incredibly big :) but actually it’s also nice reading. The Silver Bayonet is one of the poshest rulebooks I have ever bought.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 08:59:18 PM »
Absolutely lovely

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 09:22:20 PM »
Up to a great start. I'm curious about the 95th upcoming adventures in the unholy bogs of northern Germany.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 09:57:40 PM »
Schleswig Holstein and Frisia! As long as it isn't the valley of the lawless folk they call Finkenwerder we should be good. I shall follow with interest.

Also curious to see the regional spin on certain monsters. Irrlichter and Bog-mummies come to my mind, seeing as you mentioned the Moor.

Either way, great stuff thus far!  :)
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 10:11:26 PM »
For me TSB was a relieve, because it finally gave me an excuse to paint the last few of my napoleonic miniatures whose already painted comrades also had never been used before, but now found a good use at last. I look forward to read your weird ideas on alternative Schleswig-Holstein Lower Saxony. I once had things to do in Boostedt. Perhaps it's Boo-Stedt in your world... lol Alright, I was too quick. Hangover is the capital, I suppose...

Yes, that’s right. They still make decent beers there. The house of Hangover…that might explain the behavior of a couple of British monarchs ;)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »
Absolutely lovely

Up to a great start. I'm curious about the 95th upcoming adventures in the unholy bogs of northern Germany.

Schleswig Holstein and Frisia! As long as it isn't the valley of the lawless folk they call Finkenwerder we should be good. I shall follow with interest.

Also curious to see the regional spin on certain monsters. Irrlichter and Bog-mummies come to my mind, seeing as you mentioned the Moor.

Either way, great stuff thus far!  :)

Thank you gents! I’ll do my best, and am positively surprised about so many kind words!

@ FreakyFenton: For the beginning I plan to go around Lower Saxony mostly. So Harburg (which has only been annexed by Hamburg in the 1930s) might be a place ;)

I’ll first scroung through my huge pile of unpainted models carefully curated collection of curiosities to represent the Silver Bayonet monsters, but of course we need a bog mummy, Irrlichter, barrow wights etc. And maybe even some supernatural help for the 95th and Napoleon.

I’ve been hooked on the great CYOA app The Frankenstein Wars some years ago!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:18:03 PM by DivisMal »