Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: making tracks  (Read 971 times)

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
making tracks
« on: March 06, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »
Anyone have any idea how to make tank tracks in 28mm? I am wanting to build a 28mm Kugelpanzer see below and am not sure how to do the wheels/tracks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelpanzer
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: making tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 12:22:31 PM »
Depends on your basing material - if you use something like wood filler, then you can just use the model itself to press into the filler (allow it to dry slightly first)

Even just making two track wide depressions in the base behind the tank will very much give the look of imprint of the tank moving.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 02:33:53 PM »
Depends on your basing material - if you use something like wood filler, then you can just use the model itself to press into the filler (allow it to dry slightly first)

Even just making two track wide depressions in the base behind the tank will very much give the look of imprint of the tank moving.

I think Aethelwulf is referring to the actual caterpillar tracks on the vehicle itself, not the tracks it leaves in the ground.

Personally, I had decent results (if not aiming for historical accuracy) using single-sided corrugated cardboard, i.e. with only one side smooth and the other with grooves. Using a sharp cutter knife, this can be cut into long strips with the corrugation perpendicular to the length, and this affixed to the running wheels.

As for the wheels themselves, I'd suggest washers or wooden dowel sections in the right diameter - some craft stores sell wooden wheels with an axle-hole pre-drilled. Given this particular design, you could also use two round slotta-bases to create the centre depression, then glue matching cardboard wedges in at intervals. But that may be excessive effort.

And finally, have you considered looking for a 3d model of the thing, which could be printed by a commission printing service?

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »
I think Aethelwulf is referring to the actual caterpillar tracks on the vehicle itself, not the tracks it leaves in the ground.

Personally, I had decent results (if not aiming for historical accuracy) using single-sided corrugated cardboard, i.e. with only one side smooth and the other with grooves. Using a sharp cutter knife, this can be cut into long strips with the corrugation perpendicular to the length, and this affixed to the running wheels.

As for the wheels themselves, I'd suggest washers or wooden dowel sections in the right diameter - some craft stores sell wooden wheels with an axle-hole pre-drilled. Given this particular design, you could also use two round slotta-bases to create the centre depression, then glue matching cardboard wedges in at intervals. But that may be excessive effort.

And finally, have you considered looking for a 3d model of the thing, which could be printed by a commission printing service?
Yes I was referring to the actual caterpillar tracks. Will give the corrugated cardboard a go thanks

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 08:12:47 PM »
Nick some off a cheap toy tank!  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 10:03:28 PM »

Ooh! Clearly reading too quickly whilst eating!

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 05:26:01 AM »
Nick some off a cheap toy tank!  lol
I would do that, but the problem is, that the kugelpanzer is round. The name means ball tank!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 11:14:35 AM »
You could get some strips of card & glue on some thin strips of plastic rod or do as Tin Shed has suggested in some of his cereal packet voodoo & use the ridged corners of cereal packets & cut down either side to get a strip of card & glue that on at regular intervals to create the ridges

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 01:29:45 PM »
Ze first kugelpanzer is ready, ve cannot fail to vin der war now! (read with German accent)

Will post a pic soon.