Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What age is the 'stopping point' for miniatures gaming?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: What age is the 'stopping point' for miniatures gaming?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 08:59:02 AM »
You Can Take My Toy Sowjers When You Pry Them...
From My Cold, Dead, Fingers!

>:D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 09:28:30 AM »
...It's the stopping that kills you...

And that reminds me of the saying I have had on a sign on the wall of my workplace office for years:

'You don't stop playing when you get old; you get old when you stop playing.'

Words I strive to live by ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 10:20:40 AM »
Quote from: Tactalvanic on Today at 08:40:43 AM
...It's the stopping that kills you...

And that reminds me of the saying I have had on a sign on the wall of my workplace office for years:

'You don't stop playing when you get old; you get old when you stop playing.'

Words I strive to live by ;)

Amen to that brother.
I am thinking of organizing my boxes better, e.g. each box have a little card that says
something like, ' Figures are by Essex & are based/organized for ...set of rules. Rough
value of the boxful = ....'
So that whoever has to get rid of it has some guidance.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2023, 11:45:20 AM »
I am getting on, the hands are starting to ache, the eyes are not seeing the details they used to, all the usual stuff :(

My goal is to get as much of the lead pile painted while I'm still able, then actually make use of the little blighters when that becomes impractical.

I feel that, while there may be a limit to use of the hairy stick, pushing figures around should be virtually until my last gasp.

Hopefully, however, that's still a long way off (although not as long as I would like)

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 11:59:03 AM »
Yeah. I'm 47, and now I have to wear the reading glasses or magnifiers to paint and read rulebooks. Already had carpal tunnel surgery for both hands, although that's probably due to decades of drumming. Not planning to stop anytime soon, although I have slowed down on my purchases. Got a biiiiig pile of shame to work through. 

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 12:17:16 PM »
I have thought back this more in line with at what age does one stop buying and painting figures.
I can see playing for quite some time but at what point do I stop buying and painting things I might
get a chance to use.
I'm already buying things I'm pretty sure I'll never paint, let alone use.
I am content to accept that I am a planner of projects, and a purchaser of items for the same, that I will never complete. It's a whole new hobby!  :)
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 12:32:47 PM »
How can you ever think of stopping when thier is so much more precious to buy ?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 02:54:37 PM »
ithoriel nails my hobby 'addiction' - I love the whole process of researching a period, the available figures, buying the figures and sorting them to be ready to be worked on.  Have lots of those.  Problem?  The 'worked on' part.  Trying very hard to not do that any more. 

Organize? Yes.  Actually in pretty good shape.  But TOO much.  By orders of magnitude. 

But this thread is less about the end time and disposal and more about longevity in gaming while still alive, or at least that was its intent.  When intent and the gaming community collide the results can get - interesting.

Though I suppose my own comment lead it that way. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:17:43 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 03:09:58 PM »
At various times I have stopped buying, or painting due to circumstances.  Sometimes I stopped playing wargames but only when deployed on operations by the army.  I can foresee a time when I may not be able to paint or build models but I cannot see a time that I will ever stop playing.

My regular opponent is over 80 and we have played wargames for more than 60 years almost every Monday.  A son (in the army) who collects, paints figures, creates fantastic 3D printed terrain and playes wargames when home on leave.  Now I have grandchildren who play.  So with 3 generations already involved I suspect that my collections will go to good homes.   
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 03:12:00 PM »
Since I also write rules, I have collections to go with those rulesets. 

Most of these rulesets I have played with my wife and child, so they know the basics.  My gaming groups is also pretty familiar with them.  When I die, I have asked them to set-up my collections as games at the visitation, and invite those who I leave behind to play the games I have created together.  Some people will have never tried, and others will be old hands.   

Essentially, I want my remembrance to be a mini-Con.  The best way to remember me, is to play the games I created!     
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »
N+1, where N is your current age?

Admittedly I’ve had to eschew ‘braille scale’ - which currently is 15mm down. So that leaves me with 20mm SCW, 30mm 18th century, 25mm 1066, VBCW and D&D figures, 28mm 40k and Fantasy. But no intentions of stopping due to age. I’ve even laid in some 54mm plastics (just in case).

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2023, 05:46:31 PM »
My kids have threatened to bury me with my armies arrayed around me like the Qin emperor, so why stop?  lol

Outstanding idea!  lol

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 09:34:59 PM »
Old wargamers never die, they have always smelt like that

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »
I’m 62, and my father is 92.  He is now a bit frail, but is still playing with his hobbies, though with some serious magnification for things like identifying tiny variations in postage stamps. 

My hope is to be playing to the end.  As several other posters have noted, though, whether I will be able to paint all the way will be a different story, and whether I can continue to store the boxes of lead soldiers in the basement and carry them and the scenery up and down the stairs for games is also questionable.

My wife anticipates difficulty with stairs later, so I am considering that the one-level house of the future is going to have to have a game/hobby space on the main floor; it may be that move that will finally prompt a rationalization of projects/collections to fit that hypothetical storage capacity.  I currently have some 54mm plastics which would be both light and big enough to see, and a variety of other scales, with 40mm lead and 1/72 plastic seeing the most use out of the non-25mm figures.

Both of my sons play, and the first grandchild is due soon, so I have hopes that someone in th family may want the toys.  At least the sons should have some idea of how to dispose of things.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »
My kids have threatened to bury me with my armies arrayed around me like the Qin emperor, so why stop?  lol

My old mate is, after the funeral, when everyone did a runner to the boozer, I went back to the graveside and sent his favourite Regiments to Valhalle with him.
Least I could do for the CO of the Dynamic Dunderheads!

:'(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:05:19 PM by Harry Faversham »