Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:49:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Super Hero Rules?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Super Hero Rules?
« on: April 17, 2023, 09:50:34 PM »
Hi all,
I'm looking for a set of superhero rules where I can use any miniatures in it.
I'm hoping for some of these points in it but if they aren't there it's not a deal breaker.
  • develop your own super hero
  • co-op rules rather than vs
  • RPG elements
  • upgrading/levelling up the hero
Any help would be great.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Super Hero Rules?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 10:18:17 PM »
I think Pulp Alley can cover a lot of these bases. Haven't played it in a while, but you can stat up super-heroic characters easily enough, characters add skills and abilities as campaigns progress, and it has a co-op mode.

By default, it probably tends towards the pulpier/more down-to-earth superheroes, but it does allow for 'terrors' and other extraordinary beings.

Great game too!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 11:01:38 PM »
Well that really ticks alot of the boxes. And also opens up other pulp action type games for me too. :) Thanks Hobgoblin!

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 03:39:25 AM »
Power Legion would work well.
I am using them for the Teen Titan figures
I have from the old cartoon show.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 10:06:23 AM »
Thanks I'll check that one out too.
Has anyone given Slugfest a go? Seems to tick most of my boxes.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 01:30:15 PM »
I have it but must admit I haven't had chance to give it a go - it does seem to match your list of criteria.

It is on the list to try very soon...

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 03:22:36 PM »
"Super Mission Force" is my go-to rules for supers.  I really, really enjoy them.
They do the things you want, though they aren't specifically written for co-op/solo, they work fine for it.
Design your own, backgrounds have a direct impact on the game, and it has advancement.

I personally couple them with the campaign elements and charts from the 5Core games to add more RPG/narrative elements, but that's just my preference.

- Scott

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 08:55:34 AM »
I have it but must admit I haven't had chance to give it a go - it does seem to match your list of criteria.

It is on the list to try very soon...
Thanks, Hopefully someone else has given it a go. :)
"Super Mission Force" is my go-to rules for supers.  I really, really enjoy them.
They do the things you want, though they aren't specifically written for co-op/solo, they work fine for it.
Design your own, backgrounds have a direct impact on the game, and it has advancement.

I personally couple them with the campaign elements and charts from the 5Core games to add more RPG/narrative elements, but that's just my preference.
I was wondering about this one also. Glad to hear there is advancement. Always something I've liked in a game. Thank you :)
Decisions, decisions!
I have some credit in my DriveThruRPG account so may be using that to pay.
I'm designing a generic apartment for 3d printing so am wanting to use some rules to play on it as well as making some cash off the print files.

Offline Cusm

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 06:47:36 PM »
You can not go wrong with the Four Color Studio stuff, Super Mission Force, Slugfest or Super Skirmish Gaming. I haven't had a chance to play a proper game of SSG yet but setting up characters I am leaning to it as my go-to; it is written for solo but you can do co-op or vs as well. I have an RPG story I want to run and I thought of using SSG and the story for filler.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/10529/FourColor-Studios?src=browse10529

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 06:55:16 PM »

Slugfest is great fun. Basically a superhero version of Rangers of Shadowdeep, and I mean that in a good way.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 12:57:21 AM »
Thanks. I enjoy rangers of Shadowdeep.
You can not go wrong with the Four Color Studio stuff, Super Mission Force, Slugfest or Super Skirmish Gaming. I haven't had a chance to play a proper game of SSG yet but setting up characters I am leaning to it as my go-to; it is written for solo but you can do co-op or vs as well. I have an RPG story I want to run and I thought of using SSG and the story for filler.

Great. I'm leaning towards slugfest or super mission force.
:)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 06:54:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the mentions, folks!

Slugfest has the advantage of three very low cost adventures to go with it, plus the More Power supplement. It also contains multiple adventures in the core rules.

SSG is my newest design and reflects my experiences making and playing all of my previous games.

Any more questions, let me know!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 11:14:41 AM »
Thanks for all of the mentions, folks!

Slugfest has the advantage of three very low cost adventures to go with it, plus the More Power supplement. It also contains multiple adventures in the core rules.

SSG is my newest design and reflects my experiences making and playing all of my previous games.

Any more questions, let me know!
Great to hear from the man himself, thanks :)
Super skirmish gaming sounds interesting, I see it does co-op vs and solo. does it allow for levelling a character up as the "comic" progresses? Not a deal breaker as it looks pretty good already but my kids get invested in their characters and like to see some development.
I guess I could always hold back on giving all the powers at the beginning and make the comic progress them from newly finding their powers to gaining al of their super powers at the end of the campaign. Depends on how it works.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2023, 10:17:43 PM »
Great to hear from the man himself, thanks :)
Super skirmish gaming sounds interesting, I see it does co-op vs and solo. does it allow for levelling a character up as the "comic" progresses? Not a deal breaker as it looks pretty good already but my kids get invested in their characters and like to see some development.
I guess I could always hold back on giving all the powers at the beginning and make the comic progress them from newly finding their powers to gaining al of their super powers at the end of the campaign. Depends on how it works.

It does allow for progression. It’s somewhat Random, but your characters can change and grow over the life of the campaign. For example, characters can gain access to new powers.

Hope this helps!

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 08:40:23 PM »

The miniatures favourite games of my children! We are having a ton of fun with a set of rules so easy and with so much flavour. And, as Scott and others said, the evolution of the characters means something. I specially appreciate how SMF has a foot on light ruleplaying rules, because the kids love how their characters develop and could be driven in a campaign in a comic-book (or animated series) style.