Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WAB Late Roman/RB/Early Bzy Army - Progress after 12 months.  (Read 2898 times)

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
WAB Late Roman/RB/Early Bzy Army - Progress after 12 months.
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:57:12 AM »
Ok so I returned to the hobby just over a year ago. It's time for a progress update. So will attach some photos below of where I've got to.

Aim was to put together an army that could be used for WAB in Late Roman, Romano-British or Early Byzantine scenarios. I wanted 12 elements of infantry (each 24 minis) and 12 elements of cavalry (12 minis). Total 384 minis. I decided to allow some historical anomalies since the alternative was painting 12 elements of each for each 3 periods for a total of 1152 minis!

Progress has been slower than expected (what a surprise ...), partially due to losing some focus and partially due to assuming Victrix would deliver their new plastic minis on time. In reality, their infantry was 6-9 months late and their cavalry was only just launched yesterday! So I've ended up doing more infantry than needed, less cavalry and using more metal.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 11:11:55 AM by WorkShy »

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
Re: WAB Late Roman/RB/Early Bzy Army - Progress after 12 months.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 11:22:52 AM »
OK so starting in reverse order with 2 units of 24 Victrix Late Roman armoured infantry. One has longer spears and darts, the other shorter spears, angons and darts. 

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 11:31:47 AM »
Unarmoured infantry

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 11:39:12 AM »
2 units of 24 Late Roman archers. None of the paint jobs on these units or those above are ideal but I limit myself to a max of 15 mins per mini when it comes to painting. One clear issue is that GW contrast paints are a bit satin. I haven't yet got around to applying AK interactive ultra matt to all the minis.

Offline macmod

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 04:22:32 PM »
Looking good

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 05:46:19 PM »
Agreed, they look great. Completing seven units is no small accomplishment, even if it is behind where you aimed to be. It usually takes me a couple of years (or more) to get a ln ancient, medieval or fantasy army to that figure count.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 12:07:24 PM »
Excellent work  :-*

Do you have anything like an event in mind for the first outing for the army?

If not, I may be able to turn you onto some events as there's been a bit of a mini WAB Renaissance of late.

Offline Advario

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 02:33:13 PM »
Wonderful minis! Especially the units together as a whole look stunning! And I really like the mix of Victrix with some Footsore minis here and there :)

I recently bought all sets of the Victrix Late Roman range and will take a lot of inspiration from you! Keep the good work up :)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 04:49:39 PM »
Excellent figures.
Way to go in sticking to painting so many figures.
I usually last about 2 to 3 months, then I am off to other periods.
The nice thing is that I am retired, so there is more painting time during the day.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 05:12:59 PM »
A few more earlier units I painted. The first are 24 Aventine Early Byzantine Heavy Infantry. They don't really fit in terms of style with the most of the other units but I really like Aventine's sculpts and wanted those uber wide dished oval shields!

The other unit is a bit of a mishmash. Mostly Footsore Late Romans with a few Gripping Beast. Later I decided to cut of some of their hands to attach some plastic Victrix martiobarbuli and angons. I'm trying to represent the actual weapons they have in WAB on the figures.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 05:19:55 PM »
These are the earliest infanty units I painted. One is pure Footsore and the other Warlord (really Saxon Miniatures by Colin Patten). I don't really like either unit but they help make up the numbers. Basing is terrible as I hadn't yet discovered Warbases.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 05:30:38 PM »
Agreed, they look great. Completing seven units is no small accomplishment, even if it is behind where you aimed to be. It usually takes me a couple of years (or more) to get a ln ancient, medieval or fantasy army to that figure count.
In total I think I've painted 360 infantry and 96 cavalry over the past 13 months, plus I've got another 90 or so currently painted but not with decals or basing. I'm planning on slowing down over the next 12 months and focussing on quality over quantity but I wanted to get the "mass effect" on the table.

Wonderful minis! Especially the units together as a whole look stunning! And I really like the mix of Victrix with some Footsore minis here and there :)
I recently bought all sets of the Victrix Late Roman range and will take a lot of inspiration from you! Keep the good work up :)
Thanks. The Victrix sets are a bit of game changer in terms of kitbashing. So much spare material to use.

Excellent work  :-*
Do you have anything like an event in mind for the first outing for the army?
If not, I may be able to turn you onto some events as there's been a bit of a mini WAB Renaissance of late.
I've already used them in a number of games. I've got a 12x6 table set-up in one of the rooms. Well I did until one of upstairs ensuites had a leak and the gaming table ended up with a new lake in the middle of it!  The room is currently being replastered, repainted and refloored. 

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 05:32:03 PM »
These look great

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2023, 07:48:43 PM »
Great looking units!

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 07:17:04 AM »
Very good looking units and to paint this amount of figures in this period: wow.