Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Carronade Wargames show Falkirk Saturday 13th of May  (Read 1514 times)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Carronade Wargames show Falkirk Saturday 13th of May
« on: May 12, 2023, 09:42:05 AM »
 Did not see a post about the show so here is a link to the website for more details.

http://www.falkirkwargamesclub.org.uk/Carronade_2023_Home.php

Great to see it back on.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Carronade Wargames show Falkirk Saturday 13th of May
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
I'm going. Looking forward to it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 01:57:54 PM »
Did not see a post about the show so here is a link to the website for more details.

http://www.falkirkwargamesclub.org.uk/Carronade_2023_Home.php

Great to see it back on.

Totally gutted as I expect anyone travelling in England via train will be- another day of strikes on Saturday so it's a no go for me which is a real bummer as I was hoping to surprise some friends :(

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 05:22:59 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow ... barring fire, flood or accident!
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 06:43:46 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow ... barring fire, flood or accident!

You're already up in bonny Scotland? If not I don't suppose you will be driving up the A1?  ??? :D

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 10:40:04 PM »
Sorry Atheling, I'm in Edinburgh ... and don't have a car. So no use at all!  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 06:24:45 AM »
Sorry Atheling, I'm in Edinburgh ... and don't have a car. So no use at all!  :)

Ah well, it's Partizan next week so all is not lost!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 10:48:55 AM »
 It was a really good show.

Seemed to be quite busy and some great looking games on display.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 01:31:38 PM »
Having planned and prepared for a visit to the show yesterday it was inevitable that, as one not noted for either planning or preparation, nothing went to plan!

Didn’t feel well overnight, resulting in about two hours sleep being had. Still felt dodgy when the alarm went off at 7am so pottered around at home until I decided I wasn’t going to be spectacularly sick on the one hour bus journey to the show and left an hour later than intended.

Arrived at the bus stop a couple of minutes before the bus was due, to see it vanishing into the distance. Waited for the next bus which was due thirty minutes later …. but never turned up. Eventually caught the bus after that, which was about ten minutes late. So, already over two hours later than intended and still not in the finest of fettle I walked from the bus stop to the door of the school where the show is held. To remember that we were to enter by the door at the other end …. that I’d walked past the access to several minutes before.

Finally arrived at the proper entrance two hours and twenty one minutes later than intended, paid my entry fee, took the proffered MDF token (makes a pleasant change from wrist bands) to add to my collection and sauntered …. alright, alright staggered … in.

So, no photos this year. Too busy trying not to spend money I don’t have on things I don’t need and chatting to people. Oh, OK! Mainly chatting to people.

Carronade seemed to me to be back to it’s pre-pandemic self. Busy, but not so packed as to make moving about difficult. The show is spread over two large halls, a large hallway and two classrooms so there’s plenty of space. The traders I spoke to seemed happy with the level of business they were doing, always a good sign IMHO.

Lots of nice games being played but without my usual aide memoire of photos I’m not able to remember who was playing what.

My haul of goodies included a single pot of paint from Pendraken, did manage to catch up briefly with both Leon and Adele though.

Mighty Minis provided me with a Geothermal Exchanger and ideas for several other items they do. Nominally a 6mm Battletech terrain item it will do nicely as 20mm scenery.

I collected a pre-show order of MDF and acrylic bases from Warbases and inevitably picked up more 2mm Antonine Miniatures items from their stall. A fort, some elephants (to make the skirmish lines my main unit can split into) and another pack of their Republican Roman Legion which will make two more Legions and some Auxilia the way I do my bases. Not sure what the Auxiliaries option in the army list is intended to represent so may have to think about colours for them for a while. Since I’m looking at gaming in Gaul perhaps Massiliot troops or co-opted sailors.

Got a couple of Chibi figures which I thought were from Iron Gate Scenery but I can’t find them on their website.

Last, but by no means least, I picked up some of the smaller 28mm items that 4A do to act as slightly larger 20mm scale critters.

Looking out of the bus window at the Scottish landscape bathed in unaccustomed sunshine undoubtedly improved the trip there and back!

All in all, despite the start to the day, well worth going and very enjoyable. I intend to be back next year.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 03:45:23 PM »
I think I probably used up all the bus good luck in getting four to turn up and be on time. Sorry about that :D

I am surprised one was early, not surprised at all that one didn't turn up. The McGill's app is pretty good, so worth installing it before your trip next year.

The East door is closer to the bus-stop, so I'm happier with it. I'm not sure it was that well signposted, so walking past it wasn't too "senior moment" lol

I spent way too much, but nearly all of it on books. I bought a grand total of seven figures, along with some paints and odds and ends.

At least Claymore should be closer to your location, and less than 3 months to wait ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 04:11:16 PM »
'Twas the train strikes that stopped me heading north for my first Carronade in ten years!

Was I miffed? Yeah, I wanted to surprise a couple of friends as I've been ill for the last three years and only now I'm making a steadfast recovery.

Was it the end of the world? No, Carronade will be there again next year- and hopefully, so will I :)