Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: American Revolution Research Help  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
American Revolution Research Help
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »
Hey, everybody.  Not sure if this fits under Swashbuckling - I expect it doesn't - so I put it under "Other Adventures."

While there are loads of books pertaining to the political side of the American Revolution, and also loads on the upper-end of the military side (Washington, Cornwallis, etc), I've found very few pertaining to day-to-day life of the common soldiers, both English and Colonial.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really appreciate it!
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: American Revolution Research Help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »
Mark Urban's "Fusiliers" follows one regiment through the war and does a somewhat good job of depicting the details. Rebel Joseph Plumb Martin's memoir is full of glimpses into daily life. Other memoirs exist, but I have not read them.

Some are available on Google Books according to my cursory search http://www.google.com/search?q=revolutionary+war+memoir&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA .

AmericanRevolution.org has several books and essays available to download from their site and some appear to be memoirs http://www.americanrevolution.org/archives.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:31:34 PM by Aaron »

Offline gatetraveller

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this book has what you are looking for or not?

Patriot Battles: How the War of Independence Was Fought by Michael Stephenson.

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Battles-How-Independence-Fought/dp/0060732628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257181018&sr=1-1

The reviews seem pretty mixed on this one.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »
Look for "Sergeant Lamb of the Ninth" and its sequel, "Proceed, Sergeant Lamb", by Robert Graves.  They are fiction, but well researched and readable.  A very personal account of the war as witnessed by a British soldier (well, Irish, actually, but in the British army).

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Thanks so much!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »
There is a memoir of a Hessian soldier, but I forgot the title and author.  There is also a book about the AWI in South Carolina that is quite good, focussing on the many small actions in that state, but again I forgot the title and author.  There is another book titles "The Road to Guildford Courthouse" that I highly recommend.  Try the online bookstore "On Military Matters" and see what's there, or try the local library.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »
There is a memoir of a Hessian soldier, but I forgot the title and author.  There is also a book about the AWI in South Carolina that is quite good, focussing on the many small actions in that state, but again I forgot the title and author.  There is another book titles "The Road to Guildford Courthouse" that I highly recommend.  Try the online bookstore "On Military Matters" and see what's there, or try the local library.

I believe the Hessian is Captain Ewald, a jager. The book on SC might be by John Pancake.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
If you are after the Hessian Diary, then you are looking for:
"A Hessian Diary of the American Revolution" by Johann Conrad Dohla (Translated, edited, and with an introduction by Bruce E. Burgoyne).

I've this book in my collection and provides an interesting an informative insight into the day to day life of a Hessian. Plenty of scenario ideas too, contained within the book. Covers the Northern and Southern journey of the Hessian soldier from 1777 (his enlistment and journey to America) to 1783.

The introduction covers the makeup of the Ansbach-Bayreuth troops including structure and names of commanders for each company.

I hope the above assists you in your search of publications for the AWI.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)