Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fistful of Lead: Big Battles question  (Read 1111 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Fistful of Lead: Big Battles question
« on: May 19, 2023, 06:31:27 PM »
I guess this question could go in other threads but figure the designer more likely to see it here.  Input from others, of course, welcomed.

I figure to use this in Range Wars where each side might have one or more 'battalions' of figures with each group a different quality.  Primary reason I'm asking under the Old West board besides getting the authors attention - maybe.

For those wondering, I have a LOT of Old West figures.  Not just a lot, a really big LOT.  So, battalions works.

How practical would it be to use FFOL:BB for a battalions versus battalions game?  I'm thinking in terms of having all units start and stay - unless forced out - in Close Order.  Heroes and Commanders different.  Sort of an ACW style game - or an earlier period even when not doing a Range War game.

Reading the rules, I'm pretty sure it can be made to work.  Anyone else used the rules this way and, if so, what worked well and what needed adjusting?

I would have casualties apply to a full stand rather than to individual figures to improve speed of play.  Units will have 6 - 8 stands.  Have to give some thought to artillery usage.  And command radius. 

If I can make this work to my satisfaction, I'd love it since FFOL:BB only has about 14-15 pages of basic rules.

One thing Jaye might not approve of but I will add in is using the larger card decks adding Princess and Duke face cards.  My first thought for special usage is for bringing on reinforcements using the Duke cards, or some of them.  Still contemplating how to use the Princess cards as a Special - maybe some sort of morale boost?

And, of course, I know the rules were meant for skirmish but then there is that Bigger Battles element now.   ;)

Thanks for your input.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
Re: Fistful of Lead: Big Battles question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:47:44 PM »
I've played original FFL multiple times, and enjoy it.  I've used BB a couple times for ACW "big skirmish".  Seemed to work well.
But one thing in using BB in an Old West format is the different weapons each figure has.  BB works when a "unit" all has the same weapon (as with the ACW).  But what if your unit has some figures with pistols, some with rifles, some with shotguns, etc?

FFL has a pretty active FB page.  I'd suggest joining, and posing your questions there.  The designer comments there regularly.
Good luck!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 07:29:05 PM »
I bet it would work.  I would suggest that if the units die by the stand, they fight by the stand as well.  As for artillery, just as you would do with the infantry/cavalry, fight and die by the stand.  A light battery would start with 3 stands, a medium 4, and so on.  Otherwise, use the rules as written.

Not sure I'd change command radii (my initial gut reaction).  They would be in line with other battalion/regiment-level rule sets...

As for extra cards, I don't see why not.  Jaye has always been pretty good about people molding the rules to fit their needs/wants.

As I understand it, you are essentially just substituting stands for figures.  If you do that across the board, I would think you would be able to use the rules as written.

I would heed what Pan Marek said about weapons, though, and having your "battalions" have the same weapon types within each "battalion".
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 02:09:53 AM »
'Battalions' with same weapon should not be difficult.  Same with dicing per stand versus per figure.  Speed of play is part of the goal - along with greater simplicity.  That is part of the beauty of FFOL, both simple and yet not.  Have to check again on command radii within the rules.

Thanks for the replies so far.  Keep 'em coming.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 05:15:12 PM »
Page 20 of the rules actually shows stands of miniatures being used instead of single miniatures. We use it for ACW all the time using that standard so you should be fine.
There is no command radii other than Commanders can't use their abilities to help units more that 12" away. Units that don't stick together tend to get isolated and shot up with out having to create special rules.

As far as asking questions of the author, you don't have to post and hope I'll notice. You can PM, ask a question on Facebook, on Discord or thru the webstore contact. I don't really check LAF that often. Somebody else usually tells me there's something on here of interest. That's the only way I found this thread.