Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mid War Spanish (cont.15) Garrochistas and officers  (Read 462 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Mid War Spanish (cont.15) Garrochistas and officers
« on: May 31, 2023, 11:08:51 AM »
The latest additions, including some comment on the uniforms of Spanish officers.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2023/05/mid-war-spanish-additions-cont-15.html

This army is getting quite colourful and I hope you like the new additions.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mid War Spanish (cont.15) Garrochistas and officers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 11:26:13 AM »
great paint-work as ever.

here and in some of your other recent pics - bit of a colour-cast (i.e white balance) to the photo overall?

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 12:08:08 PM »
I had to change where I normally do my photography because the usual space is full of other stuff. The background is even yellower than usual for some reason; light is a funny thing. The background is actually a hard white - a couple of sheets of A3 cartridge paper placed to curve upward, front to back. 

Once my wargame table is clear again, I'll go back to doing photos on that because it generally gives a better impression of real colour - not always but, mostly. I'm strictly amateur when it comes to taking pics.

These pics, which I took for Keith Flint's Shadow of the Eagles rules, were taken with my Canon Ixus 30 compact. As were the pics I took for Osprey's Honours of War and various magazines over the years. Likewise lighting is amateur too: Usually just my fluorescent tube ceiling lights and various angle-poise with standard bulbs pointing from various directions. I wouldn't know where to start with anything more complicated ;D

Dan Faulconbridge (Wargames Illustrated) has come here a few times to do a photo session and the equipment he brings along (especially lighting) is pretty impressive but, it's huge and his camera has a control pad like something off the Space Shuttle: He explained, I simply glazed over  o_o
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 12:12:43 PM by olicana »

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »
I had to change where I normally do my photography because the usual space is full of other stuff. The background is even yellower than usual for some reason; light is a funny thing. The background is actually a hard white - a couple of sheets of A3 cartridge paper placed to curve upward, front to back. 

Some image magic to rescue one of your photos:

[1] AI (yes that stuff) to remove background in seconds.
[2] Auto adjust colours (one click).
[3] Manual tweak to colours (adjusting slider).
[4] Resize to tackle lack of focus in original.

Took seconds.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 03:57:32 PM »
Lovely troops! Now I have to keep up with the Jones' and find some Garrochistas!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 09:37:45 AM »
blimey, the future is here. Every thread comes with new, improved references to AI ... hurrah. Let's hope it can find jobs for all the people it's going to put out of work.

anyhow, yes - normally your photos here and on the blog are great, which is why I commented.

assuming your photos are going onto a PC before uploading, the basic Windows photo program should have an 'auto' adjust feature as Vexillia says - generally making a worthwhile improvement. May well do the job.
Should be the same kind of feature if you're using a phone for the pics.

I'm not sure if an older style camera like the Ixus would have such a thing, although you should be able to adust it's white balance in the settings at the least.
It made a great job of those 'en masse' pictures you've posted, given the mixed lighting situation you describe tho'.

Vexillia's photo above - no need to remove the b/ground (using AI or not) imo - looks more natural (less obviously processed) with some impression of actual enviromnent, as you normally do.
not sure what software he used, but the figures still seem to have a somewhat 'veiling' cast to me - not your usual clarity - I guess the cast at time of taking was very bad - so auto stuff doesn't make it perfect.

* actually, thinking about it: if Vexillia removed the b/ground before doing the auto-adjust that might explain why the auto white balance correction hasn't worked that well.
Making the/bground bright 'full' white' would skew the result. Another reason not to do that possibly.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:26:23 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 09:38:43 AM »
Very nice, your blog is pictures are a great inspiration