Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:59:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hello From Spokane, Washington (no, not DC)  (Read 4624 times)

Offline nomadik

• Assistant
    • Jesse Acosta's Art Profile
Hello From Spokane, Washington (no, not DC)
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:47 AM »
Just want to say hi. I'm glad I found these forums, it looks like a great and informative place.
I'm 27 years old, and my name is Jesse Acosta. I first stepped into miniatures in 1990 with Hero Quest, and have been a miniature and board game fanatic since. About four or five years ago I stepped away from games to focus on other things, but I'm back and it's because Legends of the Old West got into my hands. I've wanted to play it since it was first published, but never picked up the book until I saw it at a game shop. What also helped was that I noticed Reaper had a Chronoscope line of miniatures, and I immediately bought a handful. Wow, I think pewter is like a drug, because I quit buying miniatures for the longest time, and just because I saw some awesome miniatures that stepped out of the medieval fantasy I snapped right back into the old habit.

I haven't been able to get a game in yet, been busy with college. But I plan to within the next couple weeks. During my moments of free time, I've already constructed the "Land Office" in the back, but changed it to "Bullock and Starr Hardware". I've also found some cactus plastic pieces and mounted them. Miniatures are being primed as we speak.

Okay, now to more about me. I'm a student, I plan to be a Spanish Teacher for high school, I'm also thinking about taking the interpreting exams so I can interpret at hospitals, etc. I am also an artist with a graphic design background. I like to play "comic book artist" from time to time. I'm also a huge Zorro fan. I have just about every novel, dvd, and comic I can get my hands on. I'm really interested in pulp "comic" heroes such as Shadow, Green Hornet, Doc Savage, Rocketeer, etc. I'm thinking about picking up .45 Adventures and see what it's about.

Even though my LOTOW book is made by GW, I have to say it feels really nice not to be a slave to their miniatures. I've been browsing all over and it's great to see so many western minis by various companies and great prices. I used to play Mordheim and Necromunda quite a bit. I'm a fan of skirmish games merely because I don't need to buy and paint a ridiculous amount of figured before I can start playing.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. I guess I'll get back to painting!

Oh yeah, last thought. I used to have a miniature painting guide for the game Doom: http://www.jesseacosta.net/painting/  I never did finish that, I needed to take more photos, but life kind of swept me up at the time. But all my knowledge of mini painting is right there.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Hello From Spokane, Washington (no, not DC)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:24:37 AM »
Why dude,welcome to the site! I used to live up in Spokane myself for about 7 years. Well Medical lake tell about 2000. Haven't really been there sense. how is ever thing in Eastern Wash? Nice to see that Merylyns is still around.

oh and check out this site, ran by a fellow LADFer http://boothillminiatures.co.uk/
He is doing 1830s Zorro esq stuff. Purfect for what you said you were intrested in.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:29:59 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »
Hey there, I'm on the wet side of the mountains here in Washington state. But i do have some freinds there in the Spokane area. There are some pretty active gaming groups over there.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline nomadik

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
commissarmoody: Merlyns is still around fortunately. Not sure when you moved, but Merlyns moved from its old location on Browne to a much bigger building on Main, the gaming area is about the size of the previous store! I'll definitely be posting a notice for a LOTOW meetup and walkthrough for those unfamiliar with the rules. I just want to get a decent group of minis together and painted, as well as some terrain/models built. Right now I have a lot of cacti and a hardware store built, now I think I'll try a saloon.

HerbyF: There are quite a few gamers here in Spokane, surprisingly :) Most of it is Magic, Warhammer Fantasy, 40k, and Warmachine/Hordes. I'm hoping some LOTOW will spice up the gaming floor from the mundane standards.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »

Welcome!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »
Hello from just North of the border. :)
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »
Glad to see you here Nomadik, I'm just to see another LAF'r within a couple of hundred miles.

If you get a bee in your bonnet to drive a few hours for some LotOW I'd be happy to play a few games, otherwise I'll give you a shout in the spring when I next go over there.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
Welcome Jesse, I bet you´ll like it here. There seem to be many similarities we share. If you like to play skirmishes that allow a lot of roleplaying decisions (I remember Advanced Heroquest), give Buck Surdu´s Blood & Swash a try. These are my favourite rules and I use them for any period from stone age to science fiction. They work perfectly for wild west shoot outs and saloon brawls too!
Now get your figs painted and show some stuff! (I´d like to see some of your graphic novels too, if you don´t mind...)

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »
A warm welcome from a cold Sweden!   :)
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »
Another LAFer in roughly the same area as me - excellent. Wrong side of the border, but I won't hold that against you!

There's been talk of a LAF meetup in Vancouver (BC, not WA) in March 2010 @ the Trumpeter Salute convention. Be there or be a square rectangular building thingie!   lol

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »
Haven't been to Salute since I was about your age. Maybe it's time I came up again.
Another LAFer in roughly the same area as me - excellent. Wrong side of the border, but I won't hold that against you!

There's been talk of a LAF meetup in Vancouver (BC, not WA) in March 2010 @ the Trumpeter Salute convention. Be there or be a square rectangular building thingie!   lol

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »
Hey Nomadik, Check out the White Elephant stores over there for Ertl Cow Town stuff. Their western buildings are great with 28mm figures. That is where I got mine really cheap.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:01:49 AM »
There's been talk of a LAF meetup in Vancouver (BC, not WA) in March 2010 @ the Trumpeter Salute convention. Be there or be a square rectangular building thingie!   lol

There is, eh? Damn, I didn't know. Maybe I could have the time to go then and stuff. But otherwise you can take your square box doodad and shove it :P.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »
Eben though I am not an American I consider Washington State my second home after having spend a year near Wenatchee. So a warm welcome to you from me.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline nomadik

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
Eben though I am not an American I consider Washington State my second home after having spend a year near Wenatchee. So a warm welcome to you from me.

I dated a girl from Wenatchee, I really like the smaller towns in Washington, Wenatchee especially. Thanks for the warm welcome.