Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:13:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697727
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Small table, Epic scale.  (Read 981 times)

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
Small table, Epic scale.
« on: June 19, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
I have been working with the Warlord Games epic scale figures on smaller base sizes, 40mm to be precise! My table is 3x4, so the bases that come with the figures are not a runner. Each battalion has two 40x20 bases, which gives a 40x40 footprint (in column). This also allows the possibility of two bases side by side for battalion in line and back to back for square ( each base has two ranks of seven figures). I am hoping to try them out soon with the Valour and Fortitude rules. I have completed two brigades of French infantry, and two light cavalry regiments. I was hoping to paint up some opposition for the French also. The hundred days campaign does not hold much interest for me so I was thinking of painting up some of the warlord minis as Austrians! My question is should I use the French minis or some of the Prussians? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I will try to upload a few photos.

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
Re: Small table, Epic scale.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 04:44:01 PM »
You could paint some as the smaller German states that changed sides.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 05:31:51 PM »
Good looking figures - and smaller bases are a good idea.

The problem with the Warlord Epic stuff is that it’s a bit of a unique scale. For the ACW ranges people have used Kallistra 12mm alongside, but I don’t think Kallistra do Naps. You could look at some of hte older / smaller 15mm ranges.

The Pendraken 10mm Nap range is big, but will be a bit small vs Warlord Epic.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 06:56:01 PM »
I just watched a video and it appears to me that the Nappy miniatures are a tad bigger then the ACW ones.

Can anyone nail this down?

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 08:58:33 PM »
Looks to me like the bearskins seem to account for most of the height difference...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 09:14:39 PM »
To my eye the muskets are definitely longer and if you look at the French officer, his eye appears to me to line up with the top of the confederate hat.

We maybe talking about a mm or so here, but, for folks who want to use other figures for greater variation, there maybe some options.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone who has an example of both types of miniatures could weigh in and tell us exactly how the two stack up.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 07:57:59 AM »
Chillyray - your cavalry look very nice and I like the 40mm basing idea, a good solution. The 60mm as universal does come with some problems.

I have been looking at the ECW and for my smaller table, I would like to see the musket wings on a shorter frontage but deeper, so I think there is a good amount of potential for tinkering with basing for the Epic series.

For the infantry, did you just cut and snap? Did you find that you needed to rebuild the arm where the snap line is made?

John Stallard has said that at some point EPIC Austrians and Russians will follow, so if you wait you ‘may’ get the proper figures, though it will be interesting to see whether they do Austrians for say 1809 and earlier with the helmet or whether they go for 1813 /14, when the infantry had the shako. For my money, I am interested in 1809.

I have got the Prussians and they are a nice figure and paint up well without needing too much work - so I am in the same boat as you, I want Austrians …. But I have decided to wait and put the Prussians into employment in the meantime.

there is potentially a lot of painting in these boxes, so one needs to develop a style that accords with the 3’ rule just to get the numbers done.

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 10:00:30 AM »
I just went ahead and painted up a 2 Austrian Battalions. I think they look o.k. This small scale is very forgiving. I took a better shot of a French regiment, 3 battalions. the Austrians regiments will also have three battalions. I gave them an extra base each to represent their bigger size. Also some French chasseurs (someone has to keep those hussars in their place!) Thanks to everyone for the input. Norm, the Miniature Realms does a great video on dividing the bases, and repairing the edges using green stuff. sometimes they look o.k. with just a clean up. I think I will also go down the Prussian route, but I will still do one brigade of Austrian infantry. Also their hussars are so spectacular, I just cannot resist them. I am going to paint up my French carabiniers as Austrian cuirassiers. Probably crazy... I will keep you posted.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 11:06:40 AM »
Thanks, will follow with interest. Cutting the bases gives a good opportunity of getting rid of that gap between each base when using the provided 60mm bases. I had been trimming the ends of my bases and putting onto 55mm bases and they look better for that ….. now seriously considering re-basing towards your 40mm suggestion, will try with some unpainted figures first!