Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:44:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Recommended Reading for the British/Allied Army of the SYW  (Read 1400 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Good morning. Having recently re-started gaming Seven Year War after a gap of nearly 30 years, I'm considering buying a British/Hanoverian/Allied force to take on my massed French army in Europe. Can anyone give some advice on books that focus on the Army's organisation and maybe a bit of history?  I've trawled the Osprey website, Caliver Books and Amazon and have found surprisingly few that I would want to buy without further recommendation.  Most British 18th century titles seem to focus on the '45 , French Indian Wars or American Revolution.  I can see a few volumes on "uniforms" but very little on the ORBATs.

Thanks.       

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Recommended Reading for the British/Allied Army of the SYW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »
A bit eye-watering price-wise, but if you're looking beyond uniforms, Sir Reginal Savory's "His Britannic Majesty's Army in Germany in the Seven Years' War" is pretty much THE book on the subject.

In terms of uniforms and organisation, as the owner of the 3-part Osprey MAA on King George's Army, and the accompanying Warrior titles on other ranks and officers, all by Stuart Reid, I can thoroughly recommend all of them.  There is a new MAA on "Frederick the Great's Allies" but I know nothing about it.

Hopefully, another member with the screen name "Jemima Fawr" will come along, correct all my errors and put you straight, as he is an absolute mine of information on this subject.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 07:42:12 PM »
Baron, thanks for the suggestions. I'm afraid at £200 the Savory book is a bit beyond my budget for a "fringe" project. i have all the Ospreys you mention and having looked at them they do cover basic detail such as uniform colours and regimental facings. What I still lack is any "campaign narrative" plus ORBATs.  I do have the venerable Mollo/MacGregor Blandford book on the Uniforms of the SYW which has some data but not much.   

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 11:10:30 PM »
Have you perused the campaigns and battles pages on kronoskaf.com?

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 05:43:27 AM »
Citizen Sade, many thanks for the suggestion.  I accidentally found the site last weekend whilst following a link from the "Honours of War" rules forum, but I didn't realise what a rich resource it is until you have mentioned it. Sounds like there isn't a decent single-volume book out there so I'll be piecing things together from a variety of paper and web-based sources which is fine. I know back in the early '90s Pengel and Hurt and Alan Sapherson published quite nice wargaming guides to various SYW armies but it seems these now are nigh-on impossible to find.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 06:31:44 AM »
You’re welcome.

I think I still have all the P&H’s on the French stowed away somewhere so, feel free to drop my a PM if you ever have any queries about that army.

Offline Panzer21

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 08:06:40 AM »
Savory was reprinted for a reasonable price; not sure what the cost is now:

http://www.18thcenturypress.com/savory.html

I've seen this highly recommended:

https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/the-army-of-george-ii-1727-1760-the-soldiers-who-forged-an-empire.php?sid=2bf7ef0085968beec3f81322a2c10ed7

Helion have lots of interest, books on Minden and Hastenbeck among others....

Neil

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 12:10:30 PM »
Savory’s book is excellent if you can get hold of it, I had a 1st edition, sold it and then bought the reprint as soon as it was announced.

It looks like you can get a pdf version for a reasonable price here
https://academic.oup.com/ahr/article-abstract/72/1/184/170629

I did a breakdown of the British/Hanoverian/others forces using the Kronoskaf site when Tod Kershner did a 3rd Edition of his rules “Warfare in the Age of Reason” and the percentage of British in the army is quite small so I would suggest when you build your forces, build them around specific battles.

I am using Front Rank for both sides to replace forces I sold off in 1999.

Pengel & Hurt are excellent, as is a set by Bill Biles.

As Citizen Sade said, if you need help, just ask as I have the P&G, Biles plus other books on the British/Hanoverian army.

Cheers,

Graham W

Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 05:23:34 PM »
Chaps, many thanks for the various suggestions. I had missed the Helion book when trawling their website so may be tempted by that. Judging by what you say I might just assemble a British/Hanoverian/Brunswick force using the Minden ORBAT as a rough template.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 07:58:28 PM »
I got the first edition of Savory as a present from my wife. Shortly afterwards it was reprinted.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:44:10 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Panzer21

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 09:02:18 AM »
Look out for "The Coward of Minden" which gives a bit of flavour to the army, covers Minden and is a less hagiographic study on Ferdinand of Brunswick's generalship. It looks in detail at Lord George Sackville.

Neil

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 03:20:15 PM »
Thanks. It is clear I need to read more on Minden.

Offline Panzer21

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
Thanks. It is clear I need to read more on Minden.

Stuart Reid has a book on the battle; if you can find a copy there's one in the old Knight's Battles for wargamers series.
Neil

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 05:47:49 PM »
Panzer 21, whilst the Reid book is currently half-price on Amazon the reviews aren't great. In particular the lack of maps is noted which is something I found extremely frustrating reading his military history of the English Civil War. However I also saw that Helion publish a newer volume which although nearly £30 may prove a better buy. I've located a copy of the Knight's Minden book but at $45 plus P&P won't be buying it. I'm slightly surprised there isn't an Osprey "Campaign" on Minden but there isn't!

Offline Panzer21

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 07:01:42 PM »
Panzer 21, whilst the Reid book is currently half-price on Amazon the reviews aren't great. In particular the lack of maps is noted which is something I found extremely frustrating reading his military history of the English Civil War. However I also saw that Helion publish a newer volume which although nearly £30 may prove a better buy. I've located a copy of the Knight's Minden book but at $45 plus P&P won't be buying it. I'm slightly surprised there isn't an Osprey "Campaign" on Minden but there isn't!

It's Neil :-)

TBH, neither is that great but the Knight's book is better. It's a confusing battle. Coward of Minden helps with understanding the British cavalry wing.
It's a pity Duffy didn't tackle the western theatre.
Helion books - wait for a sale (sign up to the mailing list) as it can be up to 25% off. I think I have a copy of Brazen Wall but haven't got around to reading it.
Neil