Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:38:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nottingham - I'm convinced it's a day trip only  (Read 7474 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Nottingham - I'm convinced it's a day trip only
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 03:01:29 PM »
If it's your bag, there are fantastic hikes to be had in the Pentland Hills outside Edinburgh (between half an hour and an hour on the bus, depending where you want to start - you can also take a taxi). They're not huge hills by any means, but they're nicely craggy in places, and you can easily find a route to suit your tastes and energy levels. There's a dry ski slope (Hillend) out there too. And you can plan routes to end at a country pub for refuelling.

The Pentlands are also good for mountain biking, and you can get there along the Water of Leith from the centre of Edinburgh (so entirely offroad). You can hire bikes in town. There are also good bike runs out of town in various directions (you can cycle to Falkirk along the canal, and to Glasgow beyond that if you really want to - I did it a couple of years ago, and it was a blast).

There are various rock-climbing places in town, and a much bigger one at Ratho (which can be reached by bike along the canal).

If you're willing to look a little further afield, there are lots of great things to do in the East Neuk of Fife (a couple of hours by train/bus from Edinburgh). The  Elie Chain Walk is fantastic; I've done it twice with my family, and they absolutely loved it both times. I've seen it described as the best walk in Britain (it's not exactly a 'walk', though!). You could do that as a daytrip from Edinburgh if you timed it right with train/bus/tides. Anstruther (20 minutes by bus from Elie or a decent coastal walk) has some of the best fish and chips in the world and amazing boat trips to the Isle of May (occupied by thousands of puffins at certain times).

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2023, 03:53:38 PM »
Touristy but possibly interesting: a boat tour from Sth Queensferry to the deserted medieval abbey on Inchcolm island. You get to see (but not land on) some of the islands fortified in the world wars, too.

You could also - combination of doing something and looking at something - climb Berwick Law. Easy train out there, and you get good views of the whole coast (assuming the weather is OK), and possibly close up views of wild ponies.

If you're travelling with any smallish children, send me a message and I can send you some tips on child-friendly activities (I have a 5 yr old). I dunno anything about activities for older kids sorry.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 06:35:13 PM »
Zemjw, Foundry have now moved from Nottingham to a site in the middle of nowhere SW of Newark-upon-Trent. From memory it is a few hundred yards from the 1487 battle of Stoke Field, one of the revolts vs Henry VII.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 06:59:28 PM »
Zemjw, Foundry have now moved from Nottingham to a site in the middle of nowhere SW of Newark-upon-Trent. From memory it is a few hundred yards from the 1487 battle of Stoke Field, one of the revolts vs Henry VII.

What he said. Plus also Warhammer World store is now very good/spectacular indeed.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2023, 08:02:09 PM »
Foundry operates out of the Carriage Court at Stoke Hall near Newark, but it's up for sale. Things are a bit up in the air at the moment. So much so that I don't know whether Bring Out Your Lead 2023 (August 4th-6th) will be there or at the new premises nearby. FWIW, BOYL's always a craic if you're an Oldhammer fan.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2023, 08:16:07 AM »
If I may insert another question into this thread regarding weather and times to visit UK.

Wife wants to "go to London".  She can't say why, just wants to - though perhaps some subsidence since the passing of the Queen.  Doesn't seem too keen on the King. 

But we are planning to go next year (2024) and was hoping to do it in May to coincide with a milestone wedding anniversary.  A friend from UK says better to go in June because of weather (he hasn't lived there for a couple of decades, though). 

I am going to make it a full on UK tour (less Northern Ireland, know of nothing of interest to include, Ireland a maybe).  So, London for sure, but south of country all the way to Wales (and Stonehenge - there is this kid inside me that absolutely insists).  Also, castles, wife likes castles.  Probably stay in one of those swank national heritage lodgings for at least one night.  Both Yorktown and Newcastle appeal as does Edinburgh.  Would very much like to make a stop on Hadrian's Wall.  Lake country and those quaint picturesque countrysides - think stone enclosures, small villages potential itinerary items need to be included for at least a drive through.

Not so interesting: whiskey distilleries (on many group tours it seems), Bath - too touristy seeming from afar, Beatles stops (love the music but no need to see any sites).  Big maybe, stopping into a gaming convention to see how 'the other half' does it.  I love history, wife loves gardening and castles so needs to be a nice balance for both of us to enjoy the trip.  Oh, London and its museums are a certainty and probably the library, too.  Will stay for as many as five days, maybe tacked on front and back of trip.

As to length, perhaps three full weeks, maybe even an extra day or two if it adds something really interesting.

So, from a weather perspective, difference between May and June?  We can handle a bit of drizzle or a need for a light jacket but would like to avoid snow and full on downpours as much as practical.  And I will happily tolerate a little less nice weather to avoid less nice crowds.

Oh, another question: small group tours, those with 16 or fewer people as opposed to a bus load of 48+.  Any thoughts, ideas?  I know they cost A LOT MORE but with a driver and area appropriate tour guides, seems a better option.  Not sure I want to drive on the wrong side of the road with a car that has the driving wheel on the road side of the car!  :o lol.  So, a tour seems on the cards unless I'm thoroughly convinced otherwise - and I do mean thoroughly.  ;)

Thanks for your constructive input.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2023, 09:52:09 AM »
What he said. Plus also Warhammer World store is now very good/spectacular indeed.

I checked last night, and it was July 2009 when I was in Nottingham, so 14 years ago :o

Glad they've improved it. I think it was more just a front-end to the factory when I was there. I was looking for some of their 54mm 40K figures. They didn't have any in stock, but they offered to get them from the factory for me. Unfortunately I didn't have time, and I really wanted to browse anyway, and see if any of them leapt out at me (it was an odd range, but that's for a different thread). I ended up buying a couple of brushes and the subscription White Dwarf figure

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2023, 10:21:36 AM »
So, from a weather perspective, difference between May and June?  We can handle a bit of drizzle or a need for a light jacket but would like to avoid snow and full on downpours as much as practical.  And I will happily tolerate a little less nice weather to avoid less nice crowds.

Any bet on the British weather is doomed to failure! There's no risk of snow in May; full-on downpours are a feature of all months. This June was very hot and fairly dry, but even then, there was some heavy rain. And a feature of an island climate is that you can get blazing sunshine and heavy rain in the same day (and more than once each).

That said, if you've got a wedding in May, you'd probably be better with the three weeks after rather than before. But it's a shot in the dark, really.

Oh, another question: small group tours, those with 16 or fewer people as opposed to a bus load of 48+.  Any thoughts, ideas?  I know they cost A LOT MORE but with a driver and area appropriate tour guides, seems a better option.  Not sure I want to drive on the wrong side of the road with a car that has the driving wheel on the road side of the car!  :o lol.  So, a tour seems on the cards unless I'm thoroughly convinced otherwise - and I do mean thoroughly.  ;)

Those sorts of tours are great. There are, for example, lots from Edinburgh that go south to Hadrian's Wall and the castles of Northumberland (and to Lindesfarne, if you want to scratch the Viking itch). They're not terribly expensive either, I think (around £50 a person for a one-day tour), and they tend to have knowledgeable and entertaining guides.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2023, 10:40:20 AM »
Well, June should be a little warmer with less rain, but you pay your money and you take your chances with the weather here. That said, we don't really get the extreme weather events that so many other places have to endure.

Sparking off a few of the likes mentioned in your post. Stone Henge is in Wiltshire which is also the home of other ancient monuments e.g. Avebury stone circle. Silbury Hill is within spitting distance of that. As are a number of long barrows. There's also Westonburt, the national arboretum. Wiltshire's a fair size and sparsely populated county though. You'd probably need a car. You could also use that to explore The Cotswolds, for example.

Check out The National Trust who have lots of castles, gardens and buildings open to the public.

If distilleries aren't your thing, what about vineyards? English wine is booming and often pretty decent, IMO. Some do wine tours and/or offer accommodation e.g. Three Choirs in Newent, Gloucestershire.

With regards to shows, the big one's Salute in April. I assume that the UK Games Expo will be in June in Birmingham again. Many of the other big shows are later in the year.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2023, 10:56:39 AM »
Edinburgh has no shortage of castles. As well as the most famous one, perched in the centre of the city, there is Craigmillar Castle on the outskirts (get a taxi there and back). Tantallon has already been mentioned. Less spectacular in setting is Dirleton Castle, which is also in East Lothian, and my preference of the two. Direlton village is pretty and when I was last there the pub did excellent pub grub. To be fair it was pre-covid so not a recent review!

Stirling and it's castle is a train/ coach ride away and on the way to Bannockburn. If you have the time/ inclination the old gaol in Stirling is worth a visit and near the castle.

My "Places to visit on Hadrian's Wall" would include Housteads fort (take a walk along to the milecastle too), Vindolanda, The Roman Army Museum, Chesters Fort and bathhouse (with obligatory photos of your party perched on the Roman toilets) and Corstopitum (modern Corbridge). The Angel pub in Corbridge was a regular stop when my wife, kids and I made trips to see my sister and her family. There's a theme emerging here  :)

On the weather, an internet friend from Omaha came across in early June several years ago now and we met for coffee on The Royal Mile. After initial pleasantries he said,"I never understood why you Brits talked about the weather so much 'til I got here and discovered how much weather you get. It's not even midday and it's already been sunny, raining and snowing!!"
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2023, 05:20:28 PM »
So, weather is a "just deal with it" factor.   :)

On the small group tour - I was referring to a full tour package around the UK rather than a day trip, though tips on day trips are appreciated.  Such trips cost a lot more than the larger group tours but I'd rather spend more and have a better overall experience.  I loath the idea of a drive-by tour where if you are on the wrong side of the bus your primary view is the back of a fellow passengers head - ain't paying for that shit (those are 58-60 people tours versus 16 or fewer for small group)! 

Our anniversary is May 8th but the trip doesn't have to precisely match to the date.  It is just that the present to ourselves will be the Big Trip to the UK.  So far, the best tours I've seen seem to go counterclockwise from London.  That's workable for me.  London museums, gardens, library, and the 'traditional tourist' stops just to say we saw it.  Stonehenge, castles, gardens, bits of history and prehistory.  Sorry, no on the wine stuff - we live near one of the world's premier wine growing regions.  Drinking just isn't our thing - though at least one stop in a publican even if we are regaled as serious lightweights for not drinking!  lol 

I do hope we can see a bit of England, a nice bit of Wales, maybe a bit of Ireland, a good bit of Scotland, and then more of England. 

How about advice on using the train systems rather than paying for a tour package?  Keeping in mind that a prepaid tour (with trip insurance just in case) covers lodging, transportation, and a good bit of meals - and has prearranged optional side trips.  Not sure I want to do all of that booking ourselves but willing to consider it.

Appreciate all the input I can get as we start planning in earnest.  Even if we don't follow a particular bit of advice, it will still help us know how to make the best use of our experience.  So, thanks!

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2023, 05:58:30 PM »
Sorry, I’ve zero experience of organised tours of the U.K. Have you considered a British Isles cruise? It seems that one might tick many of your boxes and there’s sure to be plenty of shore excursion choices.

Sorry, no on the wine stuff - we live near one of the world's premier wine growing regions.  Drinking just isn't our thing…
Really, I thought you were in the US? ;)
Shame as it’s a significant part of the culture here.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »
"Really, I thought you were in the US? ;)".  Ha, ha, har.  ;D. Wine is a significant part of the culture here, too, just not our thing.

Apparently you are not familiar with the Napa wine region - winner of many (MANY) world prizes for wine.  Not that I would know a lot about it.  Too bad since I might be a super taster which meant if I liked wine I could have made lots of money!  I do believe there are certain French wine makers rather jealous of California's wine situation.  Sure, there is the low end "Two Buck Chuck" wine but other very high end wines.  If you are into wine and ever make it to California, you will want to include a day or three in the Napa Valley and just the general region - there are probably hundreds of thousands of acres of vineyards, certainly many, many tens of thousands of acres.  Oh, and for a really great dining experience, hop over to the the Sonoma area and head north to Rustic, the restaurant at Francis Ford Coppola's winery.  If you can and the weather is good, get a table outside.

As to cruises, not so much - maybe other parts of Europe but I don't think a UK tour would work for seeing stuff we'd want to see.

..okay, before hitting post I checked and there are almost 1,000,000 acres of wine grapes in California.  Only about half of what France has (and Spain and Italy).  Just have to remember that a large chunk of California has the same Mediterranean climate as do the wine growing regions in the Old World.  Why 150+ years ago a lot of folks with Mediterranean heritage started growing wine grapes.  Sadly, a big chunk of the early industry was wiped out by disease.  Going strong now, though.

Now, back to the joys of traveling!   o_o
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 06:46:31 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2023, 07:25:45 PM »
Honestly, (and at the risk of abuse from the hairy bunch north of the Wall) I’d say forget Edinburgh… as much as I love it as a city.

- Base yourself in London for the whole of your UK trip
- Day trip to Nottingham/Newark for your wargaming fix
- Day trip to York … it’s under 2 hours from London Kings Cross by train…unless you fly Edinburgh is a slog… if you REALLY wanted you could stay a night in York, and still be back in London before lunchtime the next day for more London touristy stuff.

York can offer you all of the “culture” you’ll get in Edinburgh, and more… and it’s doable in a day. York is older than Edinburgh…you’ve got the Romans, Vikings, City Walls, the Minster, the Shambles (v.Harry Potter), York Dungeons, the Ghost Tour, axe throwing…

Base yourself in a decent hotel in London, and you can do all the sightseeing while you are there, and spend less of your holiday checking in/checking out of hotels.

P.S. Lived in Newark, worked in Nottingham/Edinburgh/London, currently live just outside York and was a stones throw from the Tower of London today.   :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 07:33:20 PM by AKULA »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2023, 07:49:27 PM »
Honestly, (and at the risk of abuse from the hairy bunch north of the Wall) I’d say forget Edinburgh… as much as I love it as a city.

- Base yourself in London for the whole of your UK trip
- Day trip to Nottingham/Newark for your wargaming fix
- Day trip to York … it’s under 2 hours from London Kings Cross by train…unless you fly Edinburgh is a slog… if you REALLY wanted you could stay a night in York, and still be back in London before lunchtime the next day for more London touristy stuff.

York can offer you all of the “culture” you’ll get in Edinburgh, and more… and it’s doable in a day. York is older than Edinburgh…you’ve got the Romans, Vikings, City Walls, the Minster, the Shambles (v.Harry Potter), York Dungeons, the Ghost Tour, axe throwing…

Base yourself in a decent hotel in London, and you can do all the sightseeing while you are there, and spend less of your holiday checking in/checking out of hotels.

P.S. Lived in Newark, worked in Nottingham/Edinburgh/London, currently live just outside York and was a stones throw from the Tower of London today.   :D
How about advice on using the train systems rather than paying for a tour package?  Keeping in mind that a prepaid tour (with trip insurance just in case) covers lodging, transportation, and a good bit of meals - and has prearranged optional side trips.  Not sure I want to do all of that booking ourselves but willing to consider it.

I'm instinctively averse to organised tours (beyond the daytrip sort), so bear that in mind for what follows!

One thing to consider is that the UK is quite small, and the journeys are fairly short. So you might only need two or three 'bases' on the British mainland to see almost everything you want to see. And then you can plan things on the fly from there.

For example, you can quite easily visit Stonehenge as a daytrip from London (taking the train to Salisbury and back).

Edinburgh is just four or five hours on the train from London, and you can use it as a base to explore Northumberland (castles!), Glasgow (50 minutes on the train), the Lothians, the Borders and even the Highlands (there are minibus daytrips, though you could do longer excursions). You could also break the London-Edinburgh journey overnight in York or Newcastle.

So I'd recommend splitting most of the trip between London and Edinburgh and then exploring from there. Obviously, you'd need to shake that up if you wanted to spend much time in Wales and Ireland too, but you can do a huge amount in and from each of London and Edinburgh.