Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - Swords-for-Hire Update  (Read 8792 times)

Offline Mudyinsquall

• Bookworm
Re: Ronin - Bandit Buntai Update
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2023, 10:35:04 AM »
Lovely paint Jobs!

Grandmasters are terrifying but nothing a high rolling Teppo cant solve  ;)

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2023, 12:39:31 AM »
Lovely paint Jobs!

Grandmasters are terrifying but nothing a high rolling Teppo cant solve  ;)

Ha! yeah. In game 2, where the bandits won, I had two Gashiras (Rank 2) with teppos. In the last game, I moved those down to the Rank 1 Bandits. The bandits didn't shoot so well...

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2023, 02:16:09 PM »
Anyone have a better skin color than what I’m using for my bandits? It’s Vallejo Sunny Skintone but is maybe a bit more deeper yellow than I’d prefer.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2023, 09:14:27 PM »
I will admit that in one of our games Charlemagne's Grandmaster was taken down by my Bandit Gashira with teppo and the appropriate jitsu (but note that you still need a good dice roll - otherwise you either miss or just stun him, and it takes two turns standing still to reload a teppo).

Offline EnclavedMicrostate

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2023, 02:15:16 AM »
Anyone have a better skin color than what I’m using for my bandits? It’s Vallejo Sunny Skintone but is maybe a bit more deeper yellow than I’d prefer.

I use a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Flat Flesh and Dark Flesh, which also makes doing shading a little easier if I feel like doing it for character figures. On ones with a lot of exposed skin, I use Army Painter's Flesh Wash to save myself some trouble.

I will admit that in one of our games Charlemagne's Grandmaster was taken down by my Bandit Gashira with teppo and the appropriate jitsu (but note that you still need a good dice roll - otherwise you either miss or just stun him, and it takes two turns standing still to reload a teppo).

Are you sure it's two? Per my reading of the rules, it only takes one action to reload a teppo, but the model has to have stood still that turn. That being said we may have had different ways of counting turns of inaction.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2023, 05:30:32 PM »
Your right, one turn of inaction (I didn't have Ronin in front of me when I typed the reply).  That said, there is one turn after having fired that your Teppo holder is just standing there reloading (whereas the archer can fire every turn, or even twice a turn if willing to take the reduction in chances to hit - although unlikely to do damage to well-armored men).  And the odds for the Teppo man hitting increase if he is close to his target (which also increases the risk to him, if he misses, of a counterattack).

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2023, 08:22:15 PM »
Really nice! How did you paint the huts, they look almost bang on for the feudal recreations in the Hokkaido historic village!

Plus how did you do your skin tones, mine oriental skin tone currently makes me minis look like they have jaundice?

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2023, 08:38:44 PM »
Thanks!

For the buildings, I used skeleton horde contrast with a bleached bone dry brush. The walls were wyldwood contrast with sylvaneth bark drybrush.

For my skintone, I used vallejo Sunny Skintone with a light sepia contrast in parts. i'm not 100% happy with my skin here to be honest and have been considering repainting. it looks to... "golden" yellow, I guess? It's too rich and doesn't look natural. They look like yellow muppets to me. Oof. But, i might just leave them as is and try something else on the next buntai. i dunno. my opponent thought they looked good, but if you look at the last action shot on the other page...my bandits verse his sohei on the bridge... mine look too yellow.  :?

But that scenario happened later in the evening and the dining room overhead light was on and it has a slight warm golden tint to it, so maybe that didn't help?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 08:45:21 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Ronin - Koryu Buntai Update
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2024, 01:36:24 PM »
Finally got around to painting up my second buntai… The Koryu.

I don’t have the talent for ordinate robe designs, so opted for muted browns, greys, and blues as inspired by the 13 Assassins.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 01:40:34 PM by Mr. White »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2024, 10:32:00 PM »
Nice work.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2024, 11:13:55 PM »
They work well  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2024, 04:33:22 PM »
Thanks, both!
There area actually a few different shades of brown used. Kinda hard to tell in these photos. Either way, I like how the group of Koryu look amongst the Mountain Village buildings. I need to pick up some more of those this year.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2024, 05:34:56 PM »
I’ll be here  :)

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Ronin - Villagers and Ninja
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2024, 02:24:17 AM »

Above are eight Perry Miniatures villagers used for scenarios in Osprey’s Ronin. Despite my hesitation, I attempted an easy pattern on one of the lady’s yukata based on Charlemange's easy process posted a while back: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126805.msg1603891#msg1603891.

Even then, it didn’t come out great, but looks good enough on the table. As usual, looking at one of these posted photos…several fixable errors jump out at me. My next paint session is going to involve a little cleanup with this set. Still, they were easy to paint and fit my little village well. Easy enough I dove right into the next set...

Five Perry ninjas led by a Bac Ninh Shadow Warrior: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=142586.0. There's a scenario in Ronin where one side faces six ninja. Looking at the rules in that scenario, plus the Ronin point build guide author Craig Woodfield has shared, this group can also be run as its own, individual Buntai.

Village life is like a calm pond...until the Ninja skip in a stone of chaos!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 02:46:44 AM by Mr. White »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ronin - Villagers and Ninja Update
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2024, 09:00:14 AM »
Great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!