Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:47:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cactus  (Read 3245 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Cactus
« on: July 12, 2023, 11:19:21 AM »
As the club is getting into old west gaming I am working up some terrain starting with vegetation.  These are a mix of Pegasus Hobbies prickly pears and organ pipe cactus, plastic plant blue agaves, and wire covered in sand ocotillos.  The plastic adhering spray paint is chipping a bit on the plastic plants so I do not know how long they will last but overall I am happy with how these came out.  I am waiting for some grass tufts to arrive so have not done lesser vegetation yet.  Painted in thin washes of acrylics to build up the color.  There are a total of fourteen stands so there are more photos on my blog if you are interested.   I am particularly chuffed with the bases.  Having grown up in Southern Arizona, I can say I did too many blue agaves and too few ocotillos but I am pleased with the results. 

A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Re: Cactus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 02:32:16 PM »
They are excellent ( especially the variety). I’m desperately trying to find mass 15mm prickly pears (the Pegasus ones are a bit large) for Tunisia. There was an Etsy seller with printed ones by the sheet but I can’t seem to track them down.

Thank you for the inspiration and motivational kick!

Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 10:21:46 PM »
Lived in Tucson myself,you nailed it. The only thing missing is  those stupid ''JUMPING CHOLLAS''..I hated those things..LOL.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 11:51:39 PM »
Lived in Tucson myself,you nailed it. The only thing missing is  those stupid ''JUMPING CHOLLAS''..I hated those things..LOL.
Still haven't found a way to make those yet.  Been trying to work out a way to make them convincing.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 12:09:07 PM »
Looks great, I especially love the cracked dry mud.  :o

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 05:48:14 PM »

I still have bumps in various parts of my body from cholla...screw that nonsense.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 04:51:47 AM »
Fantastic brushwork! They're perfect! It's as if shrink rays were possible!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 06:02:37 AM »
Superb, the colours are just right  :o 8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 07:30:16 AM »
Looking good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2023, 08:59:00 AM »
Thank you for the kind words all. 
Looks great, I especially love the cracked dry mud.  :o
It is just a layer of Decoart Media Crackle Paste stabilized with thin superglue.  A jar of it is only around five pounds.

Offline Flodden1513

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 10:32:57 AM »
The plaudits are well deserved! These are tremendous, so natural and evocative.

I am starting on a pile of terrain for my own Apache, US and Mexican encounters and this is truly inspirational.

Have you seen the metal cactii that Bob Murch at Pulp Figures does? Very nice as are his vultures ( his Western/ Mexican Revolution range) or his ravens and rattlesnakes ( Flint and Feather woodland creatures). Ideal for more period feel. Woodland Scenics also do a Cactii “variety” set and I have ordered up a few.

One thing, just bought that crackle paint. Forgive the stupid question but can you explain what is meant by using diluted superglue as a stabiliser? I am keen to replicate the cracked mud look.

Scott

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 03:28:00 PM »
One thing, just bought that crackle paint. Forgive the stupid question but can you explain what is meant by using diluted superglue as a stabiliser? I am keen to replicate the cracked mud look.
Thank you for the nice words.  Crackle paint and paste shrinks as it sets up.  This can cause it to not stick to the surface quite as well as I like so I use the superglue after it has set up to keep it from flaking off.  I am also not thinning down the superglue but buying the cheapest stuff that I can find that is low viscosity.  Usually from one of the pound outlets (think dollar store).  When you test it out it should soak into sand like water.  If it puddles on the surface and does not soak in it is too thick. After I coat the surface I carefully blow any excess onto the rest of the base so I do not end up with any unnatural lumps on the surface. 

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 05:25:02 PM »
Epic Basing https://epicbasing.com/collections/desert-world-basing-bits does some really nice resin cacti. As another ex-Arizona resident, I like that they actually paid attention to what saguaro and organ pipes look like (a personal peeve with so many cast or homemade pipe cleaner models). Plus they have some decently big saguaros in the mix.

Their service was fast and the quality was good. Based in the US. The do offer free shipping but it does require a substantial order of basing bits.

Offline Flodden1513

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
Snitchydog,

Many thanks for the superglue glue tip. I am looking forward to using that crackle paint on some test pieces. Never yet found a way to replicate dried mud. This looks ideal.

Just took delivery of a pile of Pegasus cactii as well!

Scott

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2023, 05:35:56 PM »
Beneath a Lead Mountain,

Not sure if available but one of the plastic companies (Airfix, HaTT, etc.?) produced a set that works well for 15 mm.  I got mine (not yet table ready) from sale of stuff from a deceased wargamer.  Hunt around, you might still be able to find them.  Probably also find somewhere in the 3D printing world as you indicated.

Snitchy,

Very nice work.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 12:34:31 AM by FifteensAway »