Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pennants for Hollywood US Cavalry, help please  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Pennants for Hollywood US Cavalry, help please
« on: July 20, 2023, 08:42:18 AM »
Morning all, I'm dipping my toe back into the Old West with mounted and dismounted Hollywood Cavalry from Knuckleduster. I've had a look about and it all seems to be flags which seem a bit big or from the American Civil War so if you could point me to something in the right timeline so to speak a supplier I'd be mighty grateful. Many thanks in advance
JB

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
Re: Pennants for Hollywood US Cavalry, help please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 11:14:49 AM »
Not much help here sorry, but the civil war flags would be accurate for pretty much all but the apache wars. The classic red & white pennant only came in about 1880:81- of course after watching John Wayne any other flag seems wrong. Dont know where to find them though

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 11:27:51 AM »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 12:40:13 PM »
This is from one of my Ospreys on Little Big Horn so it looks like the Flags of War flag is fine.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 06:50:11 PM »
I’m just starting on those and am going with red and white rather than the historical Stars and Stripes but I’m going to paint mine by hand I think. You could try EBAY and see if anyone sells 28mm guidons there if all other manufacturers are coming up blank…

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 11:13:57 PM »
Flags of War are your best choice

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 06:30:31 AM »
Not much help here sorry, but the civil war flags would be accurate for pretty much all but the apache wars. The classic red & white pennant only came in about 1880:81- of course after watching John Wayne any other flag seems wrong. Dont know where to find them though
No actually that flag was superseded in 1862 by the stars and stripes version. Although...Hollywood always used the wrong one, so yes it would definitely work for Hollywood Cavalry. ;)
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 06:56:32 AM »
I plumped for 'Flags of War' guidons.
My cavalry wear dirty shirt blue and campaign under Captain Nathan Brittles in the Monument Valley!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 08:01:05 PM »
Cavalry guidons were established in 1834:

"1834 - General Regulations for the Army authorize a red-over-white guidon for companies of dragoons, of which there was a single regiment at the time. It was silk, 27 x 41 inches, with a 15 inch swallowtail, with the letters "U.S." in white on the upper half and the company letter in red on the lower."

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us%5Ecav.html#:~:text=1834%20%2D%20General%20Regulations%20for%20the,in%20red%20on%20the%20lower.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »
But as that link goes on to explain, the red/white guidons were replaced from 1862-1885 with the classic ‘Hollywood’ Stars and Stripes before being reinstated.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2023, 01:33:38 PM »
Many thanks one and all, I went with the Flags of War option so that should work nicely and I'm looking forward to getting them done. Other than watching She wore a Yellow Ribbon again I don't suppose anyone has an easy paint recipe please?

I plumped for 'Flags of War' guidons.
My cavalry wear dirty shirt blue and campaign under Captain Nathan Brittles in the Monument Valley!

:-*
Not Pic-nicking I hope Mr !? lol

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »
Many thanks one and all, I went with the Flags of War option so that should work nicely and I'm looking forward to getting them done. Other than watching She wore a Yellow Ribbon again I don't suppose anyone has an easy paint recipe please?
 Not Pic-nicking I hope Mr !? lol

Hopefully guitarheroandy will chime in again being a top painter who has painted up some Hollywood US Cavalry relatively recently.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2023, 10:24:44 PM »
Hopefully guitarheroandy will chime in again being a top painter who has painted up some Hollywood US Cavalry relatively recently.

Thanks for the shoutout Armchairgeneral! Am still working on the Knuckleduster range having had too much time away from painting for a house move and all the associated joys! It'll be a while, but probably using Foundry reds - scarlet I suspect, or maybe bright red as it's a bit softer. For the white I tend to use a cream rather than grey base and highlight up from there!

For the cavalry, Foundry union trouser Blue (I think thats its name). Foundry Union blue mid tone and highlight then deep blue light, I think as a top highlight. It's been a while - I'll have to double check... Can't recall which paints i used for the braces and hats. I'll do some digging around and report back. For neckerchiefs I used Foundry Ochre rather than golden yellow as the latter is murder when using dip or ink to shade it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 10:31:03 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 09:20:38 AM »
Right, I've searched back through my blog and found my 54mm US cavalry that I did (then stupidly sold due to no rules or opponents! Doh! I wish I'd kept them now I have both rules AND an opponent 100yds down the road!)

I use the 'dip and highlight' method whereby I use a mid-tone base coat, shade with AP Strong Tone dip (brushed sparingly on) then, after Dullcoting it to matte it down, highlight up with the original base coat and one or more highlight colours. So here is the recipe (interestingly I used Yellow, not ochre on these models and didn't have a snag with the dip and subsequent highlights...:

Shirts: Foundry Union Blue (midtone), highlighted with Union Blue light and Sky blue
Trousers: Foundry Union trouser (midtone), highlighted with basecoat colour and Union trouser light
Braces and gauntlets: GW Karak Stone highlighted with basecoat colour and GW Screaming skull
Hats: GW Baneblade brown, highlighted with basecoat colour and Karak stone. Hat bands were done with Foundry Ochre shade highlighted with Ochre light
Neckerchief and trouser stripes: Foundry yellow, highlighted with basecoat colour and yellow light
Boots and belts: GW Abaddon black, highlighted with Foundry Charcoal black and Charcoal black light;
Buckles: GW shining gold (base and highlight)
Gun barrels and scabbards: GW Boltgun metal (can't remember what it's called now but it's the darkest metallic they do) this was highlighted with GW Ironbreaker for sabre scabbards.
Sabre: GW Ironbreaker, highlighted with basecoat colour and GW Runefang Steel.

I shall be using this recipe on the Knuckleduster models. Looks very 'Hollywood' I think, although the shirts are perhaps a tad too 'blue' and need to be a bit more 'dusty'. Foundry Deep Blue might work, but again it's very 'blue'... Night Sky shade and midtone might work as might British Royal Blue (again, Foundry). Can't comment on Vallejo etc as I don't use them currently. I need to watch a couple of movies to get the requisite shades in my head again and as I'm not working today and it's hammering down with rain, that might be today's plan!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2023, 11:47:15 AM »
Airfix for the win! Those are lovely. :-* :-*

I do remember them being a step or two up from the Timpo swoppets and even the Britains ones but mine remained unpainted as a lad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 11:49:13 AM by carlos marighela »