Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:34:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: PSC's Battlegroup NORTHAG in 1/300  (Read 4031 times)

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
Re: PSC's Battlegroup NORTHAG in 1/300
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 01:35:51 PM »
Are there rules reasons for square, rectangular or round bases?

No, my 6mm chaps are based by section in extended line on a rectangular base. Never understood why size and shape of base in modern games makes any difference, of course one could go the hold hog and have multiple bases for each section, arrowhead, file, single file, extended line, extended line in open terrain, gun group right, gun group left!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 01:42:50 PM »
We used to regularly get bogged down a few turns into previous games, CA/CD got stuff done and in an enjoyable manner.  Of course by contrast we were also attempting to play the truy ghastly Empire and later on the equally mind bending Harpoon.
I remember a weekend Challenger 2 game based on the opening of Team Yankee (borrowed directly from the GDW board game of the same name).
We started at 1100 and completed the first round about 1500.

I think the next round only took a couple of hours.

By about 1900 the sole surviving T72 exited off the west side of the table pursued by the survivors of the US team.

It did make for an interesting start to the next game.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 01:47:48 PM »
Never understood why size and shape of base in modern games makes any difference...

Thanks.

Some rules use edge of base for range determination, so a 30mm base will be closer than a 20mm base at the same centres.

If bases have no effect, then maybe some Renedra round ones will look the part.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 03:18:38 PM »
To be honest I don't think it matters what size base you choose or even how many figures are on it. Notionally some armies have 4 man fireteams and others 5, but as long ad people know its just a representation that's OK. I have 4-5 figures on a 30 x 30mm base with. ATGW and HMG and command teams on 1p coins. I see Heroics and Ros will be at Colours. I recommend working our a list of what you want and leaving it for the owner to sort out whilst you look round the show.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 10:04:46 AM »
Thanks.

I probably need to find my existing 6mm armies to see what I have (and then I can add something to this... https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120304.msg1507749#msg1507749

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 11:34:16 AM »
The new H&R models are really nice. OK not as exquisite as GHQ but at less than 1/3 of the price they'll do for me. I think Colours is one of the few shows he attends, albeit I do see him on the list for Warfare in November.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2023, 04:31:13 PM »
I remember the days of Ultra-Modern.  Now it's ancient history.  :D

Totally agree about about H&R as well.  Lovely figures that do the job and I've had good service from them in the last few years.

Nice terrain too.  I liked the power station. 

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2023, 05:08:03 PM »
Hmmm, not managed to dig out my 'eighties models, so I have used the two PSC starter armies as the basis of a list (I will have a look at my BRT Digests as well).

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 06:45:57 PM »
I guess BRT is Bruce-Rea-Taylor.....a real blast from the past. From memory his stuff was pretty accurate. I'd still go 1/300 as I think (a) the ground scale looks better and (b) you can only find many of the nationalities/vehicles in 1/300. That said the Red3 Miniatures 10mm stuff is beautiful but far more expensive than 1/300. I'm now contemplating a Polish amphibious force as in the 1980s they were potentially tasked with Baltic Operations including vs the Danes. 

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2023, 10:20:54 PM »
Yes.

Definitely 1/300. It is going to be scary with four Chieftains and four FV432s facing off against ten T64 and ten BTR-60s.

I meant the description rather than the content of the starter sets.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:22:48 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 06:18:24 AM »
I guess you don't yet have the rules as the BAOR and GSFG lists/ORBATs are in there.  What you describe is about 320 points worth of Russkies vs 250 points worth of Brits.  After playing 2 games I'm unsure if  you need to give the attacker a points advantage, or if the "attacker disadvantage" is factored into the points cost of the Soviet companies plus their special "company level" order ability.  Happy to give you more ORBAT detail from NORTHAG to help your planning if you want it. 

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2023, 09:20:21 AM »
Thanks. No I have not got the rules yet.

I will get the "starter" forces above and the rules hopefully at Colours and see how it goes.

Somewhere there is a box of unpainted H&R (and Scotia and GHQ)  in addition to the painted US, Soviet and British armies.

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2023, 11:48:54 AM »
As Colours is coming up soon so NORTHAG could be a spontaneous purchase, how are infantry based?

I had been tempted to base them up on Renedra bases (I remember spending ages cutting up plastic card in two sizes for Challenger, then it changing to one size for Challenger 2).

Are there rules reasons for square, rectangular or round bases?

Thanks in advance.

What scale are you think of ?
My gaming group uses rectangular bases, 50mm x 25mm for a squad of 4 infantry figures.  Our scale is 1/144th  (10/12mm)
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

My Wargaming Blog:  http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2023, 09:16:17 AM »
Having just secured the NORTHAG and CENTAG books here in the Bazaar, I'm now looking into getting some forces other than my TY 15mm ones.

They're nice, but 15mm is a bit large to represent a reasonable battle on the table outside of very small skirmishes in this era and theatre.

So I'm now in the market for 6mm stuff. I was looking at GHQ, but they're rather dear and have only a very small selection of Dutch units. Heroics & Ros look to have a good selection, but the shop is rather lacking in pictures of their products.

But at that price point, I'm ok with a bit of a gamble. How is their service?

And are there any more suitable players?

I'm mostly looking for a decent Dutch force right now and some Polish or East-German opfor...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2023, 09:32:52 AM »
Having just secured the NORTHAG and CENTAG books here in the Bazaar, I'm now looking into getting some forces other than my TY 15mm ones.

They're nice, but 15mm is a bit large to represent a reasonable battle on the table outside of very small skirmishes in this era and theatre.

So I'm now in the market for 6mm stuff. I was looking at GHQ, but they're rather dear and have only a very small selection of Dutch units. Heroics & Ros look to have a good selection, but the shop is rather lacking in pictures of their products.

But at that price point, I'm ok with a bit of a gamble. How is their service?

And are there any more suitable players?

I'm mostly looking for a decent Dutch force right now and some Polish or East-German opfor...

Ros & Heroics made decent little models. They weren't anywhere near as detailed as GHQ or CinC but they were respectable enough when painted and they weren't the dross that was much of Navwar and all of Donnington/Irregular. I started with H&R and then gradually replaced them with GHQ as the budget allowed.

Scotia are a good second choice if you aren't going for GHQ.

Can't comment on customer service, they were all locally distributed back when I was still buying micro armour.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo