Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battlegroup NORTHAG - what to get for gaming in that time period?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor

Since this set of rules will be released somewhere next year, I've got enough time to prepare for gaming them. According to what I read on The Guild, the time period for gaming should be "80-83", so, what units should I get for my Soviets and US? I'm going for 15mm miniatures since it seems you can get enough plastic ones for my tastes.

Thanks in advance for any help from our resident Cold War experts!

Offline fraction

• Librarian
    • RvT Historical Miniature Painting & Gaming
Re: Battlegroup NORTHAG - what to get for gaming in that time period?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
For soviets you can grab more or less anything releases in relation to Team Yankee so far.

For US there are constant rumours of M60, M1 Abrams would have reached Europe in the small numbers available but not the Main MBT by numbers. Apart from that most stuff in plastic is usable.
Facebook site to share my brushwork: https://www.facebook.com/rvtpainting/

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

For soviets you can grab more or less anything releases in relation to Team Yankee so far.

OK, noted. I'll also look at Zvedza "Hot War" line of miniatures

For US there are constant rumours of M60, M1 Abrams would have reached Europe in the small numbers available but not the Main MBT by numbers. Apart from that most stuff in plastic is usable.

What should I look for then? M48A5? And M113s as APCs?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

OK, noted. I'll also look at Zvedza "Hot War" line of miniatures

What should I look for then? M48A5? And M113s as APCs?

For the Russians no T-72's, just T-64's and T-55's. BTR-60's and BMP-1's, BMP-2's only in small numbers.

M60 would still be the main MBT by then, M113's as APC's. M2 Bradley's were coming on line in 1981, M1 105's would be around in small numbers as Fraction mentioned.

For variation sake, Armies Army jsut released Canadians and Dutch. Slightly different kettles of fish compared to the standard USA vs USSR
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
For the Russians no T-72's, just T-64's and T-55's. BTR-60's and BMP-1's, BMP-2's only in small numbers.

M60 would still be the main MBT by then, M113's as APC's. M2 Bradley's were coming on line in 1981, M1 105's would be around in small numbers as Fraction mentioned.

For variation sake, Armies Army jsut released Canadians and Dutch. Slightly different kettles of fish compared to the standard USA vs USSR

Thanks! And I see that there's a Spanish company planning on releasing some Spanish troops, I'll check them out and your recommendations also.

Offline fraction

• Librarian
    • RvT Historical Miniature Painting & Gaming
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »
For the Russians no T-72's, just T-64's and T-55's. BTR-60's and BMP-1's, BMP-2's only in small numbers

Its Always a questions what Kind of unit Souls Like to represent. For GSFS the hint with the T-72 is fine, but These Had No T-55 anymore either. Just the east germans... T-62M and T-80 for GSFS too.

I was taking Just about the General use of the available plastic kits. Zvezda wasnt on my mind then.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
Agree with fraction,

no more T-55s in Soviet Unit in Germany in this period. in the time frame the bulk of the Tank regiments of Tank divisions and MRD had T-64, with T-80 were appearing (slowly, due to problems with the turbine engine) in Southern Germany first (and it would be CENTAG not NORTHAG).  Some Motor Regiments still had the T-62 especially in the CENTAG area as some Tank Regiments there.

also be careful if you want to NORTHAG there was just a single US Brigade there (2nd brigade 2nd Armored Division) but 3rd Corps was assigned to NORTHAG in wartime (with REFORGER sites coming into line in the 80s). Very few M1s, the 1st Armored Division was the fir to get them in 1983, tohether with the 11th ACR. the 11th ACR was full M1 and M113 (not having received M3 yet). M2 coming very late mainly from 84 onward.

T-72 coming into line with DDR (NVA) and Polish Army, these had also still T-55 as main tank. Adds some variations.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Thanks Arrigo!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
Yep, lots of T-55s for the East Germans and Poles.

A major staple for their Naval Landing forces too, which is a bonus.  Some were converting, or had converted to T-72s for that too, IIRC, but there were issues with weight on some craft, not to mention cost issues for the various nations.