Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PSC's Battlegroup NORTHAG in 1/300  (Read 4029 times)

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: PSC's Battlegroup NORTHAG in 1/300
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »
Daeothar, 6mm is a good call for use with BG NORTHAG. I use 15mm for small-scale games such as "Seven Days to the River Rhine", but opted for 6mm with larger-scale NORTHAG battles. If starting again I might have gone 10mm for SDttRR. However 10mm vehicles are circa 4 times the price of 6mm!

All my 6mm moderns are H&R. They aren't as well detailed as GHQ but are about 1/3 of the price and his latest vehicles are very nice. I have British, East German and Danish.  I've never had a problem ordering from him, albeit I have always pre-ordered and collected at a show. 

If you want some 1980s "German" buildings I'd look at the Timecast range. Very nice and not badly priced.   

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2023, 12:56:02 PM »
Cheers guys :)

This is a completely new scale for me, so terrain will have to follow as well, but I'm actually kind of stoked to get to it (as if I need another scale and setting ::) ): I've been toying with the idea since the early nineties.

I'll throw an order at H&R at the start of the new year...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 01:18:49 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »
Ros & Heroics made decent little models. They weren't anywhere near as detailed as GHQ or CinC but they were respectable enough when painted and they weren't the dross that was much of Navwar and all of Donnington/Irregular. I started with H&R and then gradually replaced them with GHQ as the budget allowed.

Scotia are a good second choice if you aren't going for GHQ.

Can't comment on customer service, they were all locally distributed back when I was still buying micro armour.
I agree (though I only had H&R, GHQ and Scotia - the latter supplying the US https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)#9th_Infantry_Division_(Motorized) kit).
I bought GHQ from Virgin Games and the other two by sending bits of compressed vegetable matter by Snail Mail, so my customer service knowledge is 30 years out of date

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2023, 06:41:43 PM »
Having just secured the NORTHAG and CENTAG books here in the Bazaar, I'm now looking into getting some forces other than my TY 15mm ones.

They're nice, but 15mm is a bit large to represent a reasonable battle on the table outside of very small skirmishes in this era and theatre.

So I'm now in the market for 6mm stuff. I was looking at GHQ, but they're rather dear and have only a very small selection of Dutch units. Heroics & Ros look to have a good selection, but the shop is rather lacking in pictures of their products.

But at that price point, I'm ok with a bit of a gamble. How is their service?

And are there any more suitable players?

I'm mostly looking for a decent Dutch force right now and some Polish or East-German opfor...

Have you considered 10/12mm ?  There are quite a few manufacturers out there, Minifigs, Butlers, Red 3, Timecast, Pendraken and of course PSC. 
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

My Wargaming Blog:  http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2023, 09:44:53 PM »
Vulture, some of the 10mm stuff is very nice but the vehicles are 3-4 times the price of H&R 6mm.  If you are planning large-scale NORTHAG games that is quite a ££ investment. In some ways I wish I'd gone 10mm instead of 15mm for my Seven Days to the River Rhine project. 

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2023, 06:07:15 PM »
You make a very good point.
A Pendraken T64A is £3.50, a Chieftain £4.50.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2023, 06:22:13 PM »
As opposed to H&R whose MBTs are generically 85p each! One minor issue with H&R is that when I bought mine a few years ago there were a mix of "old sculpts" and "new". The former were OK-ish but rather dated. The new ones are very nice, if not at GHQ standard . You could tell which were which as the new ones cost 10p more. Today all are the same price. What I don't know is if all the codes have been re-sculpted.

I can still see a position in the market for both scales. IMHO if anything 10mm will replace 15mm due to the sheer size of modern tanks even in 15mm.     

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2023, 04:44:18 PM »
As opposed to H&R whose MBTs are generically 85p each! One minor issue with H&R is that when I bought mine a few years ago there were a mix of "old sculpts" and "new". The former were OK-ish but rather dated. The new ones are very nice, if not at GHQ standard . You could tell which were which as the new ones cost 10p more. Today all are the same price. What I don't know is if all the codes have been re-sculpted.

I can still see a position in the market for both scales. IMHO if anything 10mm will replace 15mm due to the sheer size of modern tanks even in 15mm.     

I still have buried up in my loft multiple armies in 1/300th, but with increasing age comes increasingly poor sight LOL, and from that point of view 10mm is a better scale to work and game with.  As pointed out in an earlier posting, not a cheap scale though...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 04:57:25 PM by Vulture »

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2023, 06:35:08 PM »
Vulture, understand. However the detail on 10mm is now so good that they take a lot of painting to do them justice