Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which rules for <2000 Moderns  (Read 1766 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Which rules for <2000 Moderns
« on: September 03, 2023, 09:43:03 AM »
Ok, I've not been on the Boards for a while, and mindful of the Pinned Post, which rules are you using?

I'm looking at 1980s African theatre for a typical evenings club game.

I have Force on Force/Bush Wars and Black Ops. FoF always felt daunting to get into and not tried them. I've played a few solo games of Black Ops and I thought they were fine. Am I missing a trick with another set of rules?

Like most of you, I flit between gaming systems and have too many projects to keep to one set of rules for too long. So it's getting the right balance, for me, of being not overly complicated but atmospheric.

Thanks.

Edit: to be clear, I'm wanting a maximum of a Platoon sized game.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:06:43 AM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Which rules for <2000 Moderns
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 04:32:10 PM »
Spector, Ultra Combat and skirmish Sangin. Empress also has there one page moderns rules. In country also just came out. I'll post more as I remember them.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 04:44:13 PM »
So, based on the rules you mention, I assume you are talking skirmish level, say 10 to 50 troops per side. There is an earlier version of Force on Force called Ambush Alley. PM me if you can't find them. I like them as they are they are smaller, better laid out and less stuff. If you can live at very small I like Battlespace which is limited to 4 troopers on the player's side with the opponents run by a card driven AI. I also play it coop with each player controlling a pair of troopers. I have been working on additional forces based on an African imagination for it. There is another set of rules called Stargrunt II which has a similar feel (variable size dice representing variable troop quality) to Ambush Alley and Force on Force. But while AA has a limit of 10 dice per roll and FoF has no limit Stargrunt works with no more than 2 to 5 dice. I like that and some aspects which give value to leaders that it incorporates. However, it is limited, hasn't the depth of FoF (so much background as well as just stuff(ing)) so would require some work/imagination to detail out. That is the direction I am going so could be of help there.

I looked at Spectre Ops and it had some "issues" and Skirmish Sangin in kinda thick (not quite the lifestyle choice of ASL). Personally I will be revisiting Spectre Ops and Black Ops to see if they would be useable for scenarios where I only want to run a few "characters" in a more intense scenario. Basically for spook scenarios within the game world.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 04:58:28 PM »
I would put in a good word for the Fistful of Lead stable of rules.  Between their core rules (with their Galactic Heroes for vehicle rules), and their Bigger Battle rules, you can do anything modern from a few figures per side, up to platoon+ level...we've even done some smaller company-level fights with them.  You can look at my Vietnam Stuff and Modern Stuff threads on this board to get some idea on how they work - I set my modern engagements in the late 80s/early 90s, and Vietnam stuff is set in, well, Vietnam...... :D
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 05:31:47 PM »
Thanks All

@Madman - incoming re Ambush Alley

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 06:09:06 PM »

At the risk of being immodest, I run modern games using my Wars of Insurgency. They are easy-to-learn (and teach), move quickly, and adaptable to what you want. Each player typically commands 3-5 squads which can be anything from one vehicle to a dozen miniatures.

LOTS of battle reports linked on the First Command Wargames website:
http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/wars-of-insurgency.html

Mike Demana

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 06:52:58 PM »
Don't be modest on on my account Mike. I'll check it out, thanks.

Edit: ok, bought those rules. Thanks for the heads up. I do enjoy new rules for figures I have.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 09:27:31 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 12:19:14 PM »
Depends on the scale of the scenario, but as a general rule:
  • Squad level - Skirmish Sangin
  • Platoon level - Force on Force
  • Company level - Fistful of TOWs (1 stand = 1 squad/vehicle)
  • Battalion level+ - Fistful of TOWs (1 stand = 1 platoon/troop)

You can probably tell from that list that I like my rules crunchy  ;) But don't be put off by FoF; it's a cracking system once you get your head around the reaction system. I keep meaning to pick up the new version of Ambush Alley which is in open draft currently, but until I do, FoF continues to serve me well!  :D

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 01:09:00 PM »
Hi. Sorry, I should have made my OP more clear - I am looking at a maximum of a Platoon sized game.

FoF is where my attention is particularly. I just need to knuckle down and work through a small game or two to get the basics straight.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 07:34:55 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 02:23:56 PM »
I’m sure we are all in the same boat when it comes to the rules for modern warfare.
We want realistic, but fun. (And easy to learn)
I have most of those rules sets that have been mentioned here, but which one to use ?
I keep putting off the question, by turning to the figures and painting them, instead of playing with them.
Flatpack

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 05:40:44 PM »
Edit: ok, bought those rules. Thanks for the heads up. I do enjoy new rules for figures I have.

Thanks for the purchase! Feel free to email with any questions. If you're on Facebook, check out the battle reports from the Nunawading Wargames Association, an enthusiastic group in Australia who play the rules:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/153570371359484

Hope you enjoy them, and look forward to seeing AARs from your battles!

Mike Demana

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 07:05:07 AM »
I would still recommend Force on Force for platoon level.

They are not that hard to grasp.

Cheers
Matt

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 10:08:00 AM »
Agreed. I have revisited the FoF book. There's an excellent example scenario of an Asymmetrical mission where a partial Marine Squad are trying to extract two Contractors.

The Insurgents are all Irregulars and have automatic reinforcements.

This is exactly the type and size of game I'm looking at initially. I have twice as many USMC figures (as the scenario requires - so less than a full Platoon but with vehicular/Heavy support) but am limited to 30/40 Insurgents depending on the theatre of war. I have African Militia and Middle East type insurgent figures.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:38:24 AM by H.M.Stanley »