Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSMALL2023 FreakyFenton A still still?!  (Read 4703 times)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: BSMALL2023 FreakyFenton A still still?!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2023, 01:51:01 PM »
Likker in the sketch of course is liquor, but I picked up on some appalachian slang while watching this documentary about Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton and J.B. Raider, both appalachian moonshiners. It is a bit odd to watch at first, but has some interesting bits.

Clip by PBS about "Popcorn" or Mister Sutton.

And then the movie "This is the Last Dam Run of Likker I'll Ever Make".

"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 02:59:17 PM »
Hey LAF!

Here are some new in progress shots. In the meantime I also abandoned the idea of using plasticard as a base and instead used some mdf board.

This proved a good idea as it was much nicer to work with and less flimsy. I then started to make a small ring from styrofoam bricks to start on the still and after a few layers had an idea of using a plastic egg to create the boiler. At first I thought of using an aluminium takeout container and bend that to shape, but that would'Ve probably been harder to paint and work with and the plastic Easter Egg proved sturdier.

I also began to add some small details. I am not too sure if I should name anything else, and will probably send Vanvlak a pm regarding what I can share. In the meantime. Here are some images for you of the new build.

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 03:03:24 PM »
This is looking very promising from the layout.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 03:31:18 PM »
Thank you, snitcythedog! I did get a reply from Vanvlak, barely posted and I already had a great answer. So I figured I'd post this picture along.
Basically just a pre-primed plastic Easter Egg from a seasonal stand at 'Kaufland' here in Germany or 'Metro', which if freed from the pointy end makes for an easy to detail boiler-like looking bit.

I did mean to use these eggs for another project in which orcs lug away a dragon's egg or a cart full of them, but I suppose I can thank that thought for now giving me a bit to use for the boiler.  lol

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 07:13:10 PM »
That's a very unique terrain idea- perfect for games like Pulp Alley or The Chicago Way or even the old west.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2023, 09:04:03 PM »
Okay, made a bit more progress during the evening. Mainly having a few ideas for more set dressing.

These include a spitoon for chewing tobacco which will be weathered accordingly and probably painted in brass.

A bench for the workers, along with a small shack. Seeing as moonshiners weren't fearing the police but rather the Customs officers, this scene might well be in some backyard of a factory or abandoned industrial complex.

A bench for the sacks of grain or whatever other material to make the mash. These are also protected by a small wall made from corrugated card and some toothpicks. Resting on some heavy slabs, maybe as a means to protect the fancier bench from rotting, whereas the other items are of a makeshift nature.

A cocktail umbrella?! Yeah, figured I could use one I had lying about. I also used the pink plastic band as a belt of some worker which is draped over the right part of the bench.

A small pot made to hold the parasol, which I'll fill with some small gravel or sand. Something often used if the ground is too hard or paved over to accept the gentle poke of a parasol stake.

And finally the yoke, which got painted with superglue to make the balsa wood sturdier.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »
I like how haphazard and rustic it's all looking, very fitting.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2023, 05:38:41 AM »
Thank you, Lost Egg!

Putting up another picture as I meant to continue work on the still itself rather than the surroundings thereof.

Toward the end of this video there's a small explanation of what bit does what that also helped me in figuring out what parts are needed. I realized I am a proofing barrel short and have to build that to make the scene believeable.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 09:40:51 PM by FreakyFenton »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 05:01:39 PM »
Sad news!

I do think I'll omit one item I previously promised, namely, the Schott'sche Karre. A handcart/ lifting cart predecessor maybe an odd cousin to the wheelbarrow. I did look for a few images.
At first I was thinking about the size of said cart in terms of say a handcart or wheelbarrow. As it turns out. They are huge! Anyway, to not deprive anyone of the image, here are some choice cart images. Probably making some as seperate pieces as scatter terrain later.  >:D

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 05:39:35 PM »
Looking better and better.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2023, 01:13:41 PM »
Thank you, snitcythedog! Hope to be done this Sunday and then give it the coat of primer.

Small update toward some of the scatter on the terrain itself. Finally got to add the source of the heat, used a metal offcut from a scultping tool.

As said, the buckets are from McDonald's straws and fine florist wire. Later filled with a bit of styrofoam that is coated on one side to allow to fill the buckets with either clear resin or some other material.

I've also added a small hammer made from a toothpick and a sprue offcut filed to look suitably like a sledgehammer for driving in the wooden posts that hold the corrugated card.

I've procured a bit for the still that I'll add later tonight and then hope to finish the last bit of the brickwork before I'll go over to add the pipes and the like.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »
Sad news!

I do think I'll omit one item I previously promised, namely, the Schott'sche Karre. A handcart/ lifting cart predecessor maybe an odd cousin to the wheelbarrow. I did look for a few images.
At first I was thinking about the size of said cart in terms of say a handcart or wheelbarrow. As it turns out. They are huge! Anyway, to not deprive anyone of the image, here are some choice cart images. Probably making some as seperate pieces as scatter terrain later.  >:D/quote]

I was thinking of making one of those before working on a 'Fall of Troy' project, but I think that would be...
putting the cart before the horse.  lol lol lol

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2023, 01:26:20 PM »
Sad news!

At first I was thinking about the size of said cart in terms of say a handcart or wheelbarrow. As it turns out. They are huge! Anyway, to not deprive anyone of the image, here are some choice cart images. Probably making some as seperate pieces as scatter terrain later.  >:D/quote]

I was thinking of making one of those before working on a 'Fall of Troy' project, but I think that would be...
putting the cart before the horse.  lol lol lol

You'll stirrup trouble if you neglect the horse for a cart.   lol

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2023, 04:57:39 PM »
Some slight restructuring as I figured the pile of bricks would obstruct folks from collecting the shine. Also set the barrel in place and used some rubberized florist wire to make a start on the pipes. These will probably receive some detailing, with metal foil from a takeout container. I will then coat the foam bits with a layer of woodglue and prime everything. I hope to get it painted in time for the deadline.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2023, 07:42:28 PM »
Looking good though I think it'll really come alive with some paint.