Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:30:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What do you use for your wargames table?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: What do you use for your wargames table?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2023, 11:19:45 AM »
I bought one of these (with a double-sided mat) during lockdown. It's more than earned its keep - we've used it for both indoor and outdoor games, and for RPGs as well as wargames. It's very light and doesn't take up a great deal of space when it's folded up. And it allows us to set up a game wherever suits - it's no trouble to carry over to our gaming neighbours' place, for example.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2023, 06:41:35 PM »
Well all these examples have shown me what I actually need is a bigger room... I am not sure how rearranging the house would go down, though  lol

Love the 6x4 folding table, exactly the type of solution, except space for moving around it would be minimal. Still think a 4x4 with mdf or something to extend it to 5x4 might be the best bet for now. Fortunately I mostly do 15mm, and maybe down to 10mm, so fingers crossed it works out. Any gaming space better than none, at any rate!

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2023, 04:37:02 PM »
Tell me more; what sort of games do you play?

It was mainly used for Hott, which we played a lot back in the day. Also had some good games of MDRG/SOBH and Battlesworn using 25mm mins and loads of terrain.

It's been a long time since I played, but I'm very slowly getting back into it and considering using the board with Space Weirdo's or Planet28.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2023, 05:18:33 PM »
Nice one! Skirmishing on tiny tables is what I'm all about.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2023, 11:11:54 PM »
Life's circumstances have meant that I'm currently living with my in-laws*, so space is very much at a premium. My gaming area is a bit of desk space not taken up by computer or shelves, so I'm very that I went down the micro skirmish game route back when Mrs Doodler and I had our own rented place.

These are my 15mm and 6mm gaming 'boards':

With ease of storage a key feature:

* We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground...

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2023, 02:25:06 AM »
Hi
If you have the room , I use 2 x Professional Table Tennis tables .
These are very stable , and good ones are actually 2 Tables pushed together, and they fold away if needed . .
Therefore my standard table is 15ft x 5 Feet , expandable out to 18x 5 .. but I hardly even use this size .
Secondly this is often expanded out by purchasing 1800mm x 900mm (6 x 3 ) boards which you can layover the top of the table .
Thus enabling play on a 15 x 6 size . lol lol lol lol
Cheers

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2023, 07:20:51 AM »
I use three small aluminium pasting tables with extendable legs.

Each is around 600mm x 1000mm, together I lay MDF on to get a 6x4.

So this is not a permanent set up.

THe extendable legs are great. I can get the table height to 37”, ten if I rest the table on a couple of skids (I use square down pipes from guttering systems) I get the height to 40” SUPERB for anyone with a bad back as there is much less bending into the table middle.

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2023, 03:28:31 PM »
Love this thread - so many awesome ideas in answer to the OP. During a recent reno, I opted for Ikea Enhet base units (from their kitchen storage line) to provide open storage beneath a custom made, one-piece wooden table top. I have lots of rectangular space, so the table was made at 10 ft x 4 ft, with six Enhet underneath. That spacing allows stools on either side of the table that can be tucked away when not in use, and plenty of under-table storage for terrain etc.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2023, 09:58:14 AM »
I use 4' x 2' folding tables from The Folding Table company in the UK.  I bought 6 of them.

They can be configured as 4' x 4' with 2 tables, 6' x 4' with 3 tables. 8'x 4' with 4 tables and 8' x 6'with all 6 tables.

I also have 6 x 5' x 2' pieces of 9mm MDF and could set up a 12' x 5' table (just in the space) but usually only use a 6' x 5'  or 8' x 5' (also my wife has "nicked" 2 of the tables to use...).

The tables and MDf pieces go against the wall in the next door study when not in use.

This gives the flexibility to take down all the tables and use the games room for something else - we have had band rehearsals in it and a large New Years dinner.

The tables have the slight disadvantage, like all folding tables, that the ends are harder to sit at as you can't put your legs under the ends but they work well.

6' x 5' combination set up:

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk