Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697760
  • Total Topics: 118859
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Waterways Partisans -  (Read 11698 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
British Waterways Partisans -
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »
As I'm now feeling better and even managed to leave the house yesterday, I figured I should try and do a build.

First up on the aggenda is an armoured narrowboat. The idea behind it is aimed at one of the current VSF campaigns where the dastardly Prussians have invaded Blighty. I want to do some irregular troops and as Svenn has just built Thunderchicken some canal pieces for the board, it made sense for an irregular force based on the waterways. While not providing great manueverability, the canals do provide access to all the major cities, and often remaining out of sight. Besides, the locals can be fiesty :D

By the by, this idea would probably work well in the 1937 British civil war game too.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: British Waterways Partisans -
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
Edit - pictures fixed

So, first up was to draw the plans and work out sizes. I actually did this a week or so ago but then fell ill :(
The design is essentially a 1/56 scale 45' narrowboat, although the actual working areas have been fudged to allow a figure on a base at either end and the overall width has been budged out a few mm for the same reasons.

The original idea was to make the base etc in wood but this is also a prototype for a larger build concept later so I decided to try using pink foam for the lower hull. I had spare lying around and if I made it in wood I'd be tempted to spend longer on it and time is a little short.

So I transfered the plans onto the foam by the simple method of sticking pins through the paper at relevant positions :) and hacked the foam roughly to shape.

I then cut it down further to get the hull height etc.

It worked but I've decided it's not good enough. I intend to clad the exterior with plasticard and although the variation in hieght etc across the surface is only 1-2mm, it'll make it difficult to get everything right. Besides, I have the lower hull at 13mm high and I've just discovered I have some 14mm balsa upstairs. I think I'm just going to use that :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:55:06 AM by Dewbakuk »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »
Funnily enough I have a couple of wooden ones (ornaments) for just such an activity, I have some Lewis guns and Brens etc to add. Certainly a great idea Dewback :D

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12108.0

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
Very interesting project - don't think I've ever seen an armoured canal boat before.  I look forward to more!

I suspect it'll end up looking a lot like a normal canal boat but with more rivets :D Plus the gun on the front of course!

Funnily enough I have a couple of wooden ones (ornaments) for just such an activity, I have some Lewis guns and Brens etc to add. Certainly a great idea Dewback :D

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12108.0

Thanks, and that's a fine looking canal boat in that pic. Needs waterlining of course :P

Would work well for another purpose though. Don't suppose you got it from an online dealer did you?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »
I did indeed get it from an online retailer, will dig out the link when back at home, they have a couple of variations too. Only problem is tha tthey are solid wood so not as good as yours which would allow troops to be loaded into the hold

I did toy with water lining it but decided against it as I am not the best with wood working tools ;D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
Excellent cheers. Is yours the 8" or 15" version?

I'm thinking for this boat to do it enclosed. The roof area has enough space for figures to stand on it safely and one can be stood at the front and one at the back, although the back is likely to be covered too. The front will have a machine gun mounting, so won't take a figure there either due to one already being there. The dimensions have been done to allow it in another version though.

I'd have allowed figs to be placed inside but it just can't be done and keep everything in scale with it waterlined. In a canalboat your legs are underwater when you're walking around inside. What I may do however is do an open topped version with armour plating along the sides and space to place figures inside.

The follow up step for the narrow boat will be to give it 'outfloaters' in the form of one man puntgunners.

For anyone who doesn't know, the punt gun is essentially an enormous shotgun. It was used to shoot entire flocks of birds! The idea was you float out onto the lake and keeping very low, paddle out amongst the reeds and sneak up on a flock or two then open fire. Awards were based on the different variety of birds bagged in one shot.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
I like the idea of the canal boat.
But the "outfloaters" can't be real you are having a laugh :o

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
Great idea, I can see us having some fun "messing about on the river" :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »

Or, you know, build this....

Way of a motivational poster for the office, mate!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:57:30 AM by Hammers »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 02:36:55 PM »
I bought the 8 inch one and the 17" Vulcan

In Hindsight the 8" is better as it is much more in scale whilst the 17" is good it does stand quite proud of the waterline.

You will need to remove the tiller etc as they are way out of scale and the detail like doors etc are painted on.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »
Great stuff indeed. Those punt guns are bloody outrageous! Cant wait to see this finished.  :)
Don't!

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »
I forsee a fun timed scenario trying to get that thing through a canal lock before the bad guys bring up reinforcements!

All good, but I'm a bit worried about your force's morale. I mean, half the fun of canals is stopping off at all those great pubs along the way. You definitely need rules for drunkenly falling into the water after a few ales..

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
Surely that's a boost to morale?  ;)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
They have a some punt guns in the Royal Armouries in Leeds, they are odd looking to say the least.  :D

Keith  :?