Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tudor Arte of Warre Volume 2 Book review  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Tudor Arte of Warre Volume 2 Book review
« on: September 21, 2023, 08:55:10 PM »
Latest blog post, a quick book review for the Tudor Arte of Warre volume 2 here:

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2023/09/tudor-arte-of-warre-volume-2.html

+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tudor Arte of Warre Volume 2 Book review
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 06:29:29 AM »
Interesting & thanks for posting.
My Wargames room is coming back to what I laughingly call 'Normal' &
after just one more project for a friend I hope to enter the world of
Elizabethan Ireland. (Man plans, God laughs.) ;)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 06:52:11 AM »
Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 04:19:06 PM »
Interesting review.  Being more into the Early Henrician period, I am - almost inevitably - very disappointed with books on "Tudor Warfare" as they (a) never seem to really cover my period of interest (the invasion of France/Flodden campaigns), and (b) always focus much more - and with far more references - on the later era and especially Elizabeth.  As such, I bought Volume 1 more in hope than expectation and was not planning on bothering with Volumes 2 and 3.  However, your review may have persuaded me to change my mind.....

As regards a possible landing by the Armada forces, something that is often overlooked (and I would be interested to know if this volume considers it) is that the Spanish embarked very little cavalry, and that all ginettes-type light horse.  I can't help wondering what may have happened to any Spanish force landed in, say, Kent, if it's recce/scouting(/looting!) capability had been totally destroyed by a demi-lancer/reiver combo, leaving the infantry unable to "see" beyond the ground they physically occupied.  And of course, once deprived of its scouting/foraging arm, how far from the coast could the infantry have advanced with nobody to protect their logistics?  Did the Armada land commanders perhaps think that the "weak and feeble woman" in charge would just have given up once they landed?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 01:04:29 PM »
Thanks Baron, the volume certainly covers a potential Spanish invasion under the chapter "The Battle of Richmond Park" the lack of cavalry is considered, mainly as an issue around foraging when always outnumbered by English light horse, this added to a poor logistics train and lack of carts and wagons, made much worse bya  scorched earth policy, leads to an inevitable Spanish withdrawal when they cant complete a full on military victory. The Armada potentially refuse to release the infantry from their ships as they need them to fight the threat of the English fleet, Parma is under manned so even with veterans is not really ina  stong enough position to win as he loses men storming Canterbury, Tillbury and Rochester, then many more from disease and poor food. an interesting read for sure, hoping to get volume 3 at Partizan if its out.

has.been not sure where you are geographically but I have an Elizabethan Ireland game at the Partizan show in a fortnight.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 09:12:19 PM »
I have an Elizabethan Ireland game at the Partizan show in a fortnight.

Ooooh ! I must have a shufti at that.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 11:35:39 AM »
Roger,

I'm really sorry that I have to miss Partizan for the first time in several years due to health issues.  Will we see your game at other shows in the southern half of England next "campaign season"?

BvW

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 04:38:07 PM »
..... I have an Elizabethan Ireland game at the Partizan show in a fortnight.

I will look out for that and say hello.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 06:14:07 PM »
Please pop by Emir and has.been. Baron, no plans to do any other shows I am afraid, Partizan is the only one we regularly put on a game for.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 02:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Having an interest in the Elizabethan period in particular, I just ordered the book (it was heavily discounted on Amazon, and there were only 5 copies left there).

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 03:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Having an interest in the Elizabethan period in particular, I just ordered the book (it was heavily discounted on Amazon, and there were only 5 copies left there).

Thanks for the 'heads up', I've ordered my copy. Now just two left. :D

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 02:41:25 PM »
Baron, no plans to do any other shows I am afraid, Partizan is the only one we regularly put on a game for.

I shall get the Perrys to take a break from their Franco-Prussian game and do a quick photo-recce (a wee bit anachronistic - perhaps sketch some preliminary drawings!).

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 05:36:02 PM »
I shall of course get lots of pictures for the blog but look forward to saying hello to Michael and Alan if they pop over.