Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:05:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old range from Stone Mountain Miniatures in 25 mm? Photos added  (Read 1834 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Old range from Stone Mountain Miniatures in 25 mm? Photos added
« on: September 24, 2023, 01:33:30 AM »
Found some Old West miniatures today at a swap meet that are marked as from Stone Mountain Miniatures, one set was The Saloon with Miss Kitty and Doc Kelly, etc.  Four figures per pack.  Lead Free Pewter.  Can anyone shed any light on the range, when it was available, etc.?  And if, maybe, someone still has the range - I don't see it on the Stone Mountain Miniatures page now.  They look to be 25 mm, maybe a bit on the smaller side, not over-thin figures.

I sent a message to Stone Mountain Miniatures but thought I'd reach out here, too. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 01:55:23 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline dgrosso

• Assistant
Re: Old range from Stone Mountain Miniatures in 25 mm?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 06:11:24 AM »
These things are long OOP, sadly. I have a few of the figures myself, including some apaches and mounted cowboys, as well as gunslingers. There were some hollywood western figs in the range IIRC. They were advertised in old issues of MWAN as well. They are chunky and robust figures, with simple detail, very easy to paint up. I do not know what happened to the masters or molds.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 01:08:31 PM »
Some of the 15mm seem to be available. Might be worth contacting them?

http://www.wargamingminiatures.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 02:19:46 PM »
I have a Large Mountain of 15 mm Old West/Pony Wars miniatures already.  I am trying to find if there is any availability of the larger figures I picked up.   The nine packs I have are enough to put together a decent skirmish game, 36 foot figures and one mounted figure, mix of armed men and some unarmed civilians, men and women.  I figured the range was OOP but am hoping someone can still provide more information on the range - like who sculpted them and/or if not the original range perhaps a compatible range.  Mostly hoping for some additional mounted figures, if there were more.

I would not be surprised if the figures were by the Dixon Old West sculptor, somewhat similar in style.

For now, I am keeping them in their original package so no 'precise' measurements but I will try later to get a measurement of the figures and post up (too early to go out to the garage).  Did try a Google search and found one pack someone is asking $19 US for - one of the packs I already have.

Also, there may be someone out there who would place a much greater value on these packs to complete their collection than my casual interest.  I bought the figures just with the idea to paint them up to the best of my ability and then put them up for sale. 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 01:51:44 AM »
Took FOREVER and then a bit more for the photos to transfer from my phone to email - never had to wait so long.  But they are now loaded so I can show here.  Nine packs and then a shot showing size.

Here is the image showing size:

Again, if anyone has further information on the range, would love to hear from you.

And thanks!

Oh as far as 'similar to Dixon', these are clearly cruder but still serviceable.  I was just wondering if these might have been an early range in the development of the sculptor.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 01:59:06 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: Old range from Stone Mountain Miniatures in 25 mm? Photos added
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 12:55:14 PM »
Would you mind if I uploaded the pics onto the Lost Minis WIKI for posterity?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 03:10:29 PM »
Dozing Dragon,

Not at all - and if you find any additional information as a result of the upload, please let me know.

Thanks!

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 12:06:51 PM »
 Now those are old, should be fun to paint though.

Offline dgrosso

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 03:14:30 PM »
I think I have a few of the character packs, the sodbuster cowboy, and some Apaches at a con a few years back. They paint up easy and look good with my Dixons, Foundry and so forth.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 10:21:58 PM »
Those are the kinds of figures we had to play with in the 70's and 80's -  anatomy was sometimes dicey (big heads were common in many ranges)